JDM clubs. Have you tried them? Why or why not?

I got a set of used Muira blades years ago and they looked and felt great especially from the top. They had a bit more offset than your usual blade which I prefer the look of. Unfortunately I could never get over the fact they had someone else's name engraved on them and I sold them.

My local shop carries Yamaha irons and they are GORGEOUS.

I had muira irons and lived the feel and playability I just needed lighter shafts and a bet more foregivness wish I would have had them 10 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, JDM is all hype. I've hit many JDM irons over the years and played a couple hundred rounds with Miura blades once upon a time. Guys hung up on playing JDM clubs remind me of the guys I dealt with when selling Hi Fi gear that had to have $2,000 10 ft pairs of speaker wire. I was happy to sell it to them but I guarantee their ears weren't that good and the electrons didn't travel any differently over that copper.

Question for the Steel experts or just club experts, using MB clubs as an example since the are the simplest in design (so to speak).

If you have a Srixon Z965, a Bridgestone J15, Titleist MB (any high end OEM MB) all are forged from high quality Steel are they going to be that much, if any different from a ball striking point of view from a Miura forged MB? I use Miura only as they seem to be the top of the line and advertise as Sword grade steel. would a normal person ever know in a blind test?

Is it just the PXG kind of thing and more ego, "I can afford it so it is worth it" than anything else? I am genuinely curious as a lover of all things to do with golf clubs / shafts and how price relates to actual playability.
I am sitting here in the airport looking at golf stuff and found this old post.
Well I am ordering a set of EPON's next week and thought it was funny how things change in one's opinions over time.
Now I am buying the EPON because in a test of several different brands it was just by far the best for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

While I don't hit JDM clubs. I'm a huge fan of JDM shafts. Take something really special to get me to use a non JDM shaft.

During the test I was really all in on the Honma TW737 or EPIC pro irons but the EPON AF-705 was just better all around on all numbers and to a degree feel, which was just effortless power. Now they are pretty strong lofts but no more than my current Honma's or the 737 Honma's in the same category. The EPIC pros while not in the SGI class like the others was great but I am finding it more fun to play easier golf lately.

I've played Miura, Epon - wedges and irons - and Vega Wedges in the past.

I am playing Miura Wedges at the moment. Have played the irons nonsuccessively, since about '98, off an on.

Clubmakers like Miura because they are built to exact specs, making for a more efficient build. The sword-like samari steel comments and "Hands of God" about Miura are marketing.

I will say the Miura blades and MB's have a dense, solid feel. Not soft, but they feel like surgical instruments - very precise. The wedges - K Grind - have that dense, solid feel. I like 'em.

During the test I was really all in on the Honma TW737 or EPIC pro irons but the EPON AF-705 was just better all around on all numbers and to a degree feel, which was just effortless power. Now they are pretty strong lofts but no more than my current Honma's or the 737 Honma's in the same category. The EPIC pros while not in the SGI class like the others was great but I am finding it more fun to play easier golf lately.

Quick edit before boarding the plane, I will do a test on the course prior to ordering just to be sure what I saw off the mats translates to real grass before laying down the cash...

I had a chance to hit Homma irons used at Golf Galaxy. Not sure what model it was but it was CB style. Great feeling clubs, hit the clubs very well. Then I grabbed the 5 iron......the price was attached on the shaft. I was priced out.

i missed posting to this thread after i bought my wedges back in may. i have the same wedges @jim54 has, grindworks 86 series. the wedges have a little more offset than anything i've gamed in recent memory. i didn't want to believe the jdm hype about feel, but i'm telling you these feel amazing. almost mushy when you catch them in the sweet spot, and crazy spinny. love 'em!

I am ogling the EPON Tour Wedges, boy are they sleek looking and I plan to get the AF-705 in 5-SW to keep the full swing distance gapping so maybe just a 60 degree in the wedge. Going to have them all built on my Accra i90 and i100 shafts, so I will save a bit there on overall cost and already have the lengths and grips I like.

View attachment 28669

I've tried couple of Japanese product before. Not sure if they are Japan only product cause you see them everywhere. Since I leave in Korea town in LA. Many people over 60 plays high end Japanese clubs. Decorated in 18k gold. Start with Honma, Maruman, XXIO, PRGR and Fourteen. Miura I see them few but since the consider as hard to hit iron so not many play them.
I've tried OnOff, Honma irons and few other but it wasn't anything special. I still use fourteen wedges and they still works fine.
My friend who is very weak player just bought a XXIO driver and he loves the driver. He does hit that longer and higher than any driver he used before. Japanese club is lighter and hits high with lots a spin. If you fit that market I think it's worth a try. Few years I will be shopping some Japanese clubs. Few more years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me any clubs where the design and manufacturing are done in Japan is JDM.

I play the Srixon Z765's which are made and designed side by side with the XXIO clubs in the Miyazaki region of Japan. I absolutely love them and they were only $900. I own a couple Miura wedges but I prefer my Cleveland wedges, which are also JDM since I believe they are made in the same factory as my irons.

I am not really all enamored with the whole JDM thing and the fact is if the fitter I am now using sold clubs made in Brazil I would be considering them, but the numbers don't lie and I hit them all after a round so I was a loose as I am going to get and the EPON was just head and shoulders above the rest and that was with a Steel shaft a bit heavier than all the rest I tried which were Recoils in the Callaway and Nippon in the Honma.

Now I don't discount the fact he was giving me a swing lesson while I was hitting the EPON, Miura and some other JDM head so I was in better form for the most part hitting the JDM clubs.

Anyway I have to go in for Jury Duty in the morning so depending how all that works out I plan to hit the demo AF-705 (7 iron) on the Course Wed. or Friday. I am pretty confident with my distances with the Honma TW 727P now and the AF-705 is the exact same lofts and basically the same class of club head, which is a forged smaller head SGI club by their (the manufactures) thinking.

Japanese club is lighter and hits high with lots a spin. If you fit that market I think it's worth a try.

This is a very true statement. I've owned a beautiful set of Marumann irons and have hit XXIO and Miuras aimed for the Japanese market (i.e. JDM). As a general rule I found them all to be light (in graphite) and fairly high spinning. That works with some clubs, and others it does not. The XXIO hybrid is one of the worst I have hit recently and I never hit the drivers well. The long irons in my