Importance of putting practice

TJRyska

#LivingtheDream
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.5
54AD22C9-97EF-4E1C-AF66-3C900C9FE52B.jpeg

True and not true at the same time. Yes, it is true that putting is about 40% of the game for almost all levels of golfer. But at the same time, you have to recognize a good chunk of those putts are tap ins or really short putts that are high make percentage putts, regardless of skill. There are only about 15-20 putts of consequence per round where low skill and high skill makes a difference. And even then, the differences between low and high skill are not enormous. For example, if a 95 shooter was suddenly able to putt like a 75 shooter golfer, they would only shave 4.3 strokes off their game. The remaining 15.7 shots come from the long game and that's what really separates good golfers from poor ones.

60bd7f1d9d52208f1e9d1df7_Screenshot%202021-06-06%20220424.jpg

Putting practice is a must. You gotta get the ball in the hole. Being comfortable with your flatstick is important for confidence!

Most don't practice enough and switch putters often. Find a putter you like and works for you and keep it. When going to the course I spend more time on the putting green getting speed down than I do on the driving range.

It’s easy to say most are tap ins. But it’s not that easy. The key to me? Don’t 3 putt. I’ll say it again. Don’t 3 putt. You only have tap ins if you are good at lag putting. The line means nothing if it’s 4ft by or 4ft short. Most high cappers hit 2 maybe 3 GIRs per round? Which means they better make some 6-8ft (or more) putts after a mediocre chip/pitch or they are blow up hole away from shooting North of 95. Great putting is what allowed me to break 90. Miss the green. Make a reasonable chip/pitch. Drain some putts for Par. I always knew if I got on the green 1 over regulation I was gonna get a bogey at the most. I’ve passed that level now (most rounds) but getting really good at putting is what spring-boarded me to even want to get there.

“The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

I'm not saying not to practice putting, but I'm just pointing out that it doesn't have as big of gains as some think, unless you just are really bad at putting (i.e 3-4 putt every green).

The general consensus is that practicing putting and chipping will yield the fastest improvements, but the biggest improvements come from practicing the long game. Mark Broadie's studies and his strokes gained methodology back this up with data. So it really depends what you're after. Fast improvements or big improvements. Practicing putting will yield faster, but smaller improvements while long game will yield slower, but larger improvements.

Practice alignment and pace for putting is big for trying to avoid the three putt.

I'm not saying not to practice putting, but I'm just pointing out that it doesn't have as big of gains as some think, unless you just are really bad at putting (i.e 3-4 putt every green).

The general consensus is that practicing putting and chipping will yield the fastest improvements, but the biggest improvements come from practicing the long game. Mark Broadie's studies and his strokes gained methodology back this up with data. So it really depends what you're after. Fast improvements or big improvements. Practicing putting will yield faster, but smaller improvements while long game will yield slower, but larger improvements.
While I'll agree that I lose more strokes in the long game, a stroke is a stroke whether it's a 1-inch tap in or a 300 yard drive. I shot an 86 the other day with 31 putts - if I had 2-putted every green, that would have turned that 86 into a 91. Anywhere you can eliminate strokes from your game is helpful, they all add up!

I think putting is as important to practice as any other aspect of the game. I see putting as a pretty easy and fun thing to practice that can have a direct impact on your score. It may not be a huge impact, but a positive impact nonetheless. I'd love to be able to practice every shot every day, but I don't have the time or facilities to be able to do that. However, I can practice putting every day very easily (and really need to make sure I do it).

While I'll agree that I lose more strokes in the long game, a stroke is a stroke whether it's a 1-inch tap in or a 300 yard drive. I shot an 86 the other day with 31 putts - if I had 2-putted every green, that would have turned that 86 into a 91. Anywhere you can eliminate strokes from your game is helpful, they all add up!

Yes, a stroke is a stroke, but the key question is what gives you the most bang for your buck when it comes to the limited practice time that most amateurs have. The answer will not be the same for everyone, but in the example of the average 95 shooter vs. the average 75 shooter above, how long do you think it would really take for 95 shooter to improve their skills to the level of a 75 shooter? Weeks, months, years all to save an average of 4.3 strokes? Could that person save more strokes with the same time invested in their long game? Again, we're talking about the average golfer in each category, not those that deviate from the average significantly (i.e. the exceptions).

Most don't practice enough and switch putters often. Find a putter you like and works for you and keep it. When going to the course I spend more time on the putting green getting speed down than I do on the driving range.

I like this approach. I spend way more time practicing putting than I do on the range hitting balls.

Fortunately, I thoroughly enjoy putting practice. It's almost a hobby, one that I started at an early age.

Out here in western MA this is peak putting season! Rolling 50+ putts a day here indoors on my Wellputt.
Jokes aside, putting is also a huge part of my training and warm ups during the season.

Practicing putting so that you are confident or even somewhat confident can a should take the stress off some of those approach and chip shots. Less stress should relate to better results in said shot.

^^^THIS^^^
I’m always amazed how often folks switch putters. I’ve been using the same putter for over a decade and love it. Putt so well but I also practice a ton.

Fortunately, I thoroughly enjoy putting practice. It's almost a hobby, one that I started at an early age.
As I can tell, oh great Puttmaster!! Teach us your ways!

True and not true at the same time. Yes, it is true that putting is about 40% of the game for almost all levels of golfer. But at the same time, you have to recognize a good chunk of those putts are tap ins or really short putts that are high make percentage putts, regardless of skill. There are only about 15-20 putts of consequence per round where low skill and high skill makes a difference. And even then, the differences between low and high skill are not enormous. For example, if a 95 shooter was suddenly able to putt like a 75 shooter golfer, they would only shave 4.3 strokes off their game. The remaining 15.7 shots come from the long game and that's what really separates good golfers from poor ones.

60bd7f1d9d52208f1e9d1df7_Screenshot%202021-06-06%20220424.jpg

I agree. I think the point is that folks forget how often one actually uses their putter. A golfer heads to the range and pounds ball after ball with his/her driver for 30 mins and they forget that you may only use your driver a max of 14 times a round. Yet, they wont spend 30 mins on the green practicing their putting and you use your putter for double the strokes (even though some are tap-ins) during a normal round.

Last edited:
Some valid points here both ways. I would suggest that practicing with correct alignment/technique is important for success - for a beginner/amateur rolling 100 putts a day without focusing on set-up/alignment is no different to me than pounding 50 balls with your driver on the range. I practiced putting a lot more last year which led to more confidence on the greens, but a few weeks ago my instructor pointed out to me some flaws in my set-up/alignment that had probably been leading to a lot of missed putts.

I get that the approach and long games have a bigger impact on my score. All I need to do it remember any approach shot that ended up in a trap, the water, or in a tough spot off the green to realize that (to say nothing of tee shots that required a punch-out from the trees).

But very few things on the golf course are more disappointing/discouraging/maddening than the times I've been on in regulation 20 or 30 feet from the hole and walked off with a bogey.

Practice....get fit for putter and ball.....practice......change putter because it is cooler....practice.....new headcover.......old putter.....practice......new ball....

Practice....get fit for putter and ball.....practice......change putter because it is cooler....practice.....new headcover.......old putter.....practice......new ball....
Sounds about right. I think Einstein defiend insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Which would apply here with golfers and putter changes haha

working on putting technique and then practicing that technique offers so much improvement opportunity for just about every golfer; yet almost no one i play with puts any real time into it. and aspects can be done at home. and it is half the game.

other aspects of the game appear more fun to many

Back