How many strokes am I giving up by playing old/cheap equipment?

Id say little to none. Clubs don't go from working to not working anymore just because newer clubs have come out.
Ive got clubs that are fairly new and Ive got clubs that are about 60 years old and both work just fine.

I agree for irons, but woods and drivers in particular have gotten longer. My M3 has a significant ball speed edge on my K15.

Dave

I agree for irons, but woods and drivers in particular have gotten longer. My M3 has a significant ball speed edge on my K15.

Dave
How much of a distance difference is it? Id contend that 10-20 yards more with the driver isn't that big of a deal for most people. I will agree with you that when I compare my vintage bag to my modern bag that the biggest difference is off the tee. By no means am I a long-hitter but I can hit my modern driver 250 easy, with my persimmons, Im lucky to hit it 200.
Theres a big difference between realizing that you don't need the latest and greatest clubs (Im talking 5-10 year old clubs here) and trying to compare vintage persimmons to the lastest and greatest metalwoods. The game was just so different back in the days of persimmon.

How much of a distance difference is it? Id contend that 10-20 yards more with the driver isn't that big of a deal for most people. I will agree with you that when I compare my vintage bag to my modern bag that the biggest difference is off the tee. By no means am I a long-hitter but I can hit my modern driver 250 easy, with my persimmons, Im lucky to hit it 200.
Theres a big difference between realizing that you don't need the latest and greatest clubs (Im talking 5-10 year old clubs here) and trying to compare vintage persimmons to the lastest and greatest metalwoods. The game was just so different back in the days of persimmon.

I didn't hit enough shots with the K15 recently to confirm, but I think it is at least a 5 mph ball speed advantage for the M3 for me. I expect part of that is the fit is not great for the K15.

Dave

Back