How long till we see a full set of Hybrids??

I guess I could just be wrong, but like I said, I've never seen them in the wild.

I played all of last season with the Cobra T-Rails (5 iron-Gap Wedge). They will be in my bag again when my season resumes.

It has already been done.

Here is my bag setup, you will notice 4h thru 8h. Hybrids are so easy to hit compared to irons, which I have the tendency to
hit fat or thin. No so much with hybrids. The list below is 15 clubs and I will have to decide which club gets left out of the bag
with the purchase of the 8h. Probably the 7i.

Golf Bag setup
Drvr 10.5° 230 yds Mav Max
4w 16.5° 185-210 yds Mav
4h 21° 175-185 yds Mav Max
5h 24° 165-175 yds "
6h 27° 155-165 yds "
7h 30° 145-155 yds "
8h 33° 135-145 yds "
7i 31° 140-150 yds
8i 35° 140 yds
9i 40° 130 yds
pw 45° 120 yds
aw 50° 110 yds
sw 54° 50-100 yds
lw 58° 50 yds
Putter

I’m a big fan of hybrids. I hit the G425 6h yesterday as I’m looking for a 5i replacement. It hit the intended yardage, spin and descent angle I was looking for. And with my swing would be much easier to hit than a 5i and I play large hollow body irons. So while it may not work for you others may find a totally opposite conclusion .
I think one thing that needs to be considered too is the shaft length of that 7h is going to be longer than a 7i. It’s 38.25” and the way ping measures is to the end of the shaft so with a grip will be 38.5”. To where a normal 7i is around 37” these days. In my experience hybrids usually replace an iron stronger than the number stamped on it because of the longer than an iron shaft length. So for example for me If I were to use a g425 7h it would replace my 6i and so on.

They are not in stores yet here locally for a couple weeks. I’m hoping my experience is better! Since I love my G410 6 Hybrid I’m thinking it will be.

I'm not sure if maybe I was swinging wrong, or maybe it was the shallow, but highly lofted face that was throwing me off. Might have also been the length + regular flex graphite shaft (it may have been a senior flex). I generally give Ping engineers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to these things - so I have no issues believing the higher lofted hybrids are probably excellent fits for lots of players. I loved what I felt with the lower-lofted hybrids so the quality is there :)

Cobra already makes one. Cleveland has one as well, I would consider them major, as does wilson and and a few others.

Are you taking about the hi bores or the t rails? Those are hybrid irons. I’m talking about full sized hybrids like shown in the pic in my original post except all the way up to a PW Loft.

Last edited:
Here is my bag setup, you will notice 4h thru 8h. Hybrids are so easy to hit compared to irons, which I have the tendency to
hit fat or thin. No so much with hybrids. The list below is 15 clubs and I will have to decide which club gets left out of the bag
with the purchase of the 8h. Probably the 7i.

Golf Bag setup
Drvr 10.5° 230 yds Mav Max
4w 16.5° 185-210 yds Mav
4h 21° 175-185 yds Mav Max
5h 24° 165-175 yds "
6h 27° 155-165 yds "
7h 30° 145-155 yds "
8h 33° 135-145 yds "
7i 31° 140-150 yds
8i 35° 140 yds
9i 40° 130 yds
pw 45° 120 yds
aw 50° 110 yds
sw 54° 50-100 yds
lw 58° 50 yds
Putter

I think you stole my yardages
Lol

Last night I hit on my buddy’s GC2 for 3 hours.
Driver was 230-248
7w - 202
5h - 167-173
6i - 155
7i - 145
8i - 135
GW- 105
SW - 85

Cleveland was ahead of its time with the altitudes...and now the launchers...

My FIL loves hybrids

Doubtful if ever, any "major" will indulge your fantasy of an all "full size true hybrid" set. It may seem smart to you, but it's not to most. I play multiple hybrids, but I understand their limitations. Longer shafts are not easier to hit and budge and roll with a hot jumpy face are not what everyone wants in their short scoring irons.

Not sure what you have against hybrid iron sets. There are quite a few set out that provide better than hybrid ease with an iron face and better control. My Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Forged irons are another example with forged heads, high launch and long distance that work surprising well in both soft and hard conditions. They are also better from trouble than a standard hybrid and a much better chipper as well. I've moved on to standard CB Bridgestones, but these were a lot of fun. Give any of them a try.

Doubtful if ever, any "major" will indulge your fantasy of an all "full size true hybrid" set. It may seem smart to you, but it's not to most. I play multiple hybrids, but I understand their limitations. Longer shafts are not easier to hit and budge and roll with a hot jumpy face are not what everyone wants in their short scoring irons.

