How would you play this hole?

It is a very deep green. So many greens on this particular course are. They are long, but still often present very small target areas.
Nice scenery there. I'll have to remember to take some pictures of one of the courses I play in the area. They have quite a number of 3 tiered greens that really add a challenge to the game depending where the flag is on a given day.

That sounds super tough but just getting it on the green will be half the battle. I'd rather have a cautious 2 or 3 putts than try to force a chip and then still have a couple putts left

With my level of play I aim for the middle and hope for the best
At my level of play that's probably what I should do, but my one neighbor, in a discussion about golf and the movie Tin Cup, noted that if you're playing for fun, why not go for it? :) So I'd probably try for @OldandStiff's shot, but, at 155 yards my hitting my spot would be as much luck as anything else--if not more ;)

View attachment 8975980

Looks like a little breeze against. I'm playing a straight shot to the arrow at around pin yardage with an easy 8. I want no part of anything X's or short. Basically praying for a 2 putt from there aka playing for bogey. Nothing but hesitancy from anywhere around there on the next shot. I'd rather be pop chipping from up against the brush. At least I can go at the hole from there and have a similar 3rd shot on a bad one as I would from the front.
This. Middle of the green left to right, but not front to back. Except I’m most likely hitting a 9 iron.

At 155 I'm teeing up a 7 iron and hoping I get a real clean hit on it aiming at the center of the green. Knowing what everyone else has said, I'd probably tee up a 6 or possibly a 5 with a 3/4 swing and let it roll. In reality I'm in for a bogey at best.

If I knew everything you just said going into it, I'd middle it and trust my putter.

I'd hit a 7 iron towards the middle of the green. Tiered greens, I just have to putt really well. I'm not good enough with my irons to shoot for smaller sections of greens.

Aim for the middle while choking down just a tad on a 7 iron.

Quiet hands, and pray for a fade. ;)

I would aim for the same spot as you and take an easy 7 or even an easier 6 knowing it'll roll out. That said I am only saying that because of what happened to you. In reality I'd go with an 8i and try exactly what you did. I'm a 17.0 index so anything that requires that much thinking with a 7i or 6i would usually end in duffed swing or nuked into the next timezone :LOL:

I'm going after the pin, it doesn't look too difficult. I don't see any trees, traps, water, you just need a little hair.:giggle:

Back