I'm switching to a 10 finger grip

I'm switching to a 10 finger grip

I'm a strictly an interlock guy now, but I started off 10 finger and have gone back at times with the driver when I'm having issues.

For me it feels that I pull the ball more with the 10 finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago I tried the 10 finger grip, it allowed my right hand to take over resulting in serious hooks. So, I've never played a round with the 10 finger.

For those with chaffing issues; could it be because your grip pressure is too firm?

I played around with the 10 finger grip a couple years ago when my swing was struggling, but I went to the interlocking grip and it has been great. The only thing I found inconsistent with the 10 finger grip is that the hands can work independently sometimes as opposed to the interlock where it keeps the hands working together.

All I can say is dont go messing anything up before the RR. carry on now.

Years ago I tried the 10 finger grip, it allowed my right hand to take over resulting in serious hooks. So, I've never played a round with the 10 finger.

For those with chaffing issues; could it be because your grip pressure is too firm?

I did notice its def more draw bias. Not really a hook but I have to make sure I aim accordingly to account for it. BUT, that's just with my irons. My driver and 3 wood off the tee is as straight as an arrow....

As for the chaffing....I don't "think" im gripping to tight but then again it could be

Started with 10 finger for several years. Switched to vardon overlap because I figured there is a reason 99.9% of pros do it. For me it made me horrible at first, but once I got use to it my swing became much more athletic. I had more flexibility with my hands and could roll my right forearm over easier. I hit the ball much further but also developed a hook. Also I still play baseball. With a baseball swing you want to not get flippy with the bat and hit the inside of the ball which if translated to golf would cause a huge slice which is what I see most from baseball players moving to golf. It's weird switching between sports and I have struggled with the better I get at golf, the less power I hit with in baseball.

Long-time interlock grip, switched to the 10-finger a couple of seasons ago. I can't say it was a night-and-day difference, but it feels better on my hands. (I have arthritis, and my right pinky tip bends away from my hand, and my left index fingertip bends towards my middle finger.)

Like this? Not that you have to copy it, but I like my grip. I haven't had finger or thumb sprains ever since I switched.
80d2aa7ac609a55da00accdc41427c8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk
Yeah like that somewhat. I was pulling everything right at the range yesterday. Switch to the 10 finger and very straight after that.. so keep my left hand as nomal, thumb down the grip, just instead of overlapping I moved my right hand down but with same position as the overlap and it feels different, but it may just work. Playing a round thursday, so will see what my grip and swing are doing at the range and if I need to switch up I will.

May be the chafed finger causing pain causing me to not make good contact. Not sure but I'll play it as I feel the need to.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I started playing with the 10 finger and it felt right, then it didn't and I switched to the interlock and haven't gone back since. Definitely about what feels right to you.

I switched to the 10 finger last year for a little while, I just couldn't get used to it. I ended going back to the interlocking grip

I could never use the 10 finger it's so weird IMO, always used the interlock, what i was taught and will never change

I switched a couple months ago and it has really helped reduce my slice

I have used the overlap grip for the last 8 or 9 years. Started developing a bit of the yips with my chips that would come on all of a sudden, then leave. One day I started fooling around with a interlocking grip with my chips. It has been a life saver. I have become such a better short game player. I feel like I can make every shot that I chip.

I've been a 10 finger guy for most of my golf life. I tried the overlap for a year or so and just didn't feel like I could get a good release of the club. I also feel that the 10 finger gives me more control on my chips and pitches. I'll never go away from the 10 finger again....

I started 18 months ago using the interlock grip and I've had issues with slicing since day one. I tried the 10 finger grip for a couple of weeks this summer and was driving the ball much better but hitting my iron shots fat so I gave up on it.

I really liked the feel of the 10 finger grip though. I felt very powerful and in total control of the club....too much control in fact. Instead of feeling like my arms and hands were just "along for the ride" I would make very arms-y and hands-y swings.

This thread has got me thinking about using the 10 finger exclusively for my driver though. Never really thought about using a different grip for different clubs before.

Will be playing tomorrow. Will see what my range time tomorrow shows. If my overlap grip is pulling em, gonna try out 10 finger.

Always have gamed the 10 finger grip. At the range I've played around with the interlock but man its definitely different and uncomfortable feeling. I keep going back to my old ways.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm on a 10 finger grip. I'm more comfortable that way

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

May be the chafed finger causing pain causing me to not make good contact. Not sure but I'll play it as I feel the need to.

Chafing means movement in the grip during the swing, which can't be good. It's like firing a sniper rifle from a rocking chair. Chafing on the right index finger against the glove, from how I imagine it, means rubbing the index finger against the left thumb. One of them is in motion during the swing.

Anyway, good luck on your experiment and I hope you'll find the grip that is most comfortable and stable for you. My two cents worth is whatever you choose, commit to it and let it play out in all your shots down to chipping and putting, and whatever it is, there should be no wiggle or play in the grip during the shot.

10 finger guy here as well. Tried the interlock, don't like it. I've been told its a no-no to do 10 finger....don't care. I struggle with grip pressure using overlap because one hand influences the other too much. I also find that I like the 100% feel of the grip in my top hand. With the overlap, my pointer is not on the grip and that's my trigger, I give the final squeeze with my top hand right before my takeaway and like to feel my pointer/trigger finger engage the grip.

Back