How would you play this shot, third edition

played a similar shot today...punched a 3h just to the right of the green. chipped to 5-6ft from the pin. put the icing on that with a 2 putt :rolleyes: (1st putt was a hair right)

played a similar shot today...punched a 3h just to the right of the green. chipped to 5-6ft from the pin. put the icing on that with a 2 putt :rolleyes: (1st putt was a hair right)

Depending on one’s index, bogies don’t kill a round. Doubles are always unpalatable.

Depending on one’s index, bogies don’t kill a round. Doubles are always unpalatable.

I have to remind myself that I've only been playing for 6 months...it helps absorb the pain of the doubles and triples ;)

I dont think Id have any issue getting a 6 iron over the tree. That said pictures can be deceiving and perhaps thats the case here. Than either punch a half swing 5 iron under and out into the fairway as a lay up, or a 54 degree wedge layup.

Seems a nice play for me is 3 shots from here... 8 iron up and over then wedge putter... I also could see trying a draw and going pin high off to the right because it looks open.

Depending on the low I’m probably trying to smoke an 8i over. I’d aim for the gap to give myself a little extra room too. Hopefully catch it flush or a flier and get to the green or close.

The other option would be to hit a little hooded 7 iron punch towards the mid/left side of the green. If I push it right try to get up and down from the bunker and salvage par.

I have to remind myself that I've only been playing for 6 months...it helps absorb the pain of the doubles and triples ;)

They will always be trying to horn in on your party.

A good 'ole five iron trap draw. I'm confident in my short game so anywhere near the green would be fine.

First assuming I have a good lie. I'll pull my 5H, play the ball well right of the tree and hook it around onto the green. Hopefully I get close or onto the green. Two putt par. If I'm close for a chip I can one putt for a par save. If I land in the bunker it's a likely bogey.

What would happen..... I'd pull the shot into the tree and it would drop straight down. My next shot would likely land on the green (two putt bogey), or close (chip on and one putt bogey).

I’m thinking hit 7i and hope for a flyer...if it doesn’t get close, then hopefully pitch it close and save par.

Nice shot by the way!

With the yardage at around 185 like you said, for me, the smart thing would be a punch shot with a short iron... trying to advance the ball down the fairway some and avoid hitting the tree... in reality I'd grab my 7w, give it 1/2 swing and try to pop it further down the fairway... and it would head right for the tree.

i’m taking a 5i, putting it in the middle of my stance, aiming to the right of the tree, and trying to sling a low hook in there.

I dont think Id have any issue getting a 6 iron over the tree. That said pictures can be deceiving and perhaps thats the case here. Than either punch a half swing 5 iron under and out into the fairway as a lay up, or a 54 degree wedge layup.

The photo probably doesn't show it, but trust me, unless you hit it higher than 97% of the golfing population, you are not getting over with a 6 iron. I am a high ball player and I had no chance of getting over.

The photo probably doesn't show it, but trust me, unless you hit it higher than 97% of the golfing population, you are not getting over with a 6 iron. I am a high ball player and I had no chance of getting over.
Yeah and that’s why I mentioned, pictures can be deceiving. Went with the alternate 5 iron punch to a lay up. ;)

That's a TALL tree... but it's 90% AIR!!:oops:(y):ROFLMAO:

From that distance, I'd hook the crap out of a 5 or 6-iron and get on or close to the green (hopefully... lol).

Back