How many sets of irons do you use in a year?

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
How many iron sets are you playing with? I've always had one set that I played with throughout the year, but some of these deals have me itching to get a second set to play with...... Just worried that it could affect my game significantly.

What are your experiences with it?

I would say one set. Admittedly, I will tinker for the hell of it and maybe play my older i25's or R7's once or twice throughout the year. Just for the hell of it.

One.

I stick with one set, in fact I only own one set. There was a time when I had 4-5 sets but never really changed mid season. I feel like I hit a lot of range at the beginning of the season to work with what I've got for the remainder of the season. Really it boils down to wanting to get into a groove and staying there.

I only play usually with one set during a year unless I change. I don't normally flip back and forth.

I try to pick a set and stick with it from spring until fall. Then by late fall, I start messing around with other sets to decide for the next season.

I have the same set, at the moment I have 4 different 6 irons for head/shaft testing but today I'm keeping one in the bag for the first social distancing hit. I have some older irons I want to clean up so they look better and maybe play them for a change of pace. Hard to not buy new toys tho

One set, I want consistency through the year.

depends how busy the reviews are haha

Last year my first 5-7 rounds were played with p790's, and then my Apex Combo set came in.
The year prior I think I started with MP18 MMC, Srixon 565, then reviewed M4 irons, added p790, reviewed JGR HF1,
I will tend to do a throwback round or two where I will add my old i10's and J40 DPC.

Generally not more than one. I try to keep irons in play for a whole year.

One, unless I purchase new during the season and work into them.

I've been playing my M1's that I bought in 2017 right when I got back into golf. After I switched to my Epic Flash driver it has made me want to give the Epic iron's a try. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for my bank account, my wife would not understand the need of changing irons mid-season. She fully expects my irons to last me at least another 5 years, and she probably isn't wrong.

How many iron sets are you playing with? I've always had one set that I played with throughout the year, but some of these deals have me itching to get a second set to play with...... Just worried that it could affect my game significantly.

One

Considering I have about 5 sets in the corner of the Nut Cave, I should be able to play with multiple sets a year. But I stick with one all year. Once I find a shaft that is performing for me, I don't switch. Unless I have the same shafts in another set. (y)

I may use more than one during a year but I generally don’t flip back and forth. When I go to a new set I generally don’t go back.

I will stick with one set for a year. I only have one set just lying around, and it doesnt really fit my swing. An old set of Cleveland CG reds.

Just one for me. I've always wanted to bring a 5,7,9 out and see how they compare from my old set just for curiosity since it's been so long since I've gamed them, but Apex staying in the bag for now.

Just one set. Since going through a fitting i am really loving my titleist T300s!

I've played one iron set the last 2 years. Did a bunch of testing this winter. I plan to keep playing my current mp-18 set until later this year. I like where my game is at and hopefully going. Staying consistent with irons is comforting. Letting my gear addiction interests out of the box doesn't feel wise. But that's today. Tomorrow may manifest a completely different take. :cool:

A few years ago I purchased 5 different Mizuno iron sets (MP63, MP59, MY15, MP4, MP5), and rotated same throughout a year, playing each set for approximately 12 rounds of golf. I did this experiment to learn whether there was any differences to shot making and, or, scoring between the iron models. After the year my conclusion was that there were essentially no materially significant differences.

Last year I stuck with one set. Pretty soon I'll be on my third set that I've tried and that should be it for the rest of the year. On average though I'll probably have two.

One set all year last year. Drivers on the other hand are a different story. I think I went through about a dozen drivers last year. Constantly tinkering with the driver.

More like one per decade.

You are asking for information that is classified. Let’s just say that everybody at the local store knows me well by my first name.

Actually, this year, I feel very settled into and happy with what I am playing.

Just one set that I play with but I have tried a couple sets from guys I know that were selling there's to try them out. One of those guys has about 3-4 sets and will sometimes play different ones.

Back