Interesting Group I was paired up with today - I am usually a single so I get what I get

Haha! I was waiting for this!!!!

If they had the figure for the clothes i don’t think I’d have brought it up. Sadly, they didn’t. Still, sort of hard to not look.
That answers all my questions.

I am a glutton for punishment, I would have asked how often they play, and if they said first time or never, asked if they would like some pointers on etiquette and flow of the game (not swing, I'm horrible) I probably would have ended up being their buddy and booked another 18 as a 4-some with them in the future.

What can I say I'm a Realtor, and I tag on with groups about once a month to meet people and try to get new clients.

Usually it's members and all goes well. Not today - I state in advance that I was not angry and I tried to be helpful - where possible. But these kids what a mess - I don't get it.

First off 2 girls and 1 guy - they are all mid-late 20s all friends and all nice the entire 9 holes.

Each of them had a new bag of sticks, full packages all top shelf, Srixon for the guy, one girl played Cleveland and the other played Mizuno. Ordinarily not an issue, but none of these kids it appeared ever played before or knew any of the rules or etiquette. All things that I was happy to accept - sort a whistle while you work kind of thing. I don't get what appeared to be around $5-6k of equipment, matching new bags too, and they went through about 2 dozen ish balls for the 9 holes.

Also they were not from here, rather visiting as noted by "ooooh an alligator, I never saw one before" then they went to get photos, I tried to warn them to stay a reasonable distance and as they got closer the gator went for a swim - no issues.

Ok, now the golf, never played before, no practice swings ever, just hit the ball - nearly every shot was 2 ft off the ground occasionally they hit a nice shot. Often each of them whiffed - multiple times, this would happen 2 to 3 shots per hole for 1 or 2 of them. On the greens, it was putt putt, one started and kept putting until complete - most scores were said aloud - usually 8 or 9. One of the girls did get a regulation 4 on a par 3, the ball never getting more then 3 ft off the ground. Hit out of sand, then just walk out, rakes everywhere but no one used one, and now we are 15 minutes behind so I am not saying squat.

A group of old ladies behind us getting mad, but I was ready to defend these kids so ready to say 'what you never had days like this when you were learning the game?' fortunately unnecessary.

I won't go into the clothes, in detail let's say they were dressed for a cross between the beach and the gym. Shorts either too tight or too short and tops were not supportive - and I was cool with both. The girls were really nice, and the guy was just quiet - he was properly dressed, even had a course hat on.

Anyway, this is the SHORT version - I don't get the equipment and lack of knowledge - I would assume more Sam Snead Blue Ridge starter set or something.

Fun times. Stay well and play well everyone.
Gonna need pics of the shorts and tops the girls were wearing....for research

You were waaaay more engaged than I ever would have been.

Sounds like they were necessarily slow due to being beginners but doing the best they could to keep moving. That kind of stinks but it's something that hopefully you don't get stuck with more than once in a blue moon.

As for what kind of clubs or clothes some random pair-up has, I can't recall that ever being something I cared about.
Just trying to be polite. As to clubs. Sorry if that the impression i gave, i was surprised at the newness of the clubs compared to the players. That’s when i looked more closely…there was plenty of time.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen new players with full bags of current stuff, head scratcher

Not sure how you made it thru this? You're patience is much better than mine, that's for sure. I would have politely said things about etiquette where appropriate. They have to learn somehow. Don't just play willy-nilly & act like you are the only one on the course. I hope it was only for 9 holes. How long did it take?
Yes only 9. I was torn as to what to say, so i just kept my distance. They were very polite, but we were lagging. I think we were close to 2:30. As a single in the back I was waiting in every tee by #13. And i hit 2 balls most of the time.

I am a glutton for punishment, I would have asked how often they play, and if they said first time or never, asked if they would like some pointers on etiquette and flow of the game (not swing, I'm horrible) I probably would have ended up being their buddy and booked another 18 as a 4-some with them in the future.

What can I say I'm a Realtor, and I tag on with groups about once a month to meet people and try to get new clients.
Excellent point, i should hands engaged, honestly though they seemed happy with each others company, i didn’t want to butt in.

