Idea on how to cure a slice from a 19 handicap golfer

Alright...challenge accepted. The key is that you have to retrain your brain, and you have to do it WITHOUT hitting a ball FIRST.

@TrueMotionTim & I created a special login to our website for THP Members at no charge. Now we will have an extensive 'Fixes' section in our soon to be released Full Academy, but I thought THPers would benefit from a nice little sneak peak into how our Academy looks AND learn about how to fix a slice at the same time; bunker drills are also in there.

This link will give you guys Free access to two simple bunker videos & the slice fixer series; we just need your email so we can create a login for you. It's super simple, and you'll also start receiving our weekly emails where we talk about different golf related subjects. They're usually short, a couple minutes at most.

Click HERE: THP Knowledge Academy - Bunkers & Slice Fixer

I definitely can try without hitting a ball.

We have a special section of our website for THPers that is free...would it help if we added some "slice-fix" videos? I haven't really publicized to the THP community that we offer this special section. We were testing the waters with some other THP folks who had questions about bunker drills that I uploaded to our site. You just have to create a free login, and you'll get a weekly "tip" email from us.

Let me know, and I can add some videos there to help you out.

98 out of 100 😂 golfers who come into the studio have a problem with a slice, and we usually get them to learn how to hit a draw. I don't mean to discount your troubles, but I'd say 96 out of 100 know how to hit a draw after one lesson.

Matt

All signed up and ready to commit to this one. As someone who has struggled with the left to right ball flight (mostly irons) I am interested to see if this can't straighten me out.

I too signed up but somehow I feel that I will be one of the 4 out of 100 who not know how to hit a draw after one lesson :cry:. I hit fades with draw biased clubs. I hit fades of hook lies etc.

Alright...challenge accepted. The key is that you have to retrain your brain, and you have to do it WITHOUT hitting a ball FIRST.

@TrueMotionTim & I created a special login to our website for THP Members at no charge. Now we will have an extensive 'Fixes' section in our soon to be released Full Academy, but I thought THPers would benefit from a nice little sneak peak into how our Academy looks AND learn about how to fix a slice at the same time; bunker drills are also in there.

This link will give you guys Free access to two simple bunker videos & the slice fixer series; we just need your email so we can create a login for you. It's super simple, and you'll also start receiving our weekly emails where we talk about different golf related subjects. They're usually short, a couple minutes at most.

Click HERE: THP Knowledge Academy - Bunkers & Slice Fixer

I looked at the videos for the slice fixer. I'm going to try the step drill and do the reps as suggested. I'll keep posting as to my progress.

Just FYI, it's been my observation that when many people think they're hitting a draw, they're hitting either a straight pull or a pull-draw. And similarly, a fade is often a straight push or a push-fade. I've certainly been guilty of this myself.

If you can control it and get the result you want, I don't suppose that technicality matters. It's just something to watch out for as you try to expand your knowledge and feel.

I used to be a slicer, now I'm fighting a hook. Wish I could have stopped the transition somewhere in between the two!
This happens more than one would think. The notorious ‘Dumped Under’ / Hip Stall / Handsy Release...shoot me some video if you want a set of eyes to check it out.

@TrueMotionMatt , I have been doing the slice correction drills that you recommended. I understand the concepts and recognize the need to shift weight to left side.

Comparing the drills to my usual swing, I realize that I slide my hips back and end up with all my weight on my back foot when I swing. That results in little to no weight shift to my left foot. My club comes down from the outside and I swing to the left.

I played tonight and tried to recreate the feeling from the drills I noticed an improvement in my iron play. I was making solid contact and hit the ball straight. And on tee shots with the driver, I feel that I am almost there.

I’m going to continue the drills daily. Palm down, step with left foot, turn back to target and swing through.

Awesome. You should try to feel very centered when you swing back. Your right hip should not sway right at all and should actually turn back around you towards the target. Feel your right foot corkscrewing clockwise into the ground.

Just FYI, it's been my observation that when many people think they're hitting a draw, they're hitting either a straight pull or a pull-draw. And similarly, a fade is often a straight push or a push-fade. I've certainly been guilty of this myself.

If you can control it and get the result you want, I don't suppose that technicality matters. It's just something to watch out for as you try to expand your knowledge and feel.
For me if I just make sure the ball is back slightly and helps the pull straight or pull draw. Ball position sometimes can be overlooked with the driver. I watched a guy one day that did not realize he had the ball out in front of his left foot. He moved it and he was gold.

I rarely hit draw shots much unless I force my right arm against my body and force the in to out swing. I have an issue sometimes with raising my left shoulder a tad early and I have to make sure my left hand is not weak. Left hand for me is a key component of not fading or slicing. I am amazed at how much my left hand affects my swing.

Back