Is this a good idea / deal for putting analysis, etc?

chicogolf

This game's fun GDit
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, after being given a bunch of drills by my local swing coach, I've realized a couple of things

(1) the swing coach is great with the full swing and chipping / pitching, but he and I are not clicking with the putting. I think it's the weak part of his own game. From what I'm reading here, I think I need to consult somebody else for putting.

(2) I'm a much worse putter than I thought.

That being said, there is a SAM lab facility nearby. $125 gets you 1hr with a pro and the technology. It's not technically a fitting, but they'll end up giving you putter recommendations anyway. The straight fitting without any significant swing help is $60.

Worth it? Any other ideas on how to proceed toward 'rebuilding' my putting stroke?

thanks

matt

Putting is the most subjective part of the golf swing, IMO. There are a number of different methods that one can use. I always taught that the MAIN part about putting was getting your eyes over the ball. More specifically, get it over your dominant eye. For example, my left eye is my dominant eye, so when I line up over a ball, that's where I try to place my ball. This is, as much as one can, allow you to see the ball from a direct line. If you allow yourself to have the ball to much away from this direct position, it makes you skew your line and stoke.

I think most pro's teach this method, as did I.

putting1.jpg

As for the stroke of the putter.

I learned two different methods of putting, and "Equal Back and Through" stroke and the "Short back and to the target" method. I've used both to varying times of my game. I tend to use the Equal back method more, except for on short putts. Most people will be comfortable with the Equal back, but to each there own.
For those that don't know the short back and to the target method. The drill they taught my was to put the putter against the ball and push it to the hole. Obviously, you can't do that as you're not taking a stroke...but that's the drill. So when you actually hit a putt, you take the putter back a very small ways, then make the same stroke to the hole. Small back stroke, straight down the line you choose to the hole...almost like pushing ball, expect your don't. I've found this works very well for short putts.

Last edited:
I am a big believer in the SPi method. Ball just forward of center, eyes inside the ball. Consistent posture. Rock the shoulders.

I went through an SPi lesson and have not regretted it once. That's what I always recommend. For whatever it's worth.

If you are really looking for a system that will help you putt better than this is where I would look first: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?41736-SeeMore-SPi-Experience

You do not need to have a SeeMore putter for this method to work but I do think it helps. There is likely a certified SPi instructor in your area and that would be a terrific place to start.

+1 with Howzat - SPi Cyber Coach - well worth your time and money. We are here to help. Let us know if you have any questions.

Hey guys....sorry I've been AWOL. Kid craziness and subconsciously avoiding golf topics due to bum shoulder.

Great info and posts here. I noticed that Agent Jay described what I've typically heard as putting strategy, whereas the SPi method seems to be different. I will read through those SPi links.

That being said, can somebody help me with some search strings that compare the SPi method to others? I'm striking out on google.

thanks!

bring up this thread. I looked into the SPi coach near me...$60 for 1/2hr. Holy sh!t. They're also not being cool about answering my questions. I wanted a price for if I bought a putter an another price for if I want to take the specs with me. My plan was to do a live intro / putter fitting, then do the cyber coach.

Is $120 normal for this? It's not like it's a big urban area. Heck, I have 2 masters degrees and professional licensees and I charge $90. That's just bitching though, as I know the market determines...

Back