I have the shhhh, shhhh, shhhhhaaaa.......

ezellmer

Reaction score
Handicap
Playing the best golf of my life, played about 100 holes on a guys weekend 2 weeks ago and now I can't hit an iron.

Took video of myself and it looks like my hands are coming through away from my body compared to where they started. Guessing this is it?

Post up the video for Freddie to look at!

Don't say it....Whatever you do, don't say it....

Playing the best golf of my life, played about 100 holes on a guys weekend 2 weeks ago and now I can't hit an iron.

Took video of myself and it looks like my hands are coming through away from my body compared to where they started. Guessing this is it?

When I have had a bout or 2 of this, I'll go to the range, put 2 balls side by side, address the outside ball, but just try to hit the inside ball.
Freddie will be able to help for sure though, and knows a heck of a lot more than me. Good luck!

it's ok, henrik. it happens to the best of us.

Been there. The 2 ball drill mentioned above is gold for confidence. A few swings with a split-hand grip also helped me out.

The ultimate fix for me (through about a dozen lessons and hours on the range - it got bad) was making more out of the shoulder turn on the backswing and making a bigger release. All bouts are unique, but when I see the my contact shifting to the heel I focus on these 2 things and It will move to the toe.

This might be complete nonsense to someone that understands the swing more, but this worked for me.

i had a couple of these on my last game. after a drive, my caddie unfortunately found the wrong ball. i hit it, so that was a two-stroke penalty. i lost all enthusiasm for that hole, and proceeded to hit two or three shanks. for me, my shank is "all arms, no body turn", a half-hearted golf swing.

first off, in your video, your feet are pointing right already. that makes it harder for you to do a full body turn at the finish. maybe it is better to have your feet aligned to the target than closed. in some of your shots your hands are a bit too far from your body at address. maybe also you don't have to take your club too far back at the backswing, so you don't have to make as much body turn at the finish. iron shots are more "up and down" rather than "around".

hope this helps.

try to feel like you're keeping your hands close to your body through the downswing, i discovered my swing was traveling away from body on the down swing, once i started the thought of keeping my hands closer to my body & making sure i would accelerate through the ball it was center of the club face again.

Last edited:
shanks come from contact with the hosel of the cub. If we can get you away from the hosel, the shanks will be a thing of the past.

You take the club away, way too far inside. The right leg loses its flex and the club moves out away from the body and down through impact. It the out move that is setting up the hosel contact. Its the extreme inside takeaway that is causing the down swing flaw and the straight right leg is contributing to the inside move on the back swing.

Maintaining leg flex is key in any golf swing. It not only limits the length of the swing but also provides the power needed so that you don't have to generate power from the top of the swing. The golf swing should be up and down not a round. It gets its angle from the waist bend and knee flex. Combine this with a natural shoulder turn and you get that tilted swing path you always see. Trying to manufacture it with an inside take away can cause all types of issue...like the shanks.

Try to get the club head moving more on a straight path away from the ball and then to the top of the swing.

vid

vid

you guys pretty much nailed it, all arms and no shoulder turn. The light came back on on the range about 10 days ago when I really worked on my stance and one piece takeaway. that pretty much cured it and in fact I've been hitting the ball longer.

Back