If golf could not be an 18 hole game, how many holes should there be?

If golf could not be an 18 hole game, how many holes should there be?

• Total voters

It’s already set up that way. Front one day, back the next. Post the total score if you want.

I think 12 is the right answer. 9 leaves me wanting but sometimes the 5 hour marathon weekend rounds are rough.

12 holes. Six out. Six In. With land becoming a premium this might be the way of the future anyway. Also people these days are worried about spending 5 hrs to play a round on a weekend. This would cut it to 3.25 hrs for a slow Saturday round.
The only thing I wouldn't like about a course designed that way is that if we wanted to play 18, we'd have to wiggle in on the first tee for our third 6 around people who were teeing off for their first 6. It could make a real mess of the first tee, and pace of play on that final 6 could be excruciating.

I think the ideal setup would be to keep golf courses at 18 holes, but set them up so the turn is at #6 and #12 instead of #9. Those who want to only play 6 or 12 holes can drop out, those who want to play the full 18 can continue on. That might even make the rounds faster, since some of the crowd wouldn't be playing the final 6. It probably wouldn't be feasible for existing courses to remodel to, but future courses could do it. But then again, we know how golf is....

I suppose 18 is just right because that’s what we have known all our lives. If it had to be shorter - I would choose 16. I don’t think I would want it to be longer than 18.

I kind of like the idea of 20, because it could be broken to 5, 10, or 15 holes if you didn't want to do the full 20. Just feels like a nice split to me.

12 holes. Six out. Six In. With land becoming a premium this might be the way of the future anyway. Also people these days are worried about spending 5 hrs to play a round on a weekend. This would cut it to 3.25 hrs for a slow Saturday round.
I get this is probably the future of golf, but I will always feel a subtle emptiness if it's any less than 18 for a competitive round.

I voted for my wife who said 12. “I’m usually done with drinking and having fun after 12 and ready to go home” was her full answer 😂

I have often said 12 holes would be perfect. Build 18 in 6 hole routings.
There is a course here in Houston that does this. I haven’t played it in 20 years but I really liked the concept.

I like 14. My home course could easily be turned into a 14-hole layout.

Front nine plus five from the back:

CrossCreek14aw.jpg

Back nine plus five from the front:

1671822656828.jpeg

The only thing I wouldn't like about a course designed that way is that if we wanted to play 18, we'd have to wiggle in on the first tee for our third 6 around people who were teeing off for their first 6. It could make a real mess of the first tee, and pace of play on that final 6 could be excruciating.

I think the ideal setup would be to keep golf courses at 18 holes, but set them up so the turn is at #6 and #12 instead of #9. Those who want to only play 6 or 12 holes can drop out, those who want to play the full 18 can continue on. That might even make the rounds faster, since some of the crowd wouldn't be playing the final 6. It probably wouldn't be feasible for existing courses to remodel to, but future courses could do it. But then again, we know how golf is....

I see what you're doing. and I think it could work. Three 6-hole segments. It wouldn't be exactly traditional, but you could still play 18. 12-holes would still count as a full round for HC purposes.

12 seems to be about the number I would need to be satisfied

I like 9, or 18 but sometimes I think there should be a extra 3 or 4.
We sometimes play 9 then 1,2,1,2.

I think 9 or 12 would be great.

10 or 12

I like 9 because you could go around again if it wasn’t slow.

I like 18. I understand some people don’t have time for 18. Thankfully most courses let you play 9 if needed. One of the places I play, has 27 and are always switching up what two 9’s are paired together which helps with variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@JB already solve all the problems with his 12 hole idea a year or so ago, and no one was really into it.

And now 12 hole is winning handily. :LOL:

I love playing 18.

But if golf had been invented as a 12 hour sport, I think the time element would be a lot better. 4-5 hours is a big investment for a lot of people. By the time you had commute time and any warm up time, it's eating up a lot of time.

12 hours would keep it about the time of going to the movies or watching a sporting event. And would be easier for a lot of players to justify than I'll be gone for 5 1/2 hours.

I like 18 especially in comps a lot can happen on the back 9. If you don't have time for 18 play nine what's the problem.

I think 14 is ideal as that should shave off 45-60 minutes of a 4.5 hour round. . I like 12 as well and there are some great ideas in this thread on course set up.

I like 18, but thats because it's all i know. But i do feel like why do we even need to change it? if you want to play less, play 9, play 9 and 3 more and walk in.....changing makes about as much sense as making the hole bigger because a couple of people can't do it.......

Because of time concerns at timed, I am a huge proponent of 9 hole rounds but I still like to play 18. That said, I would settle for 12 holes.

We played a 13-hole par-3 course in Branson, and it was oddly satisfying as far as the number of holes. Plus, it was just amazing as far as layout and views.

Back