geauxgolf

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a delima. I hit my driver pretty well about 225 to 235 hitting the fairway more often than not. hit my three fw very well also 210 to 220. I hit all my irons decent also. my longest iron a 4 iron plays about 180ish. I have a three hybrid to cover this gap that I cannot hit to save my life. I have tried everything I can think of , moving ball placement , set up , grip. cannot hit it. on the seldom times I do it hit lt, it is no more than 5 or 6 feet off the ground and about 160 yards. thinking of replacing with a five fw to cover the gap. driver is ping g400 lst, three fw is ping g400 and the three hybrid is a ping g400. all stock regular flex shafts. is there another option. I'm just guessing that the five fw would fill the hole. what do y'all think.

I was in the same boat. I got a 3 iron and never looked back.

Are you hitting down on the ball like you would with an iron?

I have tried hitting down like iron. I tried hitting it forward placement like a driver and everywhere in between. just can't hit the thing.

Pick up a 5wd and try it. Can't hurt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would also try adding 6-10g of lead tape wrapped around the hosel

If you are up for it, it's probably not difficult to get you to hit the hybrid. Swing it just like your 4-iron. Same setup, same ball position, same tempo and swing Then report back on your results. Since you are hitting your 4-iron well you should be able to hit a hybrid with maybe a tweak or two. That tweak or two will probably also improve your results with your irons.

Hybrids are usually some of the easier clubs to hit consistently. As others have stated, swing smoothly like you are hitting an iron and your results should improve. My 3 hybrid is good for 230-240 yards and I'm an old fart.

I had the same dilemma with my hybrid between my 5W and 5I. 4I was my solution and it has worked well for me.

I was in the same boat. I got a 3 iron and never looked back.

Same here. Gave hybrids a 2-year try. Can’t hit them. 3i and 4i went back in the bag this week and I couldn’t be happier.

Not all hybrids are created equally. I was terribly inconsistent with hybrids, just enough good shots to keep me intrigued, way too many bad shots to drive me completely nuts.

Until I hit the Tour Edge Exotics. First the original, crushed it. Only, it was the exact club I was swinging when I blew out my back last year. Fear subsided with all other clubs save for that one... crazy mental block.

Bought some Exotics EX9's since and the magic continues. Not saying they're the best for all but they sure do perform for me.

Option creates opportunity and there's lots of options out there.

I was quite fortunate to get a couple of hybrids with my set from 2014 (Ping Karsten), so they are essentially G25's, just wearing different pyjamas. I've never had an issue with hitting them since I got them (used in 2017), and they were the first hybrids I'd ever used. I've since tried others (Titleist, Callaway predominantly through playing partner's bags), and I haven't hit anything that works better for me than the Karstens. They go straight and high, no real hook bias that I can find. The 5h (25.5°) is my most versatile club, off the tee, off the fairway, in the rough or around the green.

I think that versatility warrants some perseverance, and they can be quite personal to your swing, so try different brands before writing them off completely.

Glad to hear it's not just me that can't hit the things. I really think I am going to pick up a 5 fw in the morning.

Now that I think about it , I wish I had not waited so long to abort the hybrid. It's about 4 months old now and I think Edwin watts would have given me full credit towards the 5 fw if I would have went back before 90 days. expensive experiment but whats new.

I've been there, now a hybrid is my go-to club very often, I carry two.

- if you don't have a newer hybrid, buy one, the new stuff is leaps better than the old "rescue" clubs, I suggest PING, best hybrids on the market IMO.

- go to the range a lot and hit hybrid 90% of the time, just work that club like a madman and you'll see results, it probably took me about a year of solid practice before I was hitting hybrid well more often then not.

Back