How's your year gone?

I'm going to chalk 2019 up to a great year.

This is probably the most consistent I've been in my game since I began playing. Not the best I've played, but I'll take consistency over ups and downs. Managed to stave off the urge to buy ANY new clubs (which is a huge first for me) despite saying in January that I had intended to replace my entire bag. Don't fix what's not broken, I guess!

I played golf in 5 states and 3 countries. And managed to sneak in to a THP event right at the moment when I was certain 2019 would end my streak of 4 consecutive years of having the opportunity to play in at least one. That event capped off with a KILLER shaft (which hopefully will arrive before the new year, so I can add it to the 2019 list of awesome)

The year went OK, but my scoring was down a bit. It seems the courses keep getting longer and longer, and my swing keeps getting shorter and shorter. LOL

Outside of meeting and playing 8 of my 10 rounds with THP’ers including being a participant in the THP Bridgestone Championship, it’s been pretty awful. Mid summer of 2018 I was a 6HC. I’m now an official 9.6 as it rose to that over the fall of 2018 and I’ve only played 2 rounds in a format that I could post scores so it hasn’t changed. But due to illness and subsequent medication issues I’ve really played more like a 15+.

Season ended on 09/17 with a major accident that I broke 9 bones and had major internal bleeding. With all the trauma I may be lucky to play like a 15+ in 2020, but I’m sure am looking forward to it getting here and getting back out in the course, even if I stink worse than I did this year.

I’ll accept whatever game I end up with and just be happy to be alive doing one of the things I enjoy a great deal.

Horrible. This is the worst year I’ve had in a long time despite playing more than ever. I’m honestly so frustrated that I may pack it up and not do any golfing until spring.

All in all I had a great year. Played more golf than I have in a few years. Found my way back to THP and had a great time in the Graphite Challenge! Time to carry that in to 2020.

Sorry for the negativity, but 2019 was rough.

This was the first year I've regressed considerably from the year before. Improvement had always been small, but there was at least some very slight forward movement each year. I tried a lot of new things this year - strategy, drastically different swing, different clubs and an interlocking grip. The changes I tried to implement have resulted in my long irons getting no more distance than my mid irons. I'm not surprised by the results, but that doesn't make it any more palatable. I broke 90 only once this year, and played more golf in the triple digits than I have in several years. There were many rounds I never even kept score.

The only positive from this past season is that I started hitting my partial wedges a little better at the end of the season and I had a couple rounds of decent chipping. My 5w swing is as good as ever - probably because I didn't mess with it this year. There were also some incredible practices when I'd hit long irons so well that I was almost able to get a glimpse at what it would be like to play this game at a higher level... almost.

It's tough having passion for a game that I'm just not very good at. As much as I love being part of an online golfing community, it's like I have no business being here.

Thankfully, there's the trying to break 100 thread. If any one thing has kept me from giving the game up, it would be that group of guys and gals. They've shown me that the game can be enjoyable even at this level.
I feel your pain. We ALL want to be better (regardless of how we are playing from + handicaps to us hacks). I'm as guilty as anyone for letting my scores dictate my enjoyment of the game. I really need to ere-evaluate that mindset. I'm not getting any younger and may never be a single digit player (my ultimate, seemingly impossible, goal) but I'm really not doing myself any favors by beating myself up over a game that, literally, less than 1% of the population that play it are actually good at it. I don't have the resources (e.i. money, time, and a decent local instructor) to devote to make any meaningful improvement. I've got to roll with teh crap days and relish in the one's that are better than average. I don't want to give up on my goals (I'll never stop trying to get better) but I, personally, need to adjust my expectations (considering my circumstances).

I've been a bit of a wreck leading up to an AZ gathering of some fellow THPers in a couple of weeks. I REALLY want to play decent but my swing has gone to sh!t. I have a feeling I'm going to completely embarrass myself (at this point, I'd be thrilled just to play to my hack handicap) but, regardless, I'm determined to not let my crap game impact (what I'm certain will be) a great time with a great group of guys. That's the approach that I have to have ore focus on next season. Yeah, I'm going to play some really crappy golf but crappy golf is better than no golf. Rather be on the course than on the couch in any scenario. Soak it in and suck it up. Life could be worse.

Last edited:
As golf season winds down here in the PNW (Washington), my local play comes to an end this week, as I head for Florida for the winter. It has been a really good, and active, year, as... beside play at my Home Course and winning the Club Championship, I also played in our Area Sweeps League, in which we played a different Washington golf course every month. I end my PNW season having gone from average score of 82 to an average score of 74, my age. I have shot 74 on 5 occasions, and sub 74 on 8 occasions over the past month.

Looking forward to playing some Florida golf next week.
That is phenomenal, congrats!

My year has been pretty rough. Haven't played a lot and when I have played it's mostly been ugly. A couple of seasons ago I was a 10.4. I'm currently a 17.5.

Other than a back issue which laid me up for three plus weeks in July, I had a decent year golf wise. In my weekly 9 hole league, I usually had a chance to break 40 each week. I drove the ball well all year but was plagued by inconsistent iron play. Typical shot was hit near the toe and ended up on line but short.

Season ended on 09/17 with a major accident that I broke 9 bones and had major internal bleeding. With all the trauma I may be lucky to play like a 15+ in 2020, but I’m sure am looking forward to it getting here and getting back out in the course, even if I stink worse than I did this year.

I’ll accept whatever game I end up with and just be happy to be alive doing one of the things I enjoy a great deal.

