Improvements in your Game 2020

My wedge game and putting has improved this year but the driving and long and mid irons have been a work in progress to put it nicely

After a bit of struggling, I think I'm starting to put it all together. Bunker play has improved to "adequate", putting and short game are really sharp, driving is excellent and iron play is FINALLY improving. I'm hoping to better the 73 I shot last Friday and maybe even post a PB by the end of 2020!

My driving and long game have improved. My putting has also improved.

I have had a ton of improvement over the last 2 years. I started 2019 as a 22 handicap. Thanks to a lot of work and the WHS I am currently a 13.9. I have played a lot and put a lot of work into reducing the over the top motion in my swing. The 2 biggest areas of improvement have been driving it in the fairway more often and getting the ball on the green inside of 100.

I'm still new so think I will see greater relative improvement. I first started playing golf in July last year. Played my first ever 18 hole round in September, and my scores were around 110 - 120, with a few generous mulligans thrown in.

This year since lockdown was lifted I have been playing and practising a lot. My Putting is decent, and my driving with a 3w is awesome. Perfectly straight 90+% fairways hit, between 200 and 250 yds depending on how well it rolls.

Irons are inconsistent, with lots of topped shots still, but getting better.

I'm still playing with my Wilson Prostaff HDX set, but don't think it will be too long before I feel confident enough to go for a fitting.

I'm still new so think I will see greater relative improvement. I first started playing golf in July last year. Played my first ever 18 hole round in September, and my scores were around 110 - 120, with a few generous mulligans thrown in.

This year since lockdown was lifted I have been playing and practising a lot. My Putting is decent, and my driving with a 3w is awesome. Perfectly straight 90+% fairways hit, between 200 and 250 yds depending on how well it rolls.

Irons are inconsistent, with lots of topped shots still, but getting better.

I'm still playing with my Wilson Prostaff HDX set, but don't think it will be too long before I feel confident enough to go for a fitting.
Glad to see you are improving! Nice hits with a 3 wood. That is my most difficult club. I put it in the bag and later take it out. I can either crush it nice and long, or hit so poorly just as well leave it home sometimes. Not sure why, but consistency with it is missing.

My index has gone up several strokes, but with the exception of few rounds, the bad golf has been more enjoyable this year.

course management has improved (fewer "hero" shots attempted)

Putting has improved - starting my putt on intended line and good distance control. Now need to read the greens better

Driving improved sort of - driver comes and goes but have figured out how to consistently close the face and produce some straight shots.

Long clubs improved - 5 wood has been fantastic for 2 years now. Driver off the deck is a shot I am becoming more comfortable with (in certain situations)

Better/more consistent contact all around, less chunks or tops

Pitching/Chipping has fallen a bit. Trying new methods with the 54 or the Gap to produce a little more bump and run vs my 58 wedge

After some steady improvement to my game, i have experienced a set back. I think I understand the major why, so hopefully it a matter of time and persistence to work through it.

Two things have really changed for me this year:

1) Accuracy off the tee (driver and 3-wood)

2) Ability to not let a bad shot ruin a hole, but rather recover from it and not let the hole get out of control.

Two things have really changed for me this year:

1) Accuracy off the tee (driver and 3-wood)

2) Ability to not let a bad shot ruin a hole, but rather recover from it and not let the hole get out of control.

It's amazing ho much of a factor point 2 plays.

Usually I'm ok with the odd shot, but if I have 3 or 4 in a row my confidence behind the ball goes completely out the window, I over analyze what I'm doing wrong, and most of the time change things midswing which just makes things even worse and I come away feeling deflated as if my entire game is gone and the last 2 months of improvements were for naught.

It's amazing ho much of a factor point 2 plays.

Usually I'm ok with the odd shot, but if I have 3 or 4 in a row my confidence behind the ball goes completely out the window, I over analyze what I'm doing wrong, and most of the time change things midswing which just makes things even worse and I come away feeling deflated as if my entire game is gone and the last 2 months of improvements were for naught.
My mental focus for a round is play the shot you are hitting right now. Don't think about how you got here. Don't think about what could possibly happen if you keep hitting good ones or bad ones, etc. Just be present on the current shot, make a plan for that shot, and execute it as well as possible. My thought is about 70% of my swings will be good, 20% will be subpar, and 10% will be bad. I don't know what order they're coming in so no need to project the last one too far into the future and work myself up into a tizzy about either how good or how bad the round is going to be.

Last year, my brother talked about trying to release the putter better and closing the toe after impact. Playing around with that, I noticed some immediate improvement as. But I was trying to do it with my hands too much and consequently would pull a number of putts.

For the past couple of months, I've concentrated on my left elbow. Specifically, I let my left elbow kind of brush backwards against my left ribcage and work backwards post-impact. That allows the putter to release beautifully with no hand manipulations.

So far my putting has been tremendous doing this.

Back