Interlocking or overlapping grip?

Overlap, because it feels comfortable and passive, I don't like the way the interlock makes the locked fingers feel strained a bit, and do not believe the hands need to become a single unit in the swing, a little independence is fine.

I started with interlocking but when I took a few lessons in high school I switched to overlap and have stuck with it ever since. Like most changes it felt SUPER awkward at first. Now when I try to interlock I feel like a baby deer trying to walk for the first time.

Interlock has always just felt more natural and secure for me.

I just switched to interlock as i feel i have better control of the club

When I started playing I used an overlap grip, but (and I can't remember when) I gave the interlock grip a try and have stuck with it ever since. I did try the overlap again but just couldn't get comfortable with it so interlock it is

I have played with an interlock since day one, And I have always had larger hands. I learned the game from my dad who has smaller hands. I have tinkered with overlap, which seems to help me from getting flippy, but I can't take it to the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched from a 10 finger to interlock.
Took awhile to feel comfortable. While trying to find comfort and security in my grip I tried overlap.
I found worth the overlap I felt like I was losing connection.

So I stayed with interlock grip.

I used to overlap but I committed to interlocking last year and it has improved my swing power.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I interlocked when I first started playing golf but now I overlap. I feel that interlocking limits my wrist hinge too much and makes it difficult for me to release the club properly. My miss is typically a block to the right, so interlock is pretty much death for my swing.

Small hands (7" from wrist to tip of middle finger, according to the glove fitting kiosk).
Started,with the interlock, played it for a couple of decades, then, switched to the 10-finger a couple of seasons ago. Mostly because my right pinky and left index finger were starting to deform from arthritis.
Last weekend, while at the range, and getting some tips from my brother, I switched back to the interlock, and hit the ball well. I didn't notice any increased pain or discomfort from my hands, so today I went strictly interlock at the range. After 3 buckets (180-200 balls), I felt some aching, but nothing horrendous.
The interlock felt strong and very controlled on the club. I'm going to keep with it, and see what happens.

Over lapped for over 25 years. 2 years ago switched to the interlock because it eases the pain in my hands especially the right hand.

I'm considering a change. I've been an interlocker forever. I don't know why, it's just always what I've done. Anyway, that grip seems to put a lot of pressure on a ligament between my pinky and ring fingers of my right hand that was recently injured. I hit a ball at the range yesterday and had intense pain. I switched to overlap and no pain. On top of injury management I have larger hands, so maybe I should have been overlapping all along. It does feel weird though, almost like my right hand isn't on the club.

Overlapping

Arthritis = Baseball Grip, no more pain.

I interlock only because that is what I was taught 20 years ago and feels normal now.

I've been reading Harvey Penick's Little Red Book this week as my annual tradition at the start of the spring. One section that stood out to me was about interlocking vs overlapping grips. Harvey never liked the way that interlocking grip looked and thought it most useful for those with small hands.

What do you use and why? When I started golfing back in the day, I gravitated towards the overlap. However, none of my friends or teachers did, so I eventually switched to the interlock. I think it's the preferred grip by most nowadays, but I'm wondering why it changed.

I think my grip is alright, but I'm not a good enough golfer to think something I'm doing is beyond improvement. I think the next time I hit the range, I'm going to give the overlap a try.

Harvey actually promoted 10 finger grip for most golfers. I tried I like it and I've been using it for the last 2 years.

I interlock with a slight overlap as well. Real strong left hand. Haven't had any issues since changing from a overlap 12 years ago

The Mickey Mantle baseball grip. I came from interlocking and always had finger sprains after the game.

Always been interock and a fade guy....love to try overlap to see if a draw would be easier

Overlapping

I've had a 10 finger grip my whole life. I know it wouldn't be taught but it works for me.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Interlock because Tiger did (I copied everything he did when I was first starting at age 13).

Back