I'm lost...reoccurring shanks

Oh yeah, the shanks. Toe, or heel hits. A shank is a shank. I, like many others, am quite familiar with that swing.

I've also heard that suicide is not an option as a fix.

I don't even worry about a shank when I hit one. I don't know what I did wrong, so why worry about it. I figure a lot things are bing done wrong in my swing to cause a shank.

I'm of the opinion that toe hits, are not as hard to fix as a hosel shank.

My one, and only fix for a shank, is to slowly hit a few balls with a half way back, and half way forward swing, while going back to basics. This if I even want to deal with it at the time..

If it's a real problem, I just put the clubs away for few days, and go fishing. Let the problem disappear on it's own.

1.5 yr old thread. But it's the beginning of the season, and a good refresher time if you have these things.

True Confession - I've had a poor case of the skanks for almost a year. The quality of the backswing is now improved over the year as is the downswing, but I was forgetting to release from the top - it could be a full swing, it could be a chip and they would appear. I looked at my contact point frequently - a little too close to the hosel on decent hits and then I saw the dreaded hosel rocket mark.

Wasn't really certain of the cause because I was working on so many other swing issues and speed issues.

But yesterday was the last straw - I feared playing golf on the course. I was on the range and every third shot you guessed it...

So I went back to an old video of Pete Cowens, then Malaska, and the solution seemed simple - start releasing from the top, because if you wait, guess what ... the old hosel rocket.

So on resurrection morning, I needed divine help. Looked at the videos for the 3rd or 4th time and took it all to heart.

Two buckets, only one skanker, and I laughed. I only had to release earlier. I hit the Honma TW-X, T22 Wedges, Mizuno 223 and 225 irons and driver. All was divine to the extent and relevant to the before swings.

Contact was consistently on the sweet spot. And to get more speed with that release... If you don't want to take time after the natural forces talk, go to 13:30 where he talks about the shoulder movement and loading.

My guess is that the cause of your shanks has to do with your left arm. It is important to understand how the left arm needs to work in a golf swing. The humerus needs to fully rotate clockwise which rotates the forearm clockwise. The hand controls the amount of forearm rotation. Turning the palm up ((supination) decreases clockwise rotation of the clubface, while palm down (pronation) increases clockwise rotation. Make sure that the upper arm is fully rotated on all shots with the hand controlling the clubface and you will never shank again.

My guess is that the cause of your shanks has to do with your left arm. It is important to understand how the left arm needs to work in a golf swing. The humerus needs to fully rotate clockwise which rotates the forearm clockwise. The hand controls the amount of forearm rotation. Turning the palm up ((supination) decreases clockwise rotation of the clubface, while palm down (pronation) increases clockwise rotation. Make sure that the upper arm is fully rotated on all shots with the hand controlling the clubface and you will never shank again.

Thanks. I rid myself of them today with releasing from the top. I will take your advice.

Thanks. I rid myself of them today with releasing from the top. I will take your advice.
I should add that both upper arms need to rotate clockwise during the downswing on all shots where there is wrist break.

These have mostly disappeared, still not hitting my iron shots or driver as well as I am capable of, but it's ask l at least somewhat enjoyable to play currently.

I'm guessing it's the toe. All I know is when I make contact the club turns 90* toward my trailing foot, and the ball never gets off the ground and hard pushes right.

If it's the "S" word, look for dimple imprint on the hosel. If it's the toe, that's a different fix.

While you’re not looking for a band aid, my go-to on the course when that starts to happen to me is to go for a strike on the opposite side of the face. You usually don’t hit it that far over. Just keep adjusting as you go along.

this isn’t the best advice for a long term fix BUT it can help if you’re in the middle of the round.

lol, just noticed I was replying to Qwkz51 on a thread from 2 years ago. However, in regards to the shank word, when it happens to me, it just reminds me that A) I'm getting over the top. or B) I'm decelerating thru impact. In either case, my hands get to high thru impact.

If it's a toe shot and my posture is correct, most likely I got the clubhead to far inside on take away and got STUCK. In either case an over the top move is probably coming my way.

Edit: if it happens on chip or pitch shots, I probably set up closed instead of open to the target.

Back