How to play bettr golf......All you need to know.

titleist981

Reaction score
How to break 100 or 90 every time:

Practice equipment needed....Pitching Wedge, putter and a soda or beer can. If you're like me practice is optional. If you can hit a pitching wedge you can hit any club in the bag. More on that later. Practice only 20 foot putts and 10 feet putts, try not to ever 3 putt. easier said than done but if you can two put every green those hole get much easier. Now, when you practice putting, put to the soda can, never a hole. Anybody can hit a beer can , right!?! When I started golfing I would take six ball to an empty baseball field and try to land all six on the mound....got pretty good.

Next concentrate on relaxing and slowing down. You can not swing as fast as a touring Pro so don't even try, check your ego at the first tee. I'll give you the rhythm that every 100 shooter should have....On the backswing count 1-2-3 and the forward swing 4-5-6. If you hit the ball solid you will be amazed at how far and straight it goes.

Concentrate on playing Bogey golf...A 4 on par 3's, 5 on par 4's, and a 6 on par 5's...anything less is a BONUS!

KEEP THE BALL IN PLAY! If you have 230 yards to the hole...put that five wood down and hit a 9 then a smooth piching wedge, two put and go to the next hole. Stay out the water and the trees.

Off the Tee...If your new driver goes straight right, Loosen that grip and turn it a little to the right , relax and swing a little more oily. Put that good rhythm I gave you on it! If that don't work think about your 3 wood.

I have the only two drills that you will ever need in your golfing career. Assuming that you have a good grip, decent posture from the hips....practice that one piece takeaway with your left hand, LOW and SlOW. No wrist for the first 18 inches.

Drill #2...the golf basket drill used from the range balls (nothing to buy here). take the basket in that good posture and swing back using that takeaway drill, now go to half way back the downswing is stop, bump and turn. Stop bump and turn...For a better explanation and a visual check the internet.
Remember this advice is worth exactly what you paid or it...When all else fail drink more Beer...do this and pretty soon you will be shooting in the 80's happy golfing!

Yeah, that's not going to fix me.

Thanks for the post, though. Post more often!

Yeah, that's not going to fix me.

Thanks for the post, though. Post more often!
If you need another feeling, swing with the left arm only and concentrate on the let hip pulling the golf club around to a full finish. Simply add the right hand and voila! you'll have a golf swing....start out slow.

If you need another feeling, swing with the left arm only and concentrate on the let hip pulling the golf club around to a full finish. Simply add the right hand and voila! you'll have a golf swing....start out slow.
As a lefty, this would be disasterous. I get where you're coming from but there's no fixing a golf swing you've never seen with generic anectdotals. Love that you're engaging on the forum, though! Keep posting!

Most bad shots come from an improper takeaway....the first six inches is crucial. Low to the ground straight back without any wrist break. that will cure mishits and left and right bad shots.....

As a lefty, this would be disasterous. I get where you're coming from but there's no fixing a golf swing you've never seen with generic anectdotals. Love that you're engaging on the forum, though! Keep posting!
My advice will help your swing or an swing sight unseen.....If done properly and done for at least a week. some get the practice In three swings. the strategy works for anyone without an ego.

Most bad shots come from an improper takeaway....the first six inches is crucial. Low to the ground straight back without any wrist break. that will cure mishits and left and right bad shots.....
Yet does nothing to cure a fat shot, thin shot, shank, or hook. If the first 6 inches of a backswing was the cure all for every swing flaw, every teaching pro on the planet would be out of business. Again, I applaud you're effort but it's like me explaining to you how to play the guitar solo of Hotel California without ever seeing you play the guitar and telling you the secret of it all is how you hold your pick. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I have no idea how to take this thread, so I'm going to use it as an opportunity to say that I can't stand hearing about it all being 'in the takeaway'. Gets to me. If it starts a cascading or uncorrectable problem in a swing, yeah, it's a problem. But having a great looking takeaway doesn't hit a golf ball. The takeaway literally stops and reverses course at the top, so to me it's like hitting a mark. If you can hit a starting mark for the downswing, whotf cares how you got to it.

Edit: @robrandalgz beat me to it.

Yet does nothing to cure a fat shot, thin shot, shank, or hook. If the first 6 inches of a backswing was the cure all for every swing flaw, every teaching pro on the planet would be out of business. Again, I applaud you're effort but it's like me explaining to you how to play the guitar solo of Hotel California without ever seeing you play the guitar and telling you the secret of it all is how you hold your pick. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
You're over thinking the golf swing and it's strategy. what you do in a couple of key areas will have you playing better golf in no time. A proper Takeaway and getting to your leftside is a blueprint to success.....when done properly!!!!!!

