It's finally clicked! Stick with it beginners and high handicappers...

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This is my 3rd season golfing. I've been dealing like most new golfers with just an insane over the top slice. I'm lucky if I break a 100. I had 6-8 lessons when I very first started playing and got some good fundamentals out of those lessons. I could never figure out how to generate power though. I'm 5'11" decent physicality and good hand eye coordination and people my size can drive about 250 easy. Well I could only ever drive about 180 yards. My 7 iron was at best 120 yards.

Then about 4 months ago I started seeing a new instructor who used alot more tech, showed me alot of video and I thought I was on the right track. Went to him quite a few times. My power had gone up about 20 yards to where my 7 iron was playing around 140 yards, drive up to 200 yards, but still had a severe over the top swing, and really wanted enough power to at least play blue tees with my buddies. Conceptually, I understood the concepts of the swing. I've read Ben Hogans book and I could see what I was doing wrong in video, but no matter how much time I put into the range, at the simulator (x golf), on my home net, I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I was at the point where I was just starting to play my slice. Aim left and it'll come back but obviously that creates a sea of other issues including distance lost and just inconsistencies with topped and fat shots all over.

Well...I decided to give instruction one more try, so I had a lesson about 3 weeks ago. I'm a member at x-golf so I figured let me try the PGA guy there. I had one lesson and it's like all the knowledge I had from previous lessons just finally freaking clicked. He had me modify my grip EVER so slightly, but let me keep my baseball grip. He had me narrow my stance just a slight bit, but then he had me focus on two things in particular, 1) Keep your head up...I was basically lifting my head during the backswing to get out of the way which was lifting my body and really focus on bending the left knee in rather than pushing it out towards your toes, it helped rotate my hips in and load the right leg. I've been working on those fundamentals and have seen my slice virtually eliminate over night, my power didn't increase really. 7 iron was at about 140 yards still, but he swore I had enough strength and coordination to get that higher. Well 3 nights ago on the simulator it really came together. I just started twisting into my hip and right leg a bit more and actually relaxed my hands to create more of a release and BAM! 170 yard 7 irons with dispersion tighter then I've ever seen, PW at 130 yards and driver at 250 yards w/ a slight fade-push.

I'm only telling folks this story to say there might actually be a light at the end of the tunnel. I was ready to give up cause golf was unplayable and it's like I have a whole new breath of life. It took one random lesson to tie everything together and it was rather random on the timing. We'll see how it actually translates to the course, but I've NEVER been able to find such a comfortable swing, so for all the times it's said on here. INSTRUCTION IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN SPEND MONEY ON IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING. I have great clubs, I've had fittings, I have all sorts of training gadgets, but it's taken me 3 instructors and roughly 15 lessons to get to a swing that makes sense to me, but it's a beautiful thing when it happens. Even on my shanks and misses I know what fundementals to go back to now. It's like I finally have something repeatable to practice that is finally mindless. Here's to breaking 90...soon...I HOPE!

Good to hear some lessons worked out for you. Golf will become a bit more fun.

Great news!

Great to hear about your breakthrough - sometimes you get that piece of advice that just clicks with you and pulls things together!

Nah, it doesn't work like that, but good tale anyway. :p

Outstanding. Instructor found the right way to communicate the feels. Take advantage and rack up the birdies:)

This is my 3rd season golfing. I've been dealing like most new golfers with just an insane over the top slice. I'm lucky if I break a 100. I had 6-8 lessons when I very first started playing and got some good fundamentals out of those lessons. I could never figure out how to generate power though. I'm 5'11" decent physicality and good hand eye coordination and people my size can drive about 250 easy. Well I could only ever drive about 180 yards. My 7 iron was at best 120 yards.

Then about 4 months ago I started seeing a new instructor who used alot more tech, showed me alot of video and I thought I was on the right track. Went to him quite a few times. My power had gone up about 20 yards to where my 7 iron was playing around 140 yards, drive up to 200 yards, but still had a severe over the top swing, and really wanted enough power to at least play blue tees with my buddies. Conceptually, I understood the concepts of the swing. I've read Ben Hogans book and I could see what I was doing wrong in video, but no matter how much time I put into the range, at the simulator (x golf), on my home net, I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I was at the point where I was just starting to play my slice. Aim left and it'll come back but obviously that creates a sea of other issues including distance lost and just inconsistencies with topped and fat shots all over.

