How many balls do you lose per round?

On average, how many balls do you lose per round?

• Less than 1

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • 1-2

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • 2-3

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • 3-4

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • 4-6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6+

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
The only time I loose a ball is when it finds water other than that if I hit it in the woods 9/10 times I find mine plus about 4-5 others

I've gone 60+ holes without losing a ball, but then could turn around and lose 3 in the next round. Just depends on that days swing, but in general I won't lose a ball a round.

It matters which course I'm playing. Sometimes I can go multiple rounds using the same ball. Other times, I can lose 3-4 a round if the course has tight fairways surrounded by thick woods. I will say, sometimes I just say "ehh f*** it" and not even try to find it - especially if I see poison ivy anywhere close to where my ball could be.

That's fair, and that is one I was including in club/tee selection. If you can't make it and keep trying you or me or anyone probably should have moved up or changed their club/approach. I certainly wasn't trying to trigger anyone or make them feel guilty about their struggles. Course management is a skill and not knowing or being good at it is different than not being able to execute it. I guess I just assume it doesn't take long to see what's definitely not working in terms of attempted shots, and try something else next time. I'm sure there's peer influence and personal expectations involved in some of that too. I encourage someone to let more of any of that go and suggest shots more likely to succeed when I play with them though.
This is true. I’ve played with people who play the wrong tees because the people they play with want to play farther back. I play whatever tee works for me and I don’t care what everyone else plays but I do sometimes make poor selections or shots on my 2nd shot.

Usually if I’m having a good round 0-2. But I’ll tin cup it sometimes so I’ve had days where I’ve lost 2 dozen.

I am usually a 2-3 per round on average. Have never actually played a full round and not lost a ball. Was close the other day, was on 16 with the same ball and hit second shot (par 5 parallel with the road) to the right side that should have been just in the rough and hit something and shot over the road. Still have no idea what it hit as I couldn't find anything in what I thought was the landing area. Dropped there and finished the round with that one.

Today was a zero balls lost day - I had one that made expeditions into the water, the bushes and the desert, but I found it and retrieved it each time. Some balls like to stick around, others are just delinquent runaways!

I've gone as little as 0 or more than 10-- just depends on how I'm playing. This year? Two rounds ago it was 10, last round it was 1. So I vary haha.

To clarify-- the round with 10 wasn't poor choices, it was poor execution and unfavorable bounces.

So my wife can hit 260 yard drives like that, in any direction. She's strong and wild, because she's new to it. We've worked on her hitting a more manageable 185 though. She's never lost 10 balls, and doesn't have to go down to a 9-iron off the tee to keep it in play. She just chooses a swing that's easier to control, which is a part of actual course management (choosing the right club and swing for that club).

We can agree to disagree, but to me, you're just choosing whatever your goals are (distance, hopeful position, whatever) over your desire to not lose your ball. Which like I said, is probably fine. We all do it, and I scream one into someone else's fairway every now and then. If it was regular or cost me a bunch of balls, I would change my approach. To each their own though.

Its not like I swing all out and am off balance. 260 for me is either a mishit (like in the pic), into a wind, or a very easy swing. And yeah I'd lose slightly less balls if I tried to hit it 260 every time, but I'm pretty sure my scores would be higher. Its not like I magically start hitting the ball straight when I swing softer. Pretty much the only reason I hit fewer balls out of play swinging 80% is because you go less offline the shorter you hit it. So yeah I'm not doing everything I can to not lose balls but the goal of golf is to shoot the lowest score not to lose the fewest amount of balls.

P.S. You can eye roll as much as you want but it doesn't make you right lol

Last edited:
Most days I finish with my ball.

Some days I can lose a sleeve

Its not like I swing all out and am off balance. 260 for me is either a mishit (like in the pic), into a wind, or a very easy swing. And yeah I'd lose slightly less balls if I tried to hit it 260 every time, but I'm pretty sure my scores would be higher. Its not like I magically start hitting the ball straight when I swing softer. Pretty much the only reason I hit fewer balls out of play swinging 80% is because you go less offline the shorter you hit it. So yeah I'm not doing everything I can to not lose balls but the goal of golf is to shoot the lowest score not to lose the fewest amount of balls.

P.S. You can eye roll as much as you want but it doesn't make you right lol

I eye rolled because your argument for 10+ lost balls is that you excel at course management and it's the best way to score.

This is where I say it's been nice meeting you and move along.

Last edited:
No offense but you have no idea how hard it is for some people to hit it straight.

For a lot of us, the best thing we can do strategy wise is aim in the exact middle between the right hand and left hand hazards and hope we hit it straight enough. Bad days will result in lots of balls going into hazards.

Last edited:
Come play at my course and save money; hard to lose a ball here ;)

Come play at my course and save money; hard to lose a ball here ;)

Haha yeah I've started avoiding some of the narrow courses around here because of the expected cost of lost balls. It should go without saying that number of balls lost per round is course dependent. I mean I'm bad enough to lose 10 balls in a round, but there are some courses which that will just never happen at.

I’ve had my days when a brand new box is opened and very few made it home :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually can play the same ball for multiple rounds, but with my unique swing losing 1 or 2 a round isn’t uncommon if I can’t find them.

I put 1-2 on average. That's unless I'm playing Cypress at Arrowhead. https://www.arrowheadcc.com/course/the-cypress/
then the skies is the limit.
Fun looking golf course, but yeah, have to add the cost of several lost golf balls to whatever the green fee is.
I probably average 2 or 3 lost per round but I'm on an unusually lucky streak right now. Same ball made it safely through my last 3 rounds.

Back