Is a 60-yard ace a real hole-in-one?

Shoot I have a short and silly local nine hole course that I’m scared to play straight up for handicap purposes. My plan is to play some sort of wonky self-scramble there and I’d count a hole in one if I had it on my second tee shot of the 90 yard par 3. It’s golf and golf is fun. Count it!!!!

I made a shot like that back in the day on a par 3 course. In my mind, I don't count it. But, to each his own, I just don't think it counts as a real hole-in-one.

Was it mini-golf? No.
Did the ball go in on one shot? Yes
That's a hole-in-one.

Does a hole in one at Bandon Preserve #13 not count, because you can make one using a putter? Does a hole-in-one on Sheep Ranch #16 not count because you can make one using a putter? Of course they both count!

Im SHOCKED at the number of people that are on the side of counting it.

I cant imagine that any professional in the world would put a 60yd pitch shot into their HIO count.

If I dunk on a 9ft basket, can I tell people that I can dunk? I had to jump. I had to get the ball in the basket. I had to run and jump at the correct time and place.

If I pitch a perfect game against 7 yr olds, does that count?

If I hit a home run in a little league field off a tee, does that count?

(Obviously dumb comparisons, but thats my point)

Hole in Ones are special because they are so elusive. Some of the best players in the world may only have 1 or 2 in their lifetime. Why would we cheapen that experience?

I see plenty of people comparing it to eagles or other tough shots on regulation courses. We dont keep life long tallies of eagles or birdies or chip-ins. WE ALL keep lifelong tallies of holes in one.

A hole in one is supposed to be something special. Dont cheapen it with an asterisk.

#unpopularopinion

I suppose it counts as a hole in one. But sitting around with buddies having a drink or two talking about hole in ones and who has one, I guess I would feel a bit embarrassed if mine were only 60 yards. I have never seen a 60-yard par 3 in my life. I have seen 105 yards, but nothing under 100, let alone 60 yards. Although I guess it is a hole-in-one.

I cant imagine that any professional in the world would put a 60yd pitch shot into their HIO count.

If I dunk on a 9ft basket, can I tell people that I can dunk? I had to jump. I had to get the ball in the basket. I had to run and jump at the correct time and place.

Hole in Ones are special because they are so elusive. Some of the best players in the world may only have 1 or 2 in their lifetime. Why would we cheapen that experience?

I see plenty of people comparing it to eagles or other tough shots on regulation courses. We dont keep life long tallies of eagles or birdies or chip-ins. WE ALL keep lifelong tallies of holes in one.

A hole in one is supposed to be something special. Dont cheapen it with an asterisk.

#unpopularopinion

So what yardage counts as a hole-in-one?

Damn Skippy! One of my 6 was on an executive course. Grant it, it wasn't 60 yards. But it still went in on the 1st swing :p

So what yardage counts as a hole-in-one?

on a regulation course. Doesn’t matter if it’s the local muni or Augusta National. It’s a full 18 hole par 70-73 “non-executive” “non-pitch and putt” “non-par 3” “non-mini golf” course. Really isn’t difficult to find the dividing line.

#unpopularopinion

You know, I'm getting pretty tired of all the "asterisk" talk. Not just here, but all over! Oh! You have to put an asterisk by that! Like hell! You swing the club once, the ball goes in the hole! What else can you call it? You may wish to put qualifiers on it, although I don't understand why. And as far as elusiveness goes, I don't care if you play nothing but par 3 courses, holes in one are very few and far between! Heck, they are celebrated at the Masters par 3 tourney every year.

The closest I ever got to a HIO was on a regulation course, but the hole was "only" 130 yards. Easily encountered on most par 3 courses. Would it not have counted if it went in?

Years back there was some discussion about "prickly" versus "gooey" people. I suspect that the asterisk folks are prickly people.

#unpopularopinion

Once you tee off on 1 you can only play the holes the course offers. It's what the designer put out there to test golfers.

Would you be ashamed if your tee shot caromed off a sprinkler head and into the hole? Would you not count it because it was a "lucky bounce?" Would you count it if your tee shot caromed off the flagstick and took an "unlucky bounce?"

I wouldn't criticize anyone who would not count it for him/herself. Nor would I criticize the person who claimed it.

Why not?!?!

Sounds like a HIO to me. Congrats.

on a regulation course. Doesn’t matter if it’s the local muni or Augusta National. It’s a full 18 hole par 70-73 “non-executive” “non-pitch and putt” “non-par 3” “non-mini golf” course. Really isn’t difficult to find the dividing line.

An executive course is typically just a 9-hole course. As long as long as it has a course rating, it's every bit as valid as an 18-hole championship course.

The National Hole-in-One Registry has this to say about this topic.

The Rules of Golf do not address the issue of the validity of a hole in one. The USGA recommends that a hole in one be considered valid:
  • If made during a round of at least nine holes, except that a hole in one made during a match should be acceptable even if the match ends before the stipulated round is completed
  • If the player is playing one ball; a hole in one made in a practice round in which the player is playing two or more balls should not be acceptable
  • If attested by an acceptable witness
  • If made at a hole with a temporary tee and/or putting green in use, even if the Committee did not specifically define the teeing ground with tee-markers; the length of the hole at the time should be stated on any certificate
  • If made in a “scramble” competition, for example, a Captain’s Choice

Count that and buy the drinks.

So what if a hole of the exact same length as the OP's was on a "full 18-hole course"? Would that "pitch shot" still be invalid?

It's a hole in one.

Apparently you will need to include the USGA among those who are on the side of counting it. See post #65.

Apparently you will need to include the USGA among those who are on the side of counting it. See post #65.

To be fair, the National Hole in One Registry is not the USGA.

But if the course has a rating and he completed all 9 holes, the USGA would count it.

To be fair, the National Hole in One Registry is not the USGA.

But if the course has a rating and he completed all 9 holes, the USGA would count it.
Please read the post again. The National Hole-in-One Registry is reporting on what the USGA said about it.

OK ao just on math alone, 1 stroke and in the hole, it's a hole in one. I don't care if it's a 150 yarf par 3, a 38 yard pitch and put, or a putt through the Cannon at the Pirates Cove mini golf in Lake George. One stroke and in, it's a HIO

CONGRATULATIONS
on the Ace!
60 or 150 yards not easy to do.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I'm on the fence on this one. Part of me says yes. When I was a kid I used to go to a driving range that had a 9 hole pitch and putt course. A couple of the holes were 30 yards and some up to 70 or so. I never got a HIO there but if I did I don't think I would have counted it. I guess my feeling is if it has a course and slope rating and or is a member of the state golf association or USGA than count it.

Actually its up to you if you want to count it and feel good about it.

Back