How Long for You to Get Comfortable with Your New Driver?

So after 4 years wandering in the bargain bins I buy a brand new up-to-date driver, an M1, set to 7.5 degrees, full length Kuro Kage 60 shaft. So I'm going through an acquaintance party with it, getting the feel of the thing and finding the right tempo.

Which got me to wonder, how long does it take for you to be totally comfortable with your driver? How many games or sessions on the range?

I haven't seen your swing or numbers but I am going to go out on a limb and say there is no way you should play an M1 at 7.5* I guess you can get away with it of your SS is like 120 and your AOA is +7 or something, even then I can't imagine it being close to optimal.

In no way am I talking **** about your swing or anything so don't take it the wrong way.

As for the answer to the question not long at all. Driver is an easy club to know if I will like it or not.

I know after about 5 to 10 swings of it won't work. My issue is when the honeymoon period ends (my driver swing disappears)...

I haven't seen your swing or numbers but I am going to go out on a limb and say there is no way you should play an M1 at 7.5* I guess you can get away with it of your SS is like 120 and your AOA is +7 or something, even then I can't imagine it being close to optimal.

In no way am I talking **** about your swing or anything so don't take it the wrong way.

As for the answer to the question not long at all. Driver is an easy club to know if I will like it or not.

Thanks bro. No offense taken. It's just a science experiment which I want to take to the course. It's highly probable I'm going to dial it back to 9 or 9.5, I just gotta figure out my spin issues without the benefit of a launch monitor. Keep you posted here.

I went to the driving range today. Still no go with the 2013 vector golf launch monitor, and they said I needed an appointment.

I practiced with the M1 anyway. I settled for 10 degrees, two clicks draw bias, and the rear weight all the way up front. Time to test the M1 Abrams in the war zone.

Last edited:
I normally don't have a getting use to period. If I did, it was during the buying process as I hit the prospective driver enough times during that decision phase to see if I'm going to like it and if there is anything that would require me to adjust to it.

Back