Sounds like you did a good job of being an ambassador of the game, and encouraging them. Everyone has to start somewhere, and yeah I get the slow play comments, but if someone goes out during their first couple of rounds and gets absolutely shredded they probably aren't gonna be back, and that's not great either.

But maybe if we all slowed down a bit and enjoyed the moment and the friends around us, instead of the pressing need to get it over with, maybe we might find our way back to the essence of golf. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I somehow don’t think the originators of this game were worried much about the clock as they hacked their way from one sheep***t, hollowed-out bunker into another. I kinda think the shared community was more important to them than that.

Again, it sounds like the kids described in the OP were having fun. And I can’t find anything wrong with that. 😉
As long as they are keeping up with the group in front, or holding the rest of the course up, then I'm ok with that. Or, if. you are, let people play through.

Yes only 9. I was torn as to what to say, so i just kept my distance. They were very polite, but we were lagging. I think we were close to 2:30. As a single in the back I was waiting in every tee by #13. And i hit 2 balls most of the time.
A single is pretty much going to wait behind a foursome every time. I’m always hyper aware of this any time I play, and if there’s an open road ahead I’ll waive them through.

@JW Smoove you're a saint my man.

The equipment they rolled with kills me.
I would have never dreamed of buying this year's models when starting to learn the game.

Must be a generation thing or parents with cash to burn.
Rental clubs?
My wife is playing in FL and they’ve got her in a brand new set of Clevelands (she loves them, by the way)

A single is pretty much going to wait behind a foursome every time. I’m always hyper aware of this any time I play, and if there’s an open road ahead I’ll waive them through.
Yes they had several opportunities chose not to. That was a real group of unaware a holes.

I’ll stop it at that. Course was wide open in front of them.

Rental clubs?
My wife is playing in FL and they’ve got her in a brand new set of Clevelands (she loves them, by the way)
Could be, but not from the course.

That must have been painful

Well, at least you got in some good practice then. ;)

I think i forgot to mention they had music, does not bother me at all. But they were young metal heads😀😀. Led Zepplin, Ozzy, Black Sabbath a few others i recognized. That was sort of cool. But I’m deaf so it works need to be quite loud.

Go with the flow, that's what I always say. Someone had to put up with me when I first started golf, so it's alway7s good to return the favor. You handled it about the same way I would have.

I probably would’ve played through and left them behind.

Sam Snead Blue Ridge. My first set.

I might have asked “How often do you play?” Their answers could have opened the door to some etiquette discussions.

But you were remarkably patient.

That was my first set as well. Got it as a Christmas present. I think everything was swingweighted at about D95!
Mine too, stratabloc construction woods only odd clubs and 2 way putter Circa 1974? Still have the putter!

Somehow, my original putter came from a Putt-Putt course! It had the 4 stars stamped into the sole of the putter and the molded on rubber grip. It was all nicked up, and looked like someone had used it to pound nails! I didn't know crap about equipment back then and used it for years.
Not “old ladies”. OLD LADIES. Like late 70s or so. One teed off while we were on the green. The hole for them was 115 yards, she used a wood and was 40 yards short!! I was worried she was sending us a message. Turns out she was just really old. I’m old, but not like that, I don’t get pissed playing golf.

Other than that, i agree with your perspective. I will say, it was a lot to take in.

Ever play behind "ancient" people? A few years ago our group was told that we had to tee off on the back because an outing was coming in. After waiting for 20 minutes while 2 groups of octo or nonogenarians dropped anchor in front of us, I told my group that we were going back to talk to the starter. Looking at the pavilions on the way back , I don't see anybody setting up! I talk to the starter and ask him when the outing is scheduled to tee off, and he gave me a time that was an hour and 20 minutes in the future!

I almost blew my stack, and TOLD the starter that we will tee off on the first! Long story short, the outing never caught sight of us, and we caught up to "the ancients" on #18! I took them nearly 4 hours to play 9! God bless them that they are still out there, but sometimes there will be clashes.

Back