If you had $5k to buy a street legal golf cart, which way would you go?

pattyboy21

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We're moving to Sun City West, AZ next month. It's a golf cart community, so I'd like to buy a decent used one now and look to upgrade in a couple of years. In AZ, carts do have to be street legal to drive on the roads.

I'd appreciate any suggestions with regards to:

- important features
- gas vs electric
- brands
- red flags/what to avoid

Thanks in advance!

5k doesnt stretch much anymore.
I would find a used Club Car or EZ-Go or Yamaha since they are all made here and have a parts network.

I'll second what JB said. Club Car, EZGO, or Yamaha. My wife and I were just looking at carts and we looked at those, plus ICON, Evolution, and Bentelli. They were all nice, but after talking to as many owners as we could find, we ended up narrowing it down to Club Car or EZGO. It took awhile but we found a really nice street legal refurbished EZGO with lithium battery that checked all our boxes. Ended up getting it for $7k and that was the best we found by far.

We preferred electric and didn't want to deal with maintaining lead acid batteries, so we went lithium. Club Car and EZGO both have good lithium carts. If I were to buy gas, the Yamaha would probably be at the top of my list. Gas is also probably the cheapest way to go and lithium the most expensive. Just depends on what your preferences are there.

$5k will likely get you a 2-seater that will be a few years old and still have lead-acid batteries. Possibly not 48 volt and certainly not an AC motor unless it is an older model that has been fixed up and likely not a fast cart either. But for a first cart and to get you by for a few years, it's probably going to be fine.

My neighbor found a really nice one for under 5k on FB marketplace (it's the off season here, so there are deals to be had). New batteries (48 volt) and it had all the necessary things to get plated (turn signals, seat belts, wipers, etc.). I think it goes between 20-25 mph (but in our city it's not allowed to be faster than 25mph and can only go on roads with speed limits of 35mph or less). It also has the back seats and has been lifted with the off road tires. I want to say EZ Go or Yamaha, but I can't remember off the top of my head (it's bugging me).

Used Club Car, GAS. Just to give ya an idea, I have 5 in mine, 1990s, new seats, paint, dash, steering wheel, new wheels, etc.

For 10k you can get an Advanced EV. 48v lithium ion. There’s a few guys at my course that have them (including one of my regular playing partners). They are all very happy with them. I think they’re really sharp looking.

I spent just a little more, and got a lease return, with lithium, and they did some upgrades, but am right in line with what JB suggested...This is a RXV Lithium...267626C3-ECAF-4DAA-9B15-A455A10E2454_1_105_c.jpeg

Back