Irons: What is most important to you?

I don’t think I can pin it on one thing. Looks and feel are pretty high on the list followed by easy of use.

Feel... for me everything else falls in line it it feels great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I know I need forgiveness to some degree but I have to like the looks. Wait.... this sounds like I’m talking about my wife.

Not sure there is only 1 factor. But if I had to say 1 its feel. Even up with that though would be Launch/Spin/Descent angle. Distance and forgiveness are secondary.
Tevenor, couldn't have said it better. Feel, Launch/Spin/Descent angle, forgiveness and lastly looks.

Feel is number 1, followed by performance then forgiveness..

I know I need forgiveness to some degree but I have to like the looks. Wait.... this sounds like I’m talking about my wife.
In your case.... I'll take feel over looks because you rarely get any forgiveness.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looks is important, but #1 is feel.

I’d say #1 is they got to look real good. Once bought a set of irons based on reviews and they did perform but were butt ugly. As soon as they underperformed, they easily lost their lustre and away they went.

Forging

Consistently hitting quality shots. If I'm consistent with it then I'm going to be gaming them for a long time.

Consistent distance. Loved my Apex distance but couldn't stand the fliers. i200 seems to be half club short (power spec) but is much more playable for my game. Will be changing later this year and doing a full fitting for irons and wedges so this mindset could change with proper fitting.

Start with forgiveness, beginning with low on the face. Ease of launch. Then dispersion and descent angle. Those are all important

Performance..
If I'm not confident in the club it will not last in the bag!!

They can't have a bunch of offset or they're not getting a chance. If I can look down at them and enjoy the look then that's number 1.

Feel and consistency. If I can get both in a sexy package, even better!

I think most irons are pretty equal nowadays within their respected categories, say blades or game improvement. So what I look for is a GI iron that looks good to my eye, isn't too strong lofted per club, and I really dislike too much offset. With that being said, I make my own clubs from components at 2 degrees flat and following the specs I described above. This way I can put all the components I like into the iron and not have to take what the manufacturer puts in the stores.

Forgiveness first.. looks and performance next.

Feel. I don’t care what brand they are, blade or cavity back, if they feel good and I’ll also say look good at address then that’s my final determining factor.

Feel. For me, irons are all about hitting the ball to a certain distance and if irons dont give me that feel and feedback to tell me when Im doing it right and when Im not; they are a no-go for me.

There is no 1 thing for me. They have to look good to my eye. They have to have a nice feel. They have to work well for my me. Etc. Etc.

Back