Is flop wall practice good or bad for shortgame

Ded7474

Reaction score
I was watching the Taylor made flop wall challenge and these guys made it look easy but is that good for your short game or club control? This is how they did there flop wall if you want to see
. https://shrinke.me/HgOLHoN6

if you're not a flop shotter, it seems less than safe

I think it's a cool shot to have but it is a high risk shot that doesn't have a lot of practical uses for us mortals out on the course. Now if I have a perfect uphill fluffy lie I will pull it out of needed. Other then that it stays in the bag.

I think its a fun thing to have trying to hit over if practicing the shot. Growing up there was a birdhouse at the corner of the practice green that we used as our mark. Was great doing that back in the day.

I think I have hit one true flop shot in 12 rounds so far this year. Given that I don't spend a lot of time practicing them.

I don't think you need to hit a flop shot that high in practice 99+% of the time. I hit 2 flops on Sunday, both came off reasonably well but they only flew maybe 10 feet up and only flew 5-10 yards. And that's way more than I usually hit - on average I hit an actual flop about once or twice ever 5 rounds. The spots I managed to put myself in on Sunday made it necessary though...o_O

What I'm getting at is, a flop you'd have to hit high enough to clear a wall happens so infrequently that it's not worth spending practice time on. If you practice flops at all, practice short open face chips - much more practical, IMO.

It would be fun to dork around with a couple times.

I haven't hit a flop shot all year, in about 10 rounds, so will practice shots I'll need on the course.

I think it's a cool shot to have but it is a high risk shot that doesn't have a lot of practical uses for us mortals out on the course. Now if I have a perfect uphill fluffy lie I will pull it out of needed. Other then that it stays in the bag.
I would never try it on a fluffy uphill lie, good chance I am just sliding under it. I do use it quite a bit on tight lies to a short sided pin or out of a bunker to a short pin.

The best flop wall is the face of the bunker. If you can get it over that then that is all you need.

Couldn't open the link. My security setting said "no".

Anyway, I hit flops when ever possible. I like the shot. Just a good shot to have in my bag.

We have 10'-12' foot tree in our short game area that I practice flopping balls over.

That video saved my match in the Thursday night league when I yanked my tee shot about 20 yards left on a par 3. Got up and over the low trees along the creek between myself and an elevated short sided pin.

The tip to lower yourself into the stance was a game changer for how I approach that shot.

Good for club control? Sure. Anything that takes precision and practice probably is in whatever way. I'm with @Chef23 on practice being better spent elsewhere. I think flop shots are the most overused thing in amateur golf. I've played over 85 rounds this year. I can recall 1 flop shot being truly necessary.

They look great when it's pulled off, but I'm not going to practice a great deal hoping I run into a situation where it's needed Easy chance I skull it over the green and put myself in a worse situation.

Good for club control? Sure. Anything that takes precision and practice probably is in whatever way. I'm with @Chef23 on practice being better spent elsewhere. I think flop shots are the most overused thing in amateur golf. I've played over 85 rounds this year. I can recall 1 flop shot being truly necessary.

The only one I hit was when I short sided myself with a trap in between me and a close cut pin. It was a totally casual round and if it was medal play I probably wouldn't have done that I would have played something safer.

I hit 2 flop shots in 9 holes once and they landed where I wanted. When you're chunking or skulling every single chip, why not?

Not a chance I'm clicking on that link. Brand new user, first post and suspicious looking URL, no thanks.

The flop shot is a high risk shot that isn't needed very often. Fun to practice around the practice green, but I don't use it on the course unless I have no other sensible choice.

Thanks for the YouTube link, @Chef23. Pretty telling in that video that 33% out of a group of the best golfers in the world couldn't pull it off the first time around, and several of them missed on successive tries. What does that say about the chances for a weekend recreational golfer?

I was disappointed that Phil wasn't in that group to put on a clinic, though. :LOL:

Thanks for the YouTube link, @Chef23. Pretty telling in that video that 33% out of a group of the best golfers in the world couldn't pull it off the first time around, and several of them missed on successive tries. What does that say about the chances for a weekend recreational golfer?

I was disappointed that Phil wasn't in that group to put on a clinic, though. :LOL:

I also think it demonstrates why us average hacks shouldn't spend time practicing it.

Having a great flop game comes in handy from time to time. But for sure not the high percentage play. But when pulled off it is like a long drive in the fairway. Just so cool to see.

Here is the youtube link:

fun watch.

I had a situation last round that I was in a position that my only option was to put it up really high for it to have any chance at stopping. the ball was sitting way up on some rouge grass growth. I actually pulled it off. I almost always opt for a tow down PW pitch and roll. but it's nice to play with these sort of shots for when you absolutely have to take one on. Now if I had to play it on a tight lie.....:eek:

I also think it demonstrates why us average hacks shouldn't spend time practicing it.
It's tons of fun to play around with and it's a good shot to have in your bag when you really, really need it, but I agree that it's not something average hacks should spend much time on. Chances are pretty good that you're going to hurt your score a lot more than help it, and most of the time there's a safer alternative.

It's the one shot I can do with some success. High and soft landings come in handy behind a bunker.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

The reason many young golfers develop awesome short games, aside from having no fear, is that they experiment hitting all kinds of shots. I think that is a very good way to develop a solid short game - learn flops, bump and runs, hop-and-stops, hook and cut-spin chips, etc. That kind of experimentation also helps throughout the bag IMO.

Back