How to find out tip diameter without pulling the adapter?

Inioch

Morgan Cup 2024 participant! #HackersNation
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a problem. I'm trying to sell a couple of SteelFiber shafts with Callaway hybrid adapters locally. Now the potential buyer wants to know if the tip is .355 or .370.

Is there a way to find out without pulling the adapters? He wants to put one in a 4i head, hence the question. Any ideas or info on which Callaway uses for hybrids?

'Usually' hybrids are .370 tips, look up the shaft specs for the club & that may tell you.

Edit: I just thought, comparing the overall diameter of the adapter of the hybrid to a Callaway driver adapter where the dhaft goes in as well will give you a hint, most hybrid adapters are larger diameter overall than driver (at least ones I seen).

I have a problem. I'm trying to sell a couple of SteelFiber shafts with Callaway hybrid adapters locally. Now the potential buyer wants to know if the tip is .355 or .370.

Is there a way to find out without pulling the adapters? He wants to put one in a 4i head, hence the question. Any ideas or info on which Callaway uses for hybrids?
The Cally adapters are 370

'Usually' hybrids are .370 tips, look up the shaft specs for the club & that may tell you.
I purchased the shaft separately later and don't know where it was taken from :( Thought to use it in my ESH but wasn't the right fit.

My dad was a mechanic and I learned how to use a dial caliper as a young kid. I thought everyone had one of these in their toolbox. :)

IMG_0350.jpeg

Last edited:
My dad was a mechanic and I learned how to use a dial caliper as a young kid. I thought everyone had one of these in their toolbox. :)

View attachment 9247353
I do have one, but the point was to figure out the tip diameter without pulling the adapter to measure it.

I do have one, but the point was to figure out the tip diameter without pulling the adapter to measure it.
Does the diameter of a .335 or .370 shaft taper in that last inch where it is inserted into the adapter? In my experience they don’t have much if any taper.

Last edited:
Measure right at the top of the adapter. If it’s a .370 tip it will measure right at or near there. With paint it might read a bit larger than .370. Taper tip will read under .370.

Or, check to see if your club is listed here.

Hybrid adapters are .370

Are they iron shafts or hybrid specific models? The Steelfiber FC Hybrid shafts for instance have "HY" on them and only come in .370.

If they are iron shafts that someone put in hybrid adapters you are probably correct to not assume, as you can definitely make a .355 shaft work in a .370 adapter

I would think not all.
The adapters are used throughout a series so 2-5 hybrid for instance and never change. The only thing that would is the tip prepping on the shaft as far as what is taken off for club head weight, also why hybrid shafts are 3-8” model depending on the parallel tip length to account for those. If .355 taper a specific hybrid shaft would need to be made per hybrid head leading to multiple SKU’s.

Are they iron shafts or hybrid specific models? The Steelfiber FC Hybrid shafts for instance have "HY" on them and only come in .370.

If they are iron shafts that someone put in hybrid adapters you are probably correct to not assume, as you can definitely make a .355 shaft work in a .370 adapter
One is a fc75HY and came from the Epic Super Hybrid, so that would then be .370, correct?
1709983233247.jpeg

The other is just i95, so it can be either? That's specifically the one that the buyer was more curious on the tip.
1709983374423.jpeg

One is a fc75HY and came from the Epic Super Hybrid, so that would then be .370, correct?
View attachment 9247415

The other is just i95, so it can be either? That's specifically the one that the buyer was more curious on the tip.
View attachment 9247416
The i95 can be either from manufacturer but being in a hybrid adapter would lead us to believe it’s a .370. Not saying it couldn’t be .355 with a shim but unlikely. The fc75 is .370.

Appreciate it guys!

It is extremely unlikely, but I put a 0.370 hybrid shaft in a 0.335 driver adapter. Works well for me!

Back