How's your year gone?

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
As golf season winds down here in the PNW (Washington), my local play comes to an end this week, as I head for Florida for the winter. It has been a really good, and active, year, as... beside play at my Home Course and winning the Club Championship, I also played in our Area Sweeps League, in which we played a different Washington golf course every month. I end my PNW season having gone from average score of 82 to an average score of 74, my age. I have shot 74 on 5 occasions, and sub 74 on 8 occasions over the past month.

Looking forward to playing some Florida golf next week.

It's gone quite well, thus far. I found that I've been more focused on repeatable swing and my overall short game. By doing so, I've seen my confidence grow and better consistency throughout the bag.

It’s going great! After about a 5 year hiatus from playing; I started playing again with friends, coworkers, and my 14 year old son. I took advantage of upgrading my bag with some newer tech and I have been consistent at breaking 100 (94 avg) and even broke 90 (87) for the first time a few weeks ago. I’m looking forward to 2020 and achieving My goals I set for myself next year.

Probably one of my better years I could say

Fitted for a full new bag of clubs (excluding putter)
Handicap down from 12 to 9
New personal best round of 74 (+2)
Top scorer for our club in the league
Winner of our UK gathering

Best year I’ve had on the course. Got to play some amazing venues and meet some equally great people (thanks THP). Game wise, during the season I was the best I’ve ever been. Consistently in the low-mid 80s. Hoping I can carry that over to 2020

Not played nearly as much as I would have liked so inevitably my game hasn't improved in the way I was hoping at the beginning of the season.
Still, I've enjoyed every game I've played regardless of the result. It's been great playing again after forgetting about the game for a decade.

It’s going great! After about a 5 year hiatus from playing; I started playing again with friends, coworkers, and my 14 year old son. I took advantage of upgrading my bag with some newer tech and I have been consistent at breaking 100 (94 avg) and even broke 90 (87) for the first time a few weeks ago. I’m looking forward to 2020 and achieving My goals I set for myself next year.
Welcome to THP! Just to let you know, a bunch of us AZ THPers are getting together down in Tucson in about 3 weeks. All the info is HERE. Don't worry about skill level or being new around here. This is a great community and this is going to be a fun get together. Even if you can only make one of the two days. Jump in the thread that I linked and check it out. (y)

It was an interesting one for me. The injury here late has made it seem much more mundane than I guess it was.

Played some good golf. Coached some good golf. Went some cool places. Worked with some awesome companies. Mended some fences. Wrote what I feel are pretty OK reviews.

Good year for me in golf.

I think it’s gone well, I found this awesome game. My progress has been acceptable to me and I’m enjoying every round. Only wish I had found the game earlier in life when I was more agile. ?

My golf season has been up and down like a yo-yo. Played some really good golf at times and played other times so bad it made me want to :sick:

Welcome to THP! Just to let you know, a bunch of us AZ THPers are getting together down in Tucson in about 3 weeks. All the info is HERE. Don't worry about skill level or being new around here. This is a great community and this is going to be a fun get together. Even if you can only make one of the two days. Jump in the thread that I linked and check it out. (y)

Thanks man; someone from that group/post had already let me know about the event. I explained that I’m only on a handful of rounds with my new clubs and wanted to get some more time to fine tune some things.

Thanks man; someone from that group/post had already let me know about the event. I explained that I’m only on a handful of rounds with my new clubs and wanted to get some more time to fine tune some things.
Glad you were invited but I can't stress enough that this outing has NOTHING to do with playing ability. It's just about getting some quality time in with fellow THPers. If you're worried about embarrassing yourself, then you've got the point of the whole thing all wrong, brother. Partner up with me and and you'll instantly feel better about your game. :ROFLMAO:

Good year. I had some time away from golf (for positive reasons) and that was good for me. I re-energized. Loving golf. Enjoying efforts to keep making new friends locally and here on the forum. Having a blast getting all worked up over equipment. And highly motivated by firing up the imagination for all of these crazy interesting experience opportunities coming up.

And on a health note: a few years back I had major physical health issues that besides knocking me to the sideline led to a lot of anxiety. I fought both and fingers crossed. Ongoing tests all look good and I learned to be a lot more accepting of mortality. So a good year in a lot of ways.

As golf season winds down here in the PNW (Washington), my local play comes to an end this week, as I head for Florida for the winter. It has been a really good, and active, year, as... beside play at my Home Course and winning the Club Championship, I also played in our Area Sweeps League, in which we played a different Washington golf course every month. I end my PNW season having gone from average score of 82 to an average score of 74, my age. I have shot 74 on 5 occasions, and sub 74 on 8 occasions over the past month.

Looking forward to playing some Florida golf next week.

My year went quite well. I got my handicap up to a -8.3 at the highest and shot 4 rounds in the 70's this year. Prior to this year, I'd only had 2 rounds in the 70's (one in 2005 and one in 2010) so I'm very happy with the way things turned out.

Sounds like you're playing very well, too, but I do have a question. How is your handicap still a GHIN 17.4 if you're shooting those scores? Have you just not updated it for a while?

It's been a great year. I've made new friends through 2 THP events, had my first fitting for irons and a driver, bought my first new set of irons in 8 years, received another set of irons from UST Mamiya and Ben Hogan, had a putter fitting with Sean Toulon and Luke Williams from Odyssey, received 2 putters, shot the best round I have in 10+ years, played more than I really thought I could and had a fantastic time doing all of it.

