How long do you go between haircuts? who does it for you?

My wife cuts mine when it gets to the point where I can’t stand it any longer. Usually about every 2-3 months

I'm surprise how man "my wife cuts mine" we have.

My limited hairs find this topic offensive.

I'm surprise how man "my wife cuts mine" we have.
My wife tried it once. I went back to my barber and she asked "Who did this to you?!?". We almost had to shave my head to fix it. Wife isn't allowed anywhere near my dome with sharp objects anymore.

Cutting a flat top is an art form, and not just any barber/stylist can do it. I've had a lot more bad ones than good ones, and when I find a barber who can cut a good one I hang on to them.

Last edited:
4 weeks but need to switch to 3

my wife cuts it with clippers and no guard

Random... sometimes its 2-3 weeks. Others 6-8 weeks. Depends on what I have going on and if I care about my wife's complaints over it

Remember the Flowbee? The hair cutting contraption that hooks up to a vacuum? Yeah, they're still in business, and yeah, I use one to cut my own hair.

Has to be 6 years now. After moving here from NY and routinely getting my hair butchered, I knew that I couldn't do any worse. I'd switch barbers, get a decent cut, return, and get butchered by the same danged person. Happened a few times, and I was done.

As to how long in between? Usually 4 to 6 weeks. I still have a full head of hair at 56, and it grows fast, but it takes about 30 minutes with the Flowbee to get it right. And I don't like doing it.

This time, it has to be 2+ months by now. The hair is way too long. But, my son's getting married on the 26th, and the melon needs about 2 weeks post-cut to look its best. So, I'm stalling.

Not much left to harvest. 6 weeks w/Wahl kit. Wife does it.

Every 5 weeks. I had a barber when we lived in CA for 20 years that was the only person to cut my hair but the last 5 years I’ve just gone to Great Clips or Sports Clips. I need to find just one good barber again as the variability is real.

While I was active duty, 5 days... Now? 2 weeks.

I remember just letting any of the barbers cut my hair then one day a Master Sergeant actually asked about my haircut and when I told him I let this one guy cut it, his response was:

"devil dog... No. You never let dudes cut your hair."

Me - "why is that?"

"women cut your hair to make you more attractive to them... Men cut your hair to eliminate competition..."

It took me 25yrs to let a guy cut my hair after that... And that thought still goes through my head while sitting in the chair...

4-5 weeks. The same girl has cut my hair since I moved back to KC in 2019, even followed her to a couple of new salons.

Once I find someone who knows how to cut it (I don't want to explain how to cut it because I don't really know) AND someone who doesn't talk too much but has similar interests to me... I don't want to leave

Every couple of weeks I’ll do it myself, 1/2” guard all over, takes about five minutes…COVID has saved me a lot of money.

Once a week when I shave my follically challenged head

I shave my head myself once or twice a week.

Every three weeks and I go to the same place my wife goes to…helps me feel pretty 🤩

In all seriousness- my buddies daughter is a “stylist” and has cut my hair for the last 10 years….

While I was active duty, 5 days... Now? 2 weeks.

I remember just letting any of the barbers cut my hair then one day a Master Sergeant actually asked about my haircut and when I told him I let this one guy cut it, his response was:

"devil dog... No. You never let dudes cut your hair."

Me - "why is that?"

"women cut your hair to make you more attractive to them... Men cut your hair to eliminate competition"

It took me 25yrs to let a guy cut my hair after that... And that thought still goes through my head while sitting in the chair...
I agree with this. I get a haircut 4 times a year, so about every 3 months. The woman used to have her own salon in a local strip plaza, but now works out of a shop her husband built for her in their garage. Back when the hair salons, barber shops, and whatever other "non-essential" businesses were closed down during the Covid panic, errrr, pandemic, she, of course, had no income, but the plaza owner sure wanted his rent money every month. She vowed to get out of there as soon as her lease was up.

I found her completely by accident and absolutely loved the way she cut my hair. And just a cut, not a "style". It looked great out of the chair. It looked great after the first wash (a big test), and continued to look great as it grew out. Early last year it was discovered by a mechanic that the frame on my truck was so rotted out he actually advised me not to have the work done. So, for a while I had no wheels, so no way to get to her place and I needed a haircut badly! So, I found a barber shop that I could walk to. The guy asked me what I wanted done, but I think that was just a courtesy. I think the guy knows how to give one kind of haircut.

Long story long, I GOT BUTCHERED! Meanwhile, I found some wheels, waited quite a while to let my hair grow out, and made an appointment with the woman I prefer. I walked into her shop and she asked me, "What happened to you?!" I explained the situation and she went to work. When she was done she said, "Well, after cutting about two heads of hair off of you, I think I have you looking pretty decent." And I was. I'm due for another very soon.

Now that I think about it, way back in the day I got set up with a hair stylist by a customer of mine. It was kind of a little "mini mall". My customer had a wine shop, and there was a hair salon in the mall as well. The hair stylist would stop in and look around. She told me later that the owner told her, "You have to meet this guy. He's really cute, but he needs to do something about his hair!" So, she introduced us, and we dated for a bit. The first thing that happened was that I made an appointment her for a wash and cut. Her advice about hair care products was invaluable because I was totally ignorant. I washed my hair with bar soap and no conditioner! It was like I had a haystack on my head!

Usually every 4 weeks to local Barber Shop. Used to do the stylist cut but her hours kept switching so needed something more walk in but won’t walk in to a Great Chops

I agree with this. I get a haircut 4 times a year, so about every 3 months. The woman used to have her own salon in a local strip plaza, but now works out of a shop her husband built for her in their garage. Back when the hair salons, barber shops, and whatever other "non-essential" businesses were closed down during the Covid panic, errrr, pandemic, she, of course, had no income, but the plaza owner sure wanted his rent money every month. She vowed to get out of there as soon as her lease was up.
We weren't shut down as long as a lot of other states were, but during the shutdown I was wondering what I was going to do for a haircut. My barber texted me and told me I was welcome to stop by his house for a beer. He also casually mentioned that he had brought his barber chair and all his tools home from the shop when the shutdown happened. He had a lot of friends stopping by for beers.

I usually go about 5 weeks...preferebly 3 weeks, but trying to save money

5 weeks? About that? Every since lock downs and all that in 2020 I started doing my own hair and haven't looked back!

I've even been tasked with giving my kids hairs cuts now which being under 2 is an adventure to say the least!

My Mom used to tell a story about my first haircut. I still had my "baby locks", which my Mom saved some of them and gave them to me quite some time ago, I understand why they were important to her, I was her first born, but they weren't important at all to me. Anyway, I still have them in a drawer somewhere! When it was my turn the barber put the booster seat in and my Dad sat me in it. Then, he and my Mom returned to their chairs. The barber looked at them said, "Aren't you going to hold him?" My Mom said that I would be fine and wouldn't fuss at all. And I didn't. The barber was amazed. I also amazed the optometrist when I got my first pair of glasses.

Back