I have no idea how to take this thread, so I'm going to use it as an opportunity to say that I can't stand hearing about it all being 'in the takeaway'. Gets to me. If it starts a cascading or uncorrectable problem in a swing, yeah, it's a problem. But having a great looking takeaway doesn't hit a golf ball. The takeaway literally stops and reverses course at the top, so to me it's like hitting a mark. If you can hit a starting mark for the downswing, whotf cares how you got to it.

Set up to a golf ball with another golf ball 18 inches in front and another in back i.e @----@-----@ Now with the letf arm pent to the upper chest take the club back until it point to the rear ball without any wrist break then add the right hand.....that's your one piece take away without going to the inside or outside too early. If you are not doing that, you are doing it wrong.

Set up to a golf ball with another golf ball 18 inches in front and another in back i.e @----@-----@ Now with the letf arm pent to the upper chest take the club back until it point to the rear ball without any wrist break then add the right hand.....that's your one piece take away without going to the inside or outside too early. If you are not doing that, you are doing it wrong.
Well.. obviously. What would the result of such gross disrespect for those takeaway rules be?

quoted directly from the title "All you need to know" I'll be nice about this as I don't know who the 'you' being referenced is. But for 'me' that assertion falls so far short I wouldn't even know where to begin my list of crucial factors and knowledge it misses.

Jim Furyk and Matt Wolff agree.

I liked almost everything the OP. @titleist981 posted. Especially the "more beer" part. All good stuff for breaking 100, or 90.

As for the "more beer" part, studies have shown that "MGD" will save a golfer more strokes than "Miller High Life". MHL does work well in bowling alleys however. .

The only piece of info I took (a little) exception with was that scoring a 6 on a par 5 was acceptable. I'm a "No 6s" kind of guy.

My old swing instructor (RIP) continually challenged me to not score a 6, on any hole. He didn't want to see any 6s on my score card. Again, old school stuff.

Of course, I still occasionally will score higher than a 5. It happens. But it's also nice to string a few rounds together without a 6, or higher number on the score cards. Plus a "No 6s" score card will guarantee a score in the 80s

Jim Furyk and Matt Wolff agree.
Jim and Matt hit thousands of balls......the average high handicapper barely hit hundreds of balls...….practice the perfect one piece takeaway and getting to your left side for better golf.

Some good stuff some I don't agree. The takeaway thing I am not sure it matters a ton on wrist set. I think you could pre set them fully cocked and have it not matter. I think it is more about shoulders hips and forearm rotation. As far as the 5 wood thing goes I am not sure I agree. There needs to be real trouble around the green imo. The range of outcomes will end up being not that bad compared to a good 9 iron.

Keep in mind I am more or less self taught and could be wrong about all that.

Last edited:
“Practice only 20 foot putts and 10 feet putts, try not to ever 3 putt. easier said than done but if you can two put every green those hole get much easier.”

I believe in this and here’s why. I practice a ton of 10-20‘ putts. I rarely work on 5 footers. The average golfer hits approach shots outside of 10’.
Driver 7-8-9-wedge.. Think back on your last round, how many did you hit inside 10’? If you tell me 5-10 then your shooting really low or your a terrible putter. So yeah I practice 10-20 footers to get the speed and feel, if I have a 15’ or 20’ I want it inside 2’. Good lagging and 2 putts are your friend.

You need to be 100% on 3 foot putts before you mostly do 10-20 foot putts only.

Some good stuff some I don't agree. The takeaway thing I am not sure it matters a ton on wrist set. I think you could pre set them fully cocked and have it not matter. I think it is more about shoulders hips and forearm rotation. As far as the 5 wood thing goes I am not sure I agree. There needs to be real trouble around the green imo. The range of outcomes will end up being not that bad compared to a good 9 iron.
A lot of good things happen automatically with the proper take away without any thought from the player. The golf swing is to fast to have more than one swing thought. I prefer to focus on the one piece takeaway.

“Practice only 20 foot putts and 10 feet putts, try not to ever 3 putt. easier said than done but if you can two put every green those hole get much easier.”

I believe in this and here’s why. I practice a ton of 10-20‘ putts. I rarely work on 5 footers. The average golfer hits approach shots outside of 10’.
Driver 7-8-9-wedge.. Think back on your last round, how many did you hit inside 10’? If you tell me 5-10 then your shooting really low or your a terrible putter. So yeah I practice 10-20 footers to get the speed and feel, if I have a 15’ or 20’ I want it inside 2’. Good lagging and 2 putts are your friend.
Exactly.

Matter of opinion. Try to lag It to two feet every time..LOL!

You'd still need to be 100% on 2 foot putts before spending all your time practicing 10' and 20' putts.

Back