Iron Shaft Pondering

2Tall4Golf

Reaction score
Handicap
Originally got fitted for Nippon Modus 120 stiff shafts about 10 years ago. Made some swing changes and got refit into Rifle Blank 6.0 a few years back. The Rifles caused me some elbow problems (never had problems before these shafts). Rest didn't seem to work, and my instructor confirmed I wasn't doing anything abnormal to cause stress on the joint, so I switched to Steelfiber 110cw stiff shaft hard stepped 1x. I'm not sure if its the balance point of the shafts, or the actual weight of the shaft but my iron game has struggled ever since making the switch to graphite. I do have KBS 610 S+ (125 gram) wedge shafts which I have no problems with and enjoy the flight of.

That leads me to pondering I've been doing the past few days. What KBS shaft would be similar to the 610 wedge shaft? I'm thinking I'd like to be in the 120-125 gram range. I can always go back to the Nippon Modus, but as I get along with the 610 wedge shaft, I'd like to find something similar in the KBS line. For reference my 6 iron swing speed can be anywhere from 92-95 mph depending on the day.

Please move to the “Golf Shaft Pondering” thread if more appropriate.

if you were fit to modus not sure why you would t go back to modus? in the kbs line, $ taper may be similar to modus 120 but i’m not 100% sure.

1620526472672.jpeg
KBS has this chart for a general idea. The 610 is a Low to Mid launching shaft. Weight wise I believe the $-Taper is what fits that range in your OP the others either bump up a flex or add a bit of weight.

DG S300. Accept no substitute.
Yeah, if you like steel there isn’t much argument here.

Having played the S300 for the first half, and Projext X for the second half of last year, I’m back in Camp Graphite.

Will be putting the ACCRA iSeries 100 Tour into play this year.

Originally got fitted for Nippon Modus 120 stiff shafts about 10 years ago. Made some swing changes and got refit into Rifle Blank 6.0 a few years back. The Rifles caused me some elbow problems (never had problems before these shafts). Rest didn't seem to work, and my instructor confirmed I wasn't doing anything abnormal to cause stress on the joint, so I switched to Steelfiber 110cw stiff shaft hard stepped 1x. I'm not sure if its the balance point of the shafts, or the actual weight of the shaft but my iron game has struggled ever since making the switch to graphite. I do have KBS 610 S+ (125 gram) wedge shafts which I have no problems with and enjoy the flight of.

That leads me to pondering I've been doing the past few days. What KBS shaft would be similar to the 610 wedge shaft? I'm thinking I'd like to be in the 120-125 gram range. I can always go back to the Nippon Modus, but as I get along with the 610 wedge shaft, I'd like to find something similar in the KBS line. For reference my 6 iron swing speed can be anywhere from 92-95 mph depending on the day.

what is it you like about the 610 in your wedges because spin will be a different with irons so understanding what you like about the performance in wedges will help

View attachment 9006979
KBS has this chart for a general idea. The 610 is a Low to Mid launching shaft. Weight wise I believe the $-Taper is what fits that range in your OP the others either bump up a flex or add a bit of weight.

Agreed, try the $-taper or C-taper, fantastic for high spin players that need a smooth shaft that won't feel like a traditional steel shaft. I used S300s for 6 months before I got my C-tapers and make elbow pain went away. I had very similar issues but didn't like graphite across any irons except a utility.

Highly recommend them, C-tapers transformed my game and reduced impact on joints.

I’m going to try to find a place that does shaft retro fitting, as I’m not looking for new irons yet.

So you went to a constant weight i110cw and can't figure out why you struggled?

SF 110 are a different shaft even within the steelfiber line 95 & 125 play much different.

SF i95 in regular with correct static weight & swing weight would be idea

I played Modus 120, love that shaft! Give you another line of thinking....Recoil 110, I know the profile isn't exact as Modus 120, but for whatever they certainly feel & play awfully similar- especially that kick into impact. They also swingweight out way better than SF i110cw

I was fit this spring to Modus 120. My fitter said they have a bit of a 'unique' profile. (I'm not a shaft guru so others may be able to add color to what 'unique' means. My rough understanding is that they are a bit softer in the middle).

I made the call to try graphite with the Morgan Cup irons. In graphite was fit to the Recoils. It may be worth looking into if you wanted to try a different graphite option.

So you went to a constant weight i110cw and can't figure out why you struggled?

SF 110 are a different shaft even within the steelfiber line 95 & 125 play much different.

