How good of a putter are you?

Putting is definitely the weakest part of my game.

Ive had rounds with 14+ green in regulation and still shoot around 80.

Golf is hard and I should practice more.

McLovin;n8893842 said:
if i hit 18 gir, i would probably shoot level par, +/- 2 strokes. yes, i 3-putt sometimes. but i also 1-putt sometimes.

You'd be +/- 2 even if the ball was in the toughest spot in relation to the pin?

M2Giles;n8893850 said:
Putting is definitely the weakest part of my game.

Ive had rounds with 14+ green in regulation and still shoot around 80.

Golf is hard and I should practice more.

OK, 14 GIR is no joke. I don't think I've ever been over 10 and I KNOW I've never been over 11.

EDIT: OK, I hit 11 GIR when I shot a 75, but that was on a <5800y course so it doesn't seem real.

OGputtnfool;n8893938 said:
You'd be +/- 2 even if the ball was in the toughest spot in relation to the pin?

i like to think so

I'm a fair putter. I'm at 31.4 on the year, but if you knock off the first half dozen scores when I hadn't played in decades it's around 30. No way I could stroke 36 or less from the toughest spot on every home green though. I can think of maybe half a dozen where I'd prefer to chip from pretty much anywhere else. I'm fairly aggressive on approach, but there are some spots you just don't want to be, and avoid accordingly.

Since I've been injured the last few weeks I've been going out with the wife and just chipping and putting while she plays, sometimes trying to put myself in just about the worst possible spot on each hole and see if I can get up and down or two putt. It's been an education on pin locations and problems areas at our course. Thankfully my game doesn't tend to put me in those spots often.

Good enough for now. When I start getting more GIRs I'll visit that practice green more often.

I could be at 36 putts or under. According to my stats, I haven't been over that mark in quite a long time. But that's not saying I'm a great putter, that just says I can get around the course with a few 1 putts every now & then. But I will still throw in a few (1 or 2) 3 putts in the round. The few 1 putts always offset it pretty much & I don't play that poorly. But to say I'm a good putter .... Nah, I'd say I'm streaky.

I think I'm above average at putting. I am excellent at reading greens and picking out the correct line. I'm above average at hitting my mark, and roughly average at distance control. So I put those together to rate myself above average for a composite putting score.

My approach shots are the weakest part of my game, so I very often find myself with those long difficult putts from the opposite side of the green. Even taking that into account, it's a really poor day if I have more than 19 putts per 9 holes. I average about 17.

depending on green speed, I'm more than positive i could.

Not a hope in hell. Hole #10 and #15 alone you couldn't keep your first putt on the green from the high side.

I actually like really fast greens. Once I am adjusted to the speed I do really well on them. I can make a lot of putts inside 10 feet on fast greens. It's really all about speed control and reading the green on the long putts. Get them close enough to make the next one easily.

I would classify myself as a below average putter. This is an improvement from last year where I would say I was a heinous putter. Lots of practice and a Stroke Lab have given me renewed hope to be an average or above average putter next year.

Decent. I think I am around 0.5 better than scratch according to game golf. My dad told me I could always putt well as I would make at least 1 20+ footer every round as a kid.

In the past averaging around 35-38 putts per round. My last two round with the new putter, I have 29,30 putts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to my gamegolf, my lifetime is 1.9 putts per hole but the last dozen or so, I've been at around 2.11 putts per hole with a bunch of 3 putts.

For transparency, I don't count using a putter from off the green as putts. Am I wrong?

manhattan01;n8894275 said:
According to my gamegolf, my lifetime is 1.9 putts per hole but the last dozen or so, I've been at around 2.11 putts per hole with a bunch of 3 putts.

For transparency, I don't count using a putter from off the green as putts. Am I wrong?

That is how the PGA tour does it. It also counts as a putt if you putt it off the green and then chip the ball. The chip is a putt.

I am not sure it really matters as long as you do it the same every time so you can track improvement.

36 putts - not in my wheel house, right now I'm averaging 3.2 per hole, but I am getting 63% within 10 feet.

On my home course there are some greens that I'm not sure I could hold a green if the pins are in the toughest spots and I'm on the opposite side so I'll say no. On the other course I play often I think I probably could though.

There's no way for me. Two-putting with a GIR is tougher than averaging 2-putts per hole (my current average).

Most of my GIRs come from approach shots of 80 yards or longer. Since I only hit 4 or 5 those per 18, that leaves a ton of chips and putts from off the green. Of those two type of shots - an approach from 80, or a chip from just off the green - it's obvious which on average would leave me closest to the hole.

Now I'm curious what my average score relative to par is on holes with a GIR.

manhattan01;n8894275 said:

No, you're not wrong. If you're off the green, you're not putting, you're chipping.

I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

I think that I could do it. 2 putts on each hole, no problem. The greens on my home course arent that difficult though. Most of them are pretty flat and slow.

I was never the greatest putter, but I practiced it a lot and got decent at it. I haven't been able to get out and practice very much this year and boy does it show. I'm averaging 2-3 more putts per round this year.

Back