I think I am getting a 9 wood

I know a lot of folks are in the 'fix your swing and you will be able to hit any club in the bag' camp. Here's the thing. I didn't really start golfing seriously until my 40's. I'm short, stocky, not very flexible, and swing like the Terminator (or so I'm told). If my swing were ever going to 'get fixed' it would have been by now. For whatever reason, the woods feel most comfortable in my hands. It really makes no sense as most will tell you those are the hardest clubs to hit consistently, but for me, they are easy. I have a good short game so that is my salvation lol...

I am a better than average golfer who lost swing speed due to an illness four years ago and despite working hard in the gym I haven’t been able to recover the explosiveness and speed. For slower swing speeds you aren’t going to elevate a 4i or maybe even a 5 or 6. Don’t worry about what people say play the clubs that help you score the best. We all have jobs and don’t have endless time to improve our swings.

The Devine Nine @JDax

Play what works for you! I will make a suggestion. Look into a Mizuno CLK 2020. They can go up and down 2 degrees, and are usually flatter in lie angle but have an upright setting. I have one at a 2H instead of a 3W. I play it at 15 degrees and its automatic for me. Even if I miss hit it, I don't get punished the way I used to.

Plus Mizuno has many shaft options with grip options that aren't up charged.

I play Mavrik Max 3 and 5 fairway woods and a Mavrik Max Heavenwood. I then got a like new Mavrik Max 9w from CPO and it gaps perfectly between my Heavenwood and 7i (the longest iron I still carry). It has been great for this old guy!

I have a G425 9W on the way that I am going to turn the loft down to 22* with a Mitsubishi C6 shaft. I looked pretty hard for something stock with a stiff shaft in it and couldn’t find anything. Even used G410s were expensive on eBay so I bit the bullet on a new build. If I don’t like it they will take it back.

This weekend over two rounds I had at least 4 shots where it would have been the perfect club.

I did hit a new TSi3 20* hybrid that a friend had and it was pretty nice. I think it might have covered a similar distance but it flew much lower. I hit it 4 or 5 times on the range and it didn’t want to go left.

I went with the Cobra F9 7W which is 22.5 degrees. The SZ and RadSpeed are also 22.5 degrees. You can adjust them up or down, but I just left it alone. I like it a little better than my 4H since it's a little more versatile on lies with the ball below my feet. The longer shaft makes it less likely that I top the ball or dead pull the shot. The rails make it good out of light rough.

I went with the Cobra F9 7W which is 22.5 degrees. The SZ and RadSpeed are also 22.5 degrees. You can adjust them up or down, but I just left it alone. I like it a little better than my 4H since it's a little more versatile on lies with the ball below my feet. The longer shaft makes it less likely that I top the ball or dead pull the shot. The rails make it good out of light rough.

That probably would have worked also as I was looking for 22*. My fitter doesn't have Cobra.

My 9 wood came last week and I was gone over the weekend but I was able to sneak out for a few holes on Friday. I only had one shot that felt right for it and it was a strange situation. I was 170 yards out up a steep hill on a very windy day. I actually hit a small/knock down 9 wood that came off exactly the way I wanted and wound up on the front of the green.

I went to the range today and I was hitting nice high shots carrying to the 190 flag a bit downhill. I hit a series of 5i, 9W and 5W at the same target and it appeared to have the right gapping although it is a bit hard to tell at the range. I do hit it nice and high but I can also control the trajectory if needed.

I think it is going to be good.

I play G400 23.5* 9wd in the standard neutral setting.....UST Elements Fire 8F4 tipped 2" 41" [-1/2"]

I'll take the results of this 9wd over any 4 iron or similar hybrid , any day of the week.

If I see 165yds in the finder- I'm already thinking it.....like just choke down, swing easy

I play G400 23.5* 9wd in the standard neutral setting.....UST Elements Fire 8F4 tipped 2" 41" [-1/2"]

I'll take the results of this 9wd over any 4 iron or similar hybrid , any day of the week.

If I see 165yds in the finder- I'm already thinking it.....like just choke down, swing easy

I am seeing 185 with nice high carry out of the club. I think it is going to be a good fit.

I am seeing 185 with nice high carry out of the club. I think it is going to be a good fit.
Yeah, I'm in that 180ish range as well-- I see 165yds though & I'm like "hey 9wd"

I like to try a 9 or 11 wood but I have a four hybrid usually does everything for me and believe distance be about the same I’ve always been a hybrid but I’m loving woods more everyday they just go higher and easier to swing

Been watching some of these videos recently and this popped up. Very interesting about the numbers on the bottom of the club. I know, I know it has been talked about A LOT on this forum. This is the best comparison I have seen of iron hybrid and wood.

Back