Interesting Situation

WLG1952

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I was playing yesterday with a Colorado tourist.

From the tee box, we could see the fairway was being watered. We tee'd off anyway.

When we arrived at his ball, it was in a deep fairway divot that was full of standing water. The sprinklers had just turned off.

He asked me if that was considered casual water. I told him it didn't matter. That our course allows us to remove balls from fairway divots, just as long as we repair the divot properly.

Now assuming the course you are playing doesn't use our rule, how would you handle this type of ball lie? Casual water, or play it as the ball lies.

Definition of casual water.

No way I'm hitting from a water filled divot in the fairway in a non-competitive round.
^ This.

As I always tell people, "we're not in a tournament and we're not playing for money, do whatever you want to do".

I would be taking it out of the casual water divot.

Definition of casual water.

exactly, this situation sounds like it would pretty clearly be covered by casual water

No way I'm hitting from a water filled divot in the fairway in a non-competitive round.
Face Ditto GIF by Pokémon

I would pick it up, clean it, replace it on a tee and smash it. This works great in bunkers too.
🤦‍♂️ Just play it where it lies. 😁

The purists will say play it as it lies.

I say casual water, lift/clean/place/throw it toward the green to get away from the water.

Like everyone said I'm not hitting from a water filled divot.

Back