How to use an adjustable hosel driver?

UberPete

Golfin' in the Hammer
Reaction score
Handicap
no skill?
I have a Cleveland 588 Custom drive which has an adjustable hosel. I am looking for some guidance on how to use it.

I understand mechanically how to unscrew, rotate and fix it back into position. I have a copy of the chart from Cleveland on the effect of each setting on loft, lie and clubface.

I'm confused as to how to grip the club after I make the adjustment. One instructional video I watched says you let the club sit naturally on its sole and then grip it. That makes sense for the loft and lie. But that doesn't make sense for the open or closure of the face to me. When I address the ball as I sit the club on its sole, am I squaring the face or am I supposed to be changing my foot position or body to ensure the face is open or closed?

Basically, it seems if I rotate hostel to achieve a more closed face, for example, but then I square the face, set my stance and grip, won't I be striking it the same as normal?
settings.jpg

I think you choose the setting based on the information provided with the driver, and swing your normal swing. There shouldn't be any swing or body contortions or adjustments that you need to make.
You may have to experiment a bit to find the setting that you find suits you best.
Good luck.

So I'm not sure about the Cleveland....But some of these clubs based on how you set it up the head rotates around so that the grip isn't aligned properly. If you don't have a set position for the proper grip....how are you to have a repeatable set up for proper grip? Laying the club down and then gripping seems like the best way to repeat the same position. Alternatively if you have a set position...regrip so that position is aligned properly. Good luck.

I think I confused things when I said grip. I was referring to my hand position and not the grip itself. My club has a symmetrical grip, meaning I can rotate the shaft and it doesn't matter for the grip. My question is that if I rotate the head in the hosel from square to 1.5 degrees closed, that rotates the head, relative to the shaft. Okay, but now if I square the clubface when I address the ball and take hold of the club from that orientation, doesn't that just undo the rotation that was done?

Back