I'm with you on a lot of that. Especially the last part. And you never know. Acceptance of what I am now and what I'm not, and unending gratitude for just still being here led to the best golf of my life. The scores were pretty good too. ;)

So I played more golf this year than I had in the last 13 years combined, maybe more. I pretty much didn’t play for seven years but I have been playing every opportunity since mid-June. I started the season very erratic but as the year went on I became more consistent as my old swing continued to return. Yesterday, I played one of my most consistent rounds shooting 71 (+1) with 12 GIR and 31 putts. I am pretty happy with where I am at this point given a seven year break from golf and getting back to this point on my own with no instruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My best year for sure. I was on pace to meet my normal yearly average of 82.9 then in Aug I bought a new driver that I hit well, implemented a putting tip and went back to my old irons and rattled off some rounds in the 70’s. Ended the season at an 8.1 cap which is my personal best.

That is phenomenal, congrats!

My year has been pretty rough. Haven't played a lot and when I have played it's mostly been ugly. A couple of seasons ago I was a 10.4. I'm currently a 17.5.

Yeah but you had a pretty phenomenal 2018 IIRC.... I won’t say I’m jealous....but if I were to be jealous it would be of your 2018 season. Thought you did a fandamntastic job as Cap’n too.

Can’t wait to follow the 2019 version and I imagine for you it’ll be just a little bittersweet for ya.

So I played more golf this year than I had in the last 13 years combined, maybe more. I pretty much didn’t play for seven years but I have been playing every opportunity since mid-June. I started the season very erratic but as the year went on I became more consistent as my old swing continued to return. Yesterday, I played one of my most consistent rounds shooting 71 (+1) with 12 GIR and 31 putts. I am pretty happy with where I am at this point given a seven year break from golf and getting back to this point on my own with no instruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah that is pretty fantastic. My first round back after about the same length of time off I shot a 69 (par 71) aided by my only ever HIO on a short par 4. Thought I’d started where I’d left off. 6 years later and probably 40 rounds a year until this year when I got in 10, I’ve only been under par two other rounds. I have more over 100 rounds than I do of par-and it ain’t close.

This year my HC didn’t change as due to format I was only able to post 2 rounds, but I played more like a 15+ than my current 9.6 which rose rapidly last fall as I had a then undiagnosed illness. Since life likes to occasionally and repeatedly kick you in the nuts, following a major accident I hope to have any sort of respectable game when I’m able to return to it. I’m going to hit the sim hard this winter, mainly to see what I’ve got, work on what I’m able to, and hopefully be able to hit the ground running in the spring.

I wish you continued success!

This year has probably been my slowest golf year in the last 10 or so. Maybe played 10 rounds all year. But I’ve had my two year old son on the putting green and no matter where I am, if I act like I’m swinging, he says “golf swing”.

Despite the lack of play and practice, my game has been passable. My wedge game which usually saves me, has been terrible. My scores have trended more to the mid-high 80s but I nearly broke 80 last week when my wedges reawakened. And honestly I feel the time off and chance to really think about how I play has had a positive impact. I stopped trying to fight my draw, simplified my stance and redefined my takeaway.

Going to reinstate my handicap in 2020 and looking to play some of the tournaments again. And hopefully get the kid out on the course for some fun!

Yeah but you had a pretty phenomenal 2018 IIRC.... I won’t say I’m jealous....but if I were to be jealous it would be of your 2018 season. Thought you did a fandamntastic job as Cap’n too.

Can’t wait to follow the 2019 version and I imagine for you it’ll be just a little bittersweet for ya.
Thank you for the kind words. The trip is so incredible it is impossible not to want it again so yes, it is a little bittersweet. But that is definitely tempered by being happy for a great group of guys led by captain @McLovin and being excited for them to experience the same magic. It will be great to follow along next week and relive it through them.

Not that good. New clubs, found the swing, injuries, missing clubs, found the swing again, more injuries.... and now it's over.

Golf wise, this past year has been pretty good to me. Played, and practiced a lot of golf.

Health wise this past year has been exceptional. No injuries, and no illnesses. Not even a runny nose. Of course this staying healthy is directly responsible for my consistent golf game.

Golf scoring wise? Not so good really compared to 2018. But to be fair, last year was my best ever. That said I've regressed to 2017 and earlier standards, even worse as of late. Ok with that, just very glad to be playing.

Off the course, my immediate family is happy and healthy, so very thankful for that. But I Iost 3 close friends, one who was like a brother to me, along with 2 dogs.

So periodic grieving has kinda been my thing in 2019. Still a happy person, just so very much missing beloved people and pets.

It's been a good year in that I've been able to play on a regular basis. Also 74 but age seems to be taking it's toll, a lot of three shot par fours and the occasional driver on a par three. Hitting from the correct tee. This is also the first year that heat has really bothered me. Not being negative because people around me are dropping like flies that are a similar age so I'm happy to be able to play. Playing a new course today in Sebring and looking forward to it.

Had a very slow year unfortunately. Had to take a whole season off (I'm not professional just very consistent). Had a really nasty car accident lat year and broke my arm and wrist in it. A few surgeries later and months of physicl therapy I still experience pain so had to just watch the game from the sidelines.

Had a very slow year unfortunately. Had to take a whole season off (I'm not professional just very consistent). Had a really nasty car accident lat year and broke my arm and wrist in it. A few surgeries later and months of physicl therapy I still experience pain so had to just watch the game from the sidelines.

Well, that is very unfortunate. Sorry to hear this! Keep after it and get to swinging a club again.

Back