It has been a pretty good year.. Golf started on a bit of a down slide and watched the HC creep up but was able to turn things around as the season when by. I have had a lot of fun playing this year and got to play with quite a few more THPers so that is always a positive.

Glad you were invited but I can't stress enough that this outing has NOTHING to do with playing ability. It's just about getting some quality time in with fellow THPers. If you're worried about embarrassing yourself, then you've got the point of the whole thing all wrong, brother. Partner up with me and and you'll instantly feel better about your game. :ROFLMAO:
Haha, trust me; I’ve never been worried about embarrassing myself on or off the course. I don’t need a round of golf for that; I can do it on my own, just as easily, without sticks in hand. I’m gonna head over there and poke around and re read all the info again. Thanks for twisting my arm.

It has been a great season for me. It is basically my second season back playing regular golf after about 10 years of playing only golf for work and having a serious illness. I have 30 rounds in this year which is solid given I don’t have a regular course or group to play with. My index is down to 3.8. I started the year at 5.8, peaked at 6.2 and gradually lowered over the season. I shot 74 maybe 4 or 5 times for my low score. I have come close to going low but can’t seem to get out of my own way.

My biggest challenge right now is to regain some speed in my game. I have started a workout plan and am using the Superspeed system. We will see how that works over the winter.

I can’t wait for next season already.

My year has been a great one. I made my way back to golf this summer and also back to this great forum at the same time. Had taken a 3+ year off of the game due to work and family etc.

Have made some great strides in my game I feel and hitting the ball much better than I used to. Replaced my entire bag of clubs to something more recent. LEarning so much more than I ever did about the game and the technology involved.

Played with some great people, some of which I now play with somewhat regularly.

Onwards and upwards to keep improving. :cool:?

Better than I would have dared to imagine.

Aside from getting a little injured and missing nearly all the local-ish tournaments I'd planned on playing in at the end of summer, it's been great. Still love the game after all those years of not playing, and played the best golf of my life. Enjoyed tons of great new people, places, and things surrounding the game, found THP, and am hopelessly obsessed. Who could ask for more?

I've had a good year.

Made consistent improvements in my scores and handicap, won my first tournament, and got to be an active member o fTHP and go to an official and two unofficial events.

Eh... good and not so good, I'd say.

On the "not so good" front... from a handicap perspective - started the year as a 9, got down to 7 in June, and am currently at 14.

I think I overdid it this year (played too much) and my game suffered as a result. I'm not in my 20s anymore and playing 4 or 5 rounds a week is too much. The wear and tear mostly shows up in my hands and elbows... golfer's elbow has crept in on both sides resulting in numbness in my pinkie and ring fingers, and I've got some tendinitis in my left thumb. I've mostly mitigated the golfer's elbow with graphite shafts (MUCH better!), but haven't sorted out the thumb issue yet. As it gets sore I start manipulating my grip subconsciously to protect it and end up with Hook-itis.

On the "good" side - I really did enjoy playing this year and I got to travel and play several wonderful courses with great people. Pebble, Spyglass, Troon North and Wekopa in Scottsdale and my favorite trip of the year to Forest Highlands in Flagstaff, AZ.

Well, from a golf perspective, I found THP this year! So it's been pretty great from the standpoint of learning a lot from everyone here! Thank you!

I was able to upgrade my irons to some Srixon Z565/765's, and they have been fantastic. I have worked on my swing a bit, and my iron game has honestly never been better. Still need to work on putting, and that's what this winter will be all about. Thanks in part to the Hogan BHM01 I received from a test here on the forum, I am confident it my plan going forward. If I can improve my short game and putting, my game will be in a really good spot, for me. My scores didn't change much this year, and that's fine with me.

Golf keeps me connected to my college friends, and it's a time to slow down, enjoy the outdoors, and reminisce. So this year has been great, as I've been blessed to be able to continue to do all those things and more. I've also started to introduce golf to my young boys, and I hope one day I will be able to enjoy this great game with them!

Sorry for the negativity, but 2019 was rough.

This was the first year I've regressed considerably from the year before. Improvement had always been small, but there was at least some very slight forward movement each year. I tried a lot of new things this year - strategy, drastically different swing, different clubs and an interlocking grip. The changes I tried to implement have resulted in my long irons getting no more distance than my mid irons. I'm not surprised by the results, but that doesn't make it any more palatable. I broke 90 only once this year, and played more golf in the triple digits than I have in several years. There were many rounds I never even kept score.

The only positive from this past season is that I started hitting my partial wedges a little better at the end of the season and I had a couple rounds of decent chipping. My 5w swing is as good as ever - probably because I didn't mess with it this year. There were also some incredible practices when I'd hit long irons so well that I was almost able to get a glimpse at what it would be like to play this game at a higher level... almost.

It's tough having passion for a game that I'm just not very good at. As much as I love being part of an online golfing community, it's like I have no business being here.

Thankfully, there's the trying to break 100 thread. If any one thing has kept me from giving the game up, it would be that group of guys and gals. They've shown me that the game can be enjoyable even at this level.

As each year comes and goes, so does my game. This year has been a constant effort to improve my ball striking. Here I am heading into the last month of 2019 and I have finally found my swing again. The game seems like fun once again. So the year has gone well and I am looking forward to 2020. :p

Back