How to Deal with Someone Selling a Fake

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I know a guy (through the internets) who is selling a counterfeit Tour Rat putter. It's a putter that would fool ANYONE other than a small group of people that were caught up in a big scam a few years ago. The seller is an honest guy. I have dealt with him before, and run in the same online groups.

My dilemma lies in its my word against his. He doesn't believe it to be fake. He had some of his collector buddies look at it and they all say it's good. I had some of my TCC buddies look at it, and we compared it to the pics in the thread concerning the aforementioned scam, and have concluded it is, in fact, rubbish.

How can I go about convincing my online friend that what he has is no good, and to save himself the trouble of the aftermath if this is found out by a buyer? Should I offer to buy the putter with a return guarantee, and send it off to Acushnet for a letter? That's not exactly a few grand I want to spend.

all you can do is offer the info you have, after that, its on them. I get you're just trying to save him a future headache, but people are tough to away.

If you are sure, why not just notify the brand and let them handle it? Seems like an easy solution.

If you are sure, why not just notify the brand and let them handle it? Seems like an easy solution.
Because it's for sale in a private facebook group. I wouldn't be able to provide a link. The only thing I could do is reach out to Lisa at Acushnet legal and see if they would send a letter based off pictures, but they would probably want the item in hand to confirm (the thing is really THAT good.)

I don't deal in high-end putters, but I do resell expensive sneakers, so there is a bit of overlap here.

I have been in similar situations to you, and unfortunately, all you can do is inform them and let them make their own decision. I wouldn't advise buying it yourself.

You have told him that it is fake, if he wants to believe it isn't, it is his headache to deal with down the road.

Because it's for sale in a private facebook group. I wouldn't be able to provide a link. The only thing I could do is reach out to Lisa at Acushnet legal and see if they would send a letter based off pictures, but they would probably want the item in hand to confirm (the thing is really THAT good.)
It’s not hard to screen shot images, then send to a company for verification. What they choose to do at that point is up to them, but if you are sure it’s counterfeit, you did the right thing by making sure verification can be done.

It’s not hard to screen shot images, then send to a company for verification. What they choose to do at that point is up to them, but if you are sure it’s counterfeit, you did the right thing by making sure verification can be done.
He ended up pulling the listing. I think he's going to take it up with the person be acquired it from

Back