SF i95 in regular with correct static weight & swing weight would be idea

I played Modus 120, love that shaft! Give you another line of thinking....Recoil 110, I know the profile isn't exact as Modus 120, but for whatever they certainly feel & play awfully similar- especially that kick into impact. They also swingweight out way better than SF i110cw

i went cf110cw for a hot minute. gawd did i hate the hell out of those shafts.

Yeah, if you like steel there isn’t much argument here.

Having played the S300 for the first half, and Projext X for the second half of last year, I’m back in Camp Graphite.

Will be putting the ACCRA iSeries 100 Tour into play this year.
How do you like the iSeries 100 Tour? Kicking around new iron shafts over winter...

How do you like the iSeries 100 Tour? Kicking around new iron shafts over winter...
I like them a lot.

Having previously played the Recoil 95, I was looking for something slightly heavier with the sensation of a little higher torque. I also knew I wanted to move back into graphite after testing out the Project X.

I definitely appreciated being able to trim to the exact specs I wanted, in both length and flex. I ultimately went with stock Mizuno length, but tip trimmed to S+ flex.

Ball flight feels penetrating and I’d say it looks more like a mid-height when comparing them to the two aforementioned shafts.

I definitely think they load well during the swing and have just the right amount of “kick” during the follow through. I’d say it feels smooth, but powerful.

And of course the looks. I really like visual tech, and the iSeries Tour has it in spades. With the Ti mesh at the tip, and clear coat overtop of carbon fibre, it satisfies my eye test.

Ultimately, I would make the same decision again.

I like them a lot.

Having previously played the Recoil 95, I was looking for something slightly heavier with the sensation of a little higher torque. I also knew I wanted to move back into graphite after testing out the Project X.

I definitely appreciated being able to trim to the exact specs I wanted, in both length and flex. I ultimately went with stock Mizuno length, but tip trimmed to S+ flex.

Ball flight feels penetrating and I’d say it looks more like a mid-height when comparing them to the two aforementioned shafts.

I definitely think they load well during the swing and have just the right amount of “kick” during the follow through. I’d say it feels smooth, but powerful.

And of course the looks. I really like visual tech, and the iSeries Tour has it in spades. With the Ti mesh at the tip, and clear coat overtop of carbon fibre, it satisfies my eye test.

Ultimately, I would make the same decision again.
Higher torque being stiffer or looser if that makes sense? I guess right now in the Recoil 95s F4 I feel like I lose a little bit of control of the clubhead and it gets a little loose. Not sure how much is flex/profile compared to shaft weight. I haven't quite felt that when I've tested the 100's or 110's. Do you feel I'd be on the right track there?

And I agree, I think the graphics and visual tech looks sharp, and think I'll spend the few extra bucks to get custom colors. I've got some copper Forged Tecs that can look real sharp with a matte black shaft.

Higher torque being stiffer or looser if that makes sense? I guess right now in the Recoil 95s F4 I feel like I lose a little bit of control of the clubhead and it gets a little loose. Not sure how much is flex/profile compared to shaft weight. I haven't quite felt that when I've tested the 100's or 110's. Do you feel I'd be on the right track there?

And I agree, I think the graphics and visual tech looks sharp, and think I'll spend the few extra bucks to get custom colors. I've got some copper Forged Tecs that can look real sharp with a matte black shaft.
I think we’re talking the exact same feeling. And interestingly, that’s the same spec I had in the Recoil - 95 F4 in my numbered irons.

I felt like it was more of a torque than weight issue, since I also have the Recoil 110 F4 in my 52° wedge. The weight of that shaft feels nice in a higher lofted club, but I also think that’s why torque wasn’t such an issue there. I feel like there is less twisting of the club face with the higher loft.

Custom colours would be phenomenal!

I think we’re talking the exact same feeling. And interestingly, that’s the same spec I had in the Recoil - 95 F4 in my numbered irons.

I felt like it was more of a torque than weight issue, since I also have the Recoil 110 F4 in my 52° wedge. The weight of that shaft feels nice in a higher lofted club, but I also think that’s why torque wasn’t such an issue there. I feel like there is less twisting of the club face with the higher loft.

Custom colours would be phenomenal!

I think you may have just pushed me over the edge to pull the trigger!

Now I just need to decide if I go with the 100s or put the 110 in say the PW and maybe the 8 and 9... Probably need to schedule a time formally with my fitter and get his eyes on the numbers and ball flight.

Back