How would you play it?

I'm probably playing a choked down, low, 5i cut into that. The fact that OP played a high lofted draw into that is honestly baffling to me unless that's just a really preferred flight.

Sloped back to front I'm burning a cut into it under that wind all day.

You hit the nail on the head. I was truly between clubs by a ton (well, 2 clubs ), and knew I needed to ride the wind a touch to get it to cover. High draw is my preferred flight, so swung hard and hoped for the best. Ended up working out, but definitely a lot of pucker going on while the ball was in the air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd hit 7wood and hope it works out; if i could get the ball to actually ride that 20mph wind it has a chance to clear water and leave me with a chip & putt to save par

100 yard PW, then another 100 yard PW, then watch in amazement as it rolls back into the cup for a birdie.

Smooth 6i drawing with the wind.

Hitting my Heavenwood to make sure I have enough and hoping that long isn't too bad if I flush one. Assuming it is playing 200 - 205 or so to the pin.

First, I'd ask my partners if we really shouldn't move up a box or two. If that doesn't work, I'd hope to flush a 4 iron at the back left bunker
My first thought was that I wouldn't be playing from those tees way back there anyway, but I went with it for the sake of discussion. :LOL:

If I figured out on the previous holes that the wind is actually helping and not knocking the ball down, I'd go big 7i or a 6i (probably 6i) and aim at it since I'm hitting a draw most of the time and that wind is going to carry it left of the flag.

If the wind is really blowing, I’m overestimating my ability and leaving an 8 iron short in the water.

I'd probably try a 7w and aim at the bunker at the right. Goal #1 would be clearing the water safely.

That would likely be a 6i aimed at the right hand bunker, or a cut-off 5h. Would rather be a decent amount past than try to muscle something shorter and end up in the drink.

Driver won't reach so would have to lay up. In reality I would be hitting from a closer tee. I generally look at the par 3 distances before deciding which tee to play.

Whatever club I think will go 205-210 on average, which with a slightly helping wind is probably 5-iron. Hedging long with the water short. Not going to fight my natural right-to-left shape - if I have to aim way out to the right so be it.

Last edited:
With the distance stated to clear the water, I would likely hit a 5i and try to start it on the right edge of the green and just let it finish where it does

If the wind was helping enough, I may hit 6i but that would be pushing it to carry the water normally

Plan a / break glass remove Mizuno clk 4 hybrid. 170 m approx could be touch more ....
rh side of green an watch slight drift left as it runs out of fuel and drops on fat side too deafening applause of group lol.

Plan b / welcome provisional to the tee , with increased acceleration and degree of anger play second shot lol

Cut a 5 iron up into the wind aimed at the right side of the green or throw a 6 iron at the right side of the trap and ride the wind in.

198 yard carry over water? With a 20 mph crosswind? Yeah no. I don't have anything in my bag that goes that distance. So...

7i - 150 - first shot aimed at the right side of the fairway (I'm a lefty)
PW - water ball - duffed shot winds up in the water.
52* - onto the green from a drop
3 putt
I card a 6

6i aimed at the bunker for me, and if it gets in, that’s a win.

198 yard carry over water? With a 20 mph crosswind? Yeah no. I don't have anything in my bag that goes that distance. So...

7i - 150 - first shot aimed at the right side of the fairway (I'm a lefty)
PW - water ball - duffed shot winds up in the water.
52* - onto the green from a drop
3 putt
I card a 6
My brother from another mother!

5 iron or 4 hyb. depending on how I'm striking the ball that day. Aiming at the middle of the green and play my fade against the wind.

If the wind is really blowing, I’m overestimating my ability and leaving an 8 iron short in the water.

Same. We can carry it on, but can and will are two different things. That’s the shot I’d want to hit. Just get it up there, maybe slight draw but I’d be probably going for high and straight-right at it and let the wind do it’s thing. I’d probably try to low bullet a 6i cut right at it and let the wind do its thing.

Of course some of us have the luxury of hitting 8i, right @DFitz364 ? 😂

I did offer him an F2 shaft pull (I think that’s what’s in it?) for his (have to swipe dads 8i but trust me it wouldn’t matter much to dad, lol).

I would go 5 iron to make sure i made the carry over.

Is it a gimme from the tee , and move on to the next hole ?

Hybrid all day because of the wind! Its a prayer shot, but one that should work out nicely.

Back