How long did it take?

colorado_wade

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey everyone!

I'm just getting back into the game after quite a few years off. My swing isn't a total train wreck, but it's pretty inconsistent. I'm still hitting behind the ball a lot, and topping the ball a lot. How long did it take before you were making good consistent contact with the ball, and your divot was in front of the ball, instead of behind it?

Thanks!
Wade

After years I'm still searching, good thing I'm a patient man.

Have you tried moving the ball back in your stance a bit?

Until I put in the time and work a couple years away was about 10 stroke difference

Ya, I moved the ball back a bit, and that helped, but it's still pretty inconsistent.

Ya, I moved the ball back a bit, and that helped, but it's still pretty inconsistent.
I find when I hit the ball fat it's because I am coming out of my spine angle and dipping a little. Could be the cause of thin shots as well. Spine angle. Just a thought.

2 years of consistent play and the occasional pointer from the club pro.

Another thing you can try is shortening your backswing a bit. I tend to lose it a bit at the top if I try a full swing which can cause me to cast. I have found that I am really not losing much distance (if any) because my upper and lower body is more in sync. My instructor looked at my flexibility and said I should go back farther than 10 o'clock.

I'd echo some of the other posts and say it depends on the time you put in. I was a 12 handicap as teenager but quit the game for years. Came back to it in my 30s and over 2 years of hard work and lessons I've dropped from a 25 to a 13 handicap. I still hit fat shots though :-/

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I don't think mishits will ever be completely eliminated. I think if you want to get on the right path, find an instructor that can help guide you. One can make fantastic improvement on their own, but a good instructor is worth their weight in gold.

Still working on it, my recommendation is find a pro or get a good camera so you can get a good idea of what you are actually doing vs what you think you are doing.

I had a lesson yesterday and in 5 minutes he diagnosed a problem that I completely missed and would have spent hours troubleshooting other things.

I don't think mishits will ever be completely eliminated. I think if you want to get on the right path, find an instructor that can help guide you. One can make fantastic improvement on their own, but a good instructor is worth their weight in gold.
Truth. Just watched a pro in us open miss a par 3 green by 20+ yards.

Invest in some lessons or put some video up on here for Panda to look at. It is really hard to fix your own swing. 99.9% of the time people just end up making it worse. Then you have to put in the work to fix it or you will see the same results.

Well so far I am at 3 years and counting and i still haven't found that "good" swing. it will always be a work in progress.

Another thing you can try is shortening your backswing a bit. I tend to lose it a bit at the top if I try a full swing which can cause me to cast. I have found that I am really not losing much distance (if any) because my upper and lower body is more in sync. My instructor looked at my flexibility and said I should go back farther than 10 o'clock.

Thanks - great advice. I've been using the v1 app and watching in slow-mo. I'll see how far back I'm taking my backswing and shorten it up a bit.

Invest in some lessons or put some video up on here for Panda to look at. It is really hard to fix your own swing. 99.9% of the time people just end up making it worse. Then you have to put in the work to fix it or you will see the same results.

I'll see if I can get a video posted. I didn't realize that was an option. Is there a specific place, or way to post a video for Panda to look at, or just into this post?

Thanks - great advice. I've been using the v1 app and watching in slow-mo. I'll see how far back I'm taking my backswing and shorten it up a bit.

I should have said I should go back no farther than 10 o'clock. But I find a shorter backswing has helped me being more consistent in my ball striking.

Definitely don't try to self diagnose swing faults and absolutely do not turn to magazines and YouTube videos for swing fixes. Those fixes only work for the specific fault and specific swing they are referencing. A good instructor is by far the best option.

Hey everyone!

I'm just getting back into the game after quite a few years off. My swing isn't a total train wreck, but it's pretty inconsistent. I'm still hitting behind the ball a lot, and topping the ball a lot. How long did it take before you were making good consistent contact with the ball, and your divot was in front of the ball, instead of behind it?

Thanks!
Wade

Get some lessons. Makes it much easier to get re-started.

Let's not count the first 16 years because I wasn't serious enough to try to be better. It took me 3 years to have a swing I'm happy with from the day I took getting better at golf seriously.

Oh good question, depends on practice time and bow much you dedicate to it for me it took a few years

About 37 years and counting... Consistent ball striking with irons has always been my opportunity for some reason. Almost never hit them fat but hit a lot of bottom groove draw / hooks when I don't intend to. Fortunately, my wedge play, including full swings with them, is typically very strong and the rest of my game is pretty solid.

Back