Well...I decided to give instruction one more try, so I had a lesson about 3 weeks ago. I'm a member at x-golf so I figured let me try the PGA guy there. I had one lesson and it's like all the knowledge I had from previous lessons just finally freaking clicked. He had me modify my grip EVER so slightly, but let me keep my baseball grip. He had me narrow my stance just a slight bit, but then he had me focus on two things in particular, 1) Keep your head up...I was basically lifting my head during the backswing to get out of the way which was lifting my body and really focus on bending the left knee in rather than pushing it out towards your toes, it helped rotate my hips in and load the right leg. I've been working on those fundamentals and have seen my slice virtually eliminate over night, my power didn't increase really. 7 iron was at about 140 yards still, but he swore I had enough strength and coordination to get that higher. Well 3 nights ago on the simulator it really came together. I just started twisting into my hip and right leg a bit more and actually relaxed my hands to create more of a release and BAM! 170 yard 7 irons with dispersion tighter then I've ever seen, PW at 130 yards and driver at 250 yards w/ a slight fade-push.

I'm only telling folks this story to say there might actually be a light at the end of the tunnel. I was ready to give up cause golf was unplayable and it's like I have a whole new breath of life. It took one random lesson to tie everything together and it was rather random on the timing. We'll see how it actually translates to the course, but I've NEVER been able to find such a comfortable swing, so for all the times it's said on here. INSTRUCTION IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN SPEND MONEY ON IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING. I have great clubs, I've had fittings, I have all sorts of training gadgets, but it's taken me 3 instructors and roughly 15 lessons to get to a swing that makes sense to me, but it's a beautiful thing when it happens. Even on my shanks and misses I know what fundementals to go back to now. It's like I finally have something repeatable to practice that is finally mindless. Here's to breaking 90...soon...I HOPE!

Awesome! I'm having a similar break through with my game. It's really fun to see yourself finally improve isn't it! Nice job sticking with it and earning this breakthrough.

Way to go!!

Congrats!

That’s awesome! Congrats on the breakthrough!

that is a great report. This year has started off inconsistent still looking for that breakthrough moment this season as I feel lost every once in awhile.

Glad to hear the great news,happy for you.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Persistence pays off! Glad to hear it all came together for you. Hope you can get everything to translate on the course!

I wonder how many players use the baseball grip... Can't be too many!

Persistence pays off! Glad to hear it all came together for you. Hope you can get everything to translate on the course!

I wonder how many players use the baseball grip... Can't be too many!
It's not a whole lot, but I was practicing EVERY day and I had constant hand pain with interlocking and overlapping. I switched to baseball and have absolutely no hand pain anymore no matter how much I practice, so I was worried my instructor would be like nah you gotta overlap or interlock, but he didn't. He was like "nothing wrong with that grip style", just adjusted my strength of it and repositioned my thumbs a bit.

Congratulations, now you can enjoy the game of golf.

It's not a whole lot, but I was practicing EVERY day and I had constant hand pain with interlocking and overlapping. I switched to baseball and have absolutely no hand pain anymore no matter how much I practice, so I was worried my instructor would be like nah you gotta overlap or interlock, but he didn't. He was like "nothing wrong with that grip style", just adjusted my strength of it and repositioned my thumbs a bit.
That's what I was always told - play what's comfortable so long as the technique is there and the results match!

Well it translated. I played a shorter course today a par 68, but I shot a 90 with 6 penalties. Obviously the 6 penalties are horrendous but the fact I rarely break 100 and shot a 90 with 6 penalties is honestly pretty exciting for me. Having a bit of power changes everything...

Baby steps but it sounds like you are on the right path. Confidence can be a wonderful thing. Speaking from experience, there will be some days where things just don't go right. Try not to be too discouraged and fall back into old habits. Stick with the things you have learned from your lessons and lower scores will become more consistent.

Yea it's like I get to focus on all these things real players get to. I mean I've never got the opportunity to think about adjusting for ball above the feet, below the feet, downhill, uphill. Hopefully I'll get to start thinking about those fun things now.

I got stuff to figure out still no doubt. I'm still very beginner, but having some confidence and something repeatable is so much better. My yardages were all over though yesterday cause it's just not tuned enough, but it felt good to over shoot a green for a change then come up 30 yards short.

Last edited:
I'm glad your lesson clicked. I've heard it sometimes takes a couple of different instructors for lessons to translate. I hope you keep improving.

Nice to hear.

Back