Not sure what you have against hybrid iron sets. There are quite a few set out that provide better than hybrid ease with an iron face and better control. My Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Forged irons are another example with forged heads, high launch and long distance that work surprising well in both soft and hard conditions. They are also better from trouble than a standard hybrid and a much better chipper as well. I've moved on to standard CB Bridgestones, but these were a lot of fun. Give any of them a try.

I don’t have anything against hybrid irons at all. I had a set of Adams V3s. They were great clubs. My point was it seems like companies are slowly moving in that direction.

I hit my buddies set of Pinhawk single length hybrids (4, 5, 6, 7, 8h) last night on his sim setup. It was like dropping darts. Fun set but once again just can’t deal with all the covers in the bag

Any company that marketed a full set of hybrids might do well do throw in a "chipper" for free...

Any company that marketed a full set of hybrids might do well do throw in a "chipper" for free...
Maltby has a hybrid chipper. My buddy owned it. I hit it. It was decently good

Maltby has a hybrid chipper. My buddy owned it. I hit it. It was decently good
I've had days (last Saturday being a PRIME example) where a chipper would have saved me several strokes (I hate Bermuda grass, I HATE IT!!!).

That said, a chipper can prevent truly bad shots, but it will never be as versatile as a wedge; nor will it ever be able to accomplish all the tremendously good shots that a wedge can. A full set of hybrids would be similar IMO - yes, easy to hit and easy to get airborne, but never as versatile or able to do what an iron can do (especially in the scoring clubs).

Ooh, this is a good time to quote my late dad - "The correct road is rarely the easiest road son".

I have hit a 7 Cleveland Launcher HB and like it. I would like to by a set but the only seller I see is 2nd swing. Their prices are ridiculous so I refuse to deal with them. I'll find a set soon at a reasonable price. They are easy to hit. Cleveland is a major brand to me.

I've had days (last Saturday being a PRIME example) where a chipper would have saved me several strokes (I hate Bermuda grass, I HATE IT!!!).

That said, a chipper can prevent truly bad shots, but it will never be as versatile as a wedge; nor will it ever be able to accomplish all the tremendously good shots that a wedge can. A full set of hybrids would be similar IMO - yes, easy to hit and easy to get airborne, but never as versatile or able to do what an iron can do (especially in the scoring clubs).

Ooh, this is a good time to quote my late dad - "The correct road is rarely the easiest road son".

Yeah haha you lose that green side chip shot fast when you go down South. I use my putter almost exclusively around the green

I’m tempted to order 3-7 Ping G425 hybrids and then find some iBlades or i210s in 8-PW

I will resurrect this thread in 2023-24 (or sooner) when Ping, Callaway or Cobra adds the 38,42 and 46 degree full sized hybrids to their lineup. 🤣

I used to own a set of Nike Irons (Sumo SQ) which were hybrid irons from 3-7 Iron. Then the 8-W were cavity backs, I really enjoyed them and really helped with learn the game and get some consistency.

I noticed there's a Chinese manufacturer called Wazaki that sell an entire set, they come up on ebay at times. Interesting clubs, would love to try the wedges, but they seem to only be sold in sets rather than individuals.

I hit my buddies set of Pinhawk single length hybrids (4, 5, 6, 7, 8h) last night on his sim setup. It was like dropping darts. Fun set but once again just can’t deal with all the covers in the bag
I will agree with this assessment. Although, I just purchased 5 callaway knitted headcovers to alleviate this issue. I would never refuse to use a club that would benefit my game because of how it fit into my bag or style.

I will agree with this assessment. Although, I just purchased 5 callaway knitted headcovers to alleviate this issue. I would never refuse to use a club that would benefit my game because of how it fit into my bag or style.
The knitted covers help for sure. Given I usually carry a couple hybrids and fairway woods I bought some knitted hybrid covers for my Tour Edge hybrids. The Club Glove neoprene covers are also pretty slim.

With the Acer hybrid set I had, their covers were so clunky that even with a large 14 way top, it just seemed way overcrowded and was difficult to find the club you needed to hit :)

My buddy who has the Pinhawks actually bought a set of Cleveland Altitude iron covers that fit pretty tight and slim as well. Those are an alternative for all hybrid sets too.

What 4-8 hybrids are you playing?
Its not showing in your signature.

Cleveland was ahead of its time with the altitudes...and now the launchers...

My FIL loves hybrids
And the HB3's, which were just before the Altitudes. I still play those a lot.

What 4-8 hybrids are you playing?
Its not showing in your signature.
4 thru 8 Mav Max hybrids
4 = 21*
5 = 24*
6 = 27*
7 = 30*
8 = 33*
I just hit my 8 hybrid yesterday at Top Golf, and likeed the results. It's hard to judge distance with their range balls, but I am expecting to get about 140 yard +/- with it.

Back