Is it okay to hit two balls when playing as a single on a crowded course

Is it okay to play two balls when playing as a single on a busy course

• Yes

Votes: 53 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 32 37.6%

• Total voters
If three people no-show, that's different but I still think the single needs to understand, they have no right of way and need to get out of the way of the foursome behind them. One ball.

Yeah it's probably rare, maybe a single paired with a twosome and they bail after 9 etc...At a public course this probably wouldn't happen often but if it does i guess you just need to work it out

At private clubs it's likely a lot more common because the starters aren't going to tell members they can't go out or have to wait for someone. But also, at private clubs members will be able to figure out the situation much easier because people mostly know each other.

If three people no-show, that's different but I still think the single needs to understand, they have no right of way and need to get out of the way of the foursome behind them. One ball.

Absolutely

The starter should be doing their job and finding a group to put you with, even if they have to try to move people up. If its all foursomes all day and one solitary tee time with a single, play two balls, but that isn't going to kill enough time. Besides, the course will probably be backed up to the point that the foursome behind you will be caught up wondering why a they're having to wait on a single playing two balls all day.

Yeah I see no issue with it. I've seen it and done it. As long as you keep up with the group in front of you you're having no impact on the time of the round.

I don't think very many golf courses approve of playing 2 ball golf at anytime on their courses.

Sure, I've done it a few times myself on a few holes from time, to time, but I was pretty much by myself on the course when I did hit.

Definitely not cool to play 2 balls when the course is busy.

Our courses, allows it based on the time of day and if there are any crowds. If you are a single, playing by yourself, and its really slow, its allowed, just be maindful of someone coming up behind you. PIckup and or let them pass.

I voted no. I think it's OK to take multiple putts, chips, etc. if you're waiting for the next tee box and that's obvious, but hitting 2 balls all over the place is going to slow you down, regardless of the groups in front of you. I have no idea why a single would be going off in the middle of a busy day, but I actually had that happen to me a few weeks ago on a Saturday. Just a random single playing multiple balls and driving back and forth across the fairway because he was NOT consistent. So I suppose there's a little recency bias at play here too.

That article is a joke! The argument goes 100% against simple common sense. No one would know if you hit two or 3 balls as a single. The group behind would (should) never catch up with you to see and the group in front doesn't care.

Hit away!

If you aren't holding anyone up - Go for it.

I have had situations where I booked a single spot and the 3-some didn't show. It is unfortunate, but hitting a few balls is a good way to make the best of it.

if there's no one behind you, then yes. totally cool.

if there's someone behind you, i say absolutely not. even if you can't go anywhere because the next group is on the box, that doesn't mean you can hold up the group behind you.

While the course wasn't packed I ran into this yesterday. There were 6 groups (4somes and 3somes) ahead of me as a single and 4 3somes behind me. I never lost the group in front of me and never saw the groups behind me. The group in front of me asked me if I wanted to play though and I told them there is nowhere to go. If I was going to just creep up on every single group that would not be enjoyable to me. I walked up to the course and asked if there was a time available and they didn't want to pair me up with anyone. 🤷‍♂️

Back to the point of the thread. I hit some extra shots but didn't do it every hole. Like I said I never saw the groups behind me so it didn't really matter. Finished in 3:30 which is painful as a single but still pretty good with nowhere to go.

i'm with the crowd on this one.....if you're not holding anyone up, then hit as many balls as you want. no clue why anyone would care otherwise.

I think you can hit as many as you want as long as you clean up after yourself, and you don't hold anyone up.

Big yes, on the condition that the person doing so is not slowing things down AND the group behind them is aware of this.

Ooooh very good question.
I would do it 100 yds and in, not from the tee. I want that 2nd ball to be easily grabbable. Usually for comparison/ what could have been scenarios.

Play 2 balls tee to green? I would not.

I do it all the time on an empty course, but not if there is a group waiting behind me. I go nuts when someone does that while I'm waiting for them to move. Also, practice putts after they've putted out. o_O

I said no, because a crowded course should not have sent a single out by his/her self. :p

If there’s no one behind you, I don’t see an issue, but if there is a group behind you, I don’t see how it’s ok.

I do it all the time but I hate making divots in the fairway so I'll never hit more than one shot from the fairway. If I want to hit a second or third shot I usually give myself a decent lie in the rough.

I think it is fine. I totally disagree with the article.
If you are keeping up with the group in front of you, how are you impacting pace of play. Of course there is the option to join the group in front or behind you, but if everyone is fine playing in their respective groups there is no harm done.
In regards to the other points made in the article. They may apply to a private club or if you are planning on posting your score for your handicap, but if you are going to take it as a casual/practice round, I see no issue with it.

I hit way more than 2 often times in the situation. Either, I don't want to be a prick constantly pushing the group ahead of me, or I am out there when not many others have the course to myself basically.

I don't think very many golf courses approve of playing 2 ball golf at anytime on their courses.

Sure, I've done it a few times myself on a few holes from time, to time, but I was pretty much by myself on the course when I did hit.

Definitely not cool to play 2 balls when the course is busy.

Pretty much every single course in AZ openly tells you to play 2-3 balls if you are out as a single.

I look at it as an opportunity to practice.
I mainly hit approaches and putts from weird spots. But pnly if it doesn't affect the group following me, if there is one
I'd say unless the foward group waves you up or the group behind is pressing you, by all means, play two.
As a single I ( or you ) have no expectation to play through.
Technically not supposed to post solo rounds anyway.

Back