How would feel...

"I play the tips because I want my money's worth and I can keep up..." No, No you can't. Hitting 8 shots will always take longer than hitting 7, or 6, or 5.

\
demonstrably false. I have seen guys who took 4 shots on a hole take longer on the green than I did to play the entire hole taking a 6 or even an 8. Of course, I might be an outlier, and numerous people I have been matched up with have made comments along the lines of "you have the fastest trigger I have ever seen" (stated when they did not see where I hit it because I had already taken my shot before they started watching)

Except I find it pretty common...there are people taking a long time before each shot who shoot four and others taking a long time before each shot to shoot 8...there are many, many, many people out there who take longer to play four than others who take 8.

And, in the story the OP posted, their time was much, much faster than most people play at of any handicap.

I imagine someone might create a scorecard such as the one in the photo just to start a conversation.

Not buying it. What are the odds of a matt, Ryan and Nick playing together?

What is this a tournament of guys with the most popular 1980 baby names?

Did Dave and Mike both cancel? Did all three guys go home to their girlfriends Jessica, Jennifer and Stephanie?

Every social media shock post is fake , c'mon people

I imagine someone might create a scorecard such as the one in the photo just to start a conversation.
Not sure if you remember, but you and I participated in an event together several years ago in East Lansing. You were part of a foursome in carts and I was with 2 other walkers in the group just ahead of you. I don’t remember exactly how long the round took but it seemed to go quickly.

I didn’t break 113 that round… one hole took me 13 strokes to complete.

The point is, some people can play poorly, count every stroke, and not hold anybody up.

Yicks. Yes, they paid their money, but I don't want to be behind anyone hitting 17 shots on one hole. That has to be horribly slow.

... being behind these guys? From a 'Mygolfspy' Post. NOBODY should be posting more than a 10, double par, tops. I think hdcp's don't even count those. And a FOURTEEN on a Par 3?

View attachment 9251721
Wow @Mmaynard11 you swore to me you were not going to post this publicly. That’s the last time I play golf with you!!!

shocked hugh laurie GIF

We have a group of guys at work who get together once a year for golf.It is their only round of the year.They shoot this all the time.But they also wave faster players thru, replace divots and fix ball marks.If they are having fun, and not being a Richard on the course…than who cares.This forum is a no judgment zone which I like..I’m pulling the lunk alarm on the OP for posting this

Working Out GIF by Planet Fitness

... being behind these guys? From a 'Mygolfspy' Post. NOBODY should be posting more than a 10, double par, tops. I think hdcp's don't even count those. And a FOURTEEN on a Par 3?

View attachment 9251721

This will come off as insensitive. I've played with people this bad and it's not fun. It was a Dad and two older sons out for a round of golf. I got grouped with them. UGH! First they thought playing with a woman wasn't going to be good. I heard the mutterings. It took forever to get through the first hole. I got a DB. 2nd hole was just awful. Hack hack hack. It was a short par 5. I was on in 2 and birdied. Any mutterings ended. By the third hole it looked like we were headed for 3 hr front 9. I parred the 3rd. By the 4th they told me to go on and play ahead. In an effort to pull ahead, I rushed things and got DBs on the next two holes.

Honestly I don't think I've ever played with a worse bunch of golfers. They weren't playing slow, but when you're taking this many strokes and looking for the ball a lot, you can't help but take forever to finish a hole. These guys needed more time on the driving range and on par 3 courses. We don't need to grow the game this badly. 175 strokes for 18 holes. 👀 I know they paid $$$ to play the course, but damn, just pull them off the course on the 4th hole, give them $120 credit toward group lessons or something.

I tell beginners about the USGA Maximum Stroke Rule - it's real and went on the books in 2022. Max stroke is 10 for beginners. The rest of us it's net DB. Pick up. Keep moving. There is no need to hack out a 13. We're not pros. It doesn't DQ the round either.

I just wonder how ….
“Refreshed they were “ ….

Just because you paid a fee etc , to play, doesn’t give you a get out of jail free card.

Would have thoughts also , some idea of how to play etc , even range time would make significant improvement / reduction of strokes …

And improve their course strokes and thereby total scores ..

Not going to be a popular post, but here it is...

It's not up to other golfers how people play or keep score. If they're playing at the pace the course has established, then yeah, they paid their fees and they can play and keep score however they want.

Don't like it, take it up with the course... find a less crowded time to play... skip holes if there's room ahead... play multiple balls... join a private course... choose another activity. Slow play has become the standard and folks who prefer fast rounds are becoming the minority. Personally, I hate slow play as much if not more than anyone else on this forum. But I don't get to tell a private business they should turn customers away because what those other customers do doesn't suit me.

The sad reality is that crappy golfers can play like this and still keep pace with average to better golfers who could play faster but choose not to.

View attachment 9251721
Looks like the cards we find in carts (of course) and put up in our “trophy case” in the closet in the pro shop.

Looks like the cards we find in carts (of course) and put up in our “trophy case” in the closet in the pro shop.
Now that is a Richard move sir

Tales from the pro shop……..🤣

That’s a whole ‘nuther thread.

I used to wonder if they got looked at. I dislike using carts though will when circumstances are right, and I never keep paper score in reality...but a couple times I thought it would be funny to fill out a card when for one reason or another i was driving a cart and it had the card/pencil. Those cards NEVER reflected reality at all...if I shot an 80 or 85 the card might have a 67 on it...just so I could wonder if anyone looked at the card and what they thought.

This gives me renewed hope my personal bad joke got a cheap laugh some time

I used to wonder if they got looked at. I dislike using carts though will when circumstances are right, and I never keep paper score in reality...but a couple times I thought it would be funny to fill out a card when for one reason or another i was driving a cart and it had the card/pencil. Those cards NEVER reflected reality at all...if I shot an 80 or 85 the card might have a 67 on it...just so I could wonder if anyone looked at the card and what they thought.

This gives me renewed hope my personal bad joke got a cheap laugh some time
At our place we know who the person is because we see them come in. Trust me, I’ve thought of it being funny to leave a fake card but these people aren’t that smart. Those cards are for real unfortunately 🙄

Kind of my point. There are always tales of the guy who can't find a fairway or can only go hit a drive out to 200 yards saying "I play the tips because I want my money's worth and I can keep up..." No, No you can't. Hitting 8 shots will always take longer than hitting 7, or 6, or 5. You have to know your limitations and adjust accordingly. And I don't think handicaps were on their minds either... But I bet there was at least a dollar a side riding on that game...
That's a way of life fo 1/2 of out winter visitors here.....

Nick really, really needs to skip a round or two and pay for a lesson. Harsh I know, but his buddies need to tell him that.

Let's be honest - there's no way that group wasn't holding up the course unless it was 2-degrees out and it was completely empty.

Nick really, really needs to skip a round or two and pay for a lesson. Harsh I know, but his buddies need to tell him that.

Let's be honest - there's no way that group wasn't holding up the course unless it was 2-degrees out and it was completely empty.
Lesson will NEVER happen. Just “there for the day “… drinking and driving around, probably holding up the whole place like you said. Hitting 2-3 drives every hole. I see it every day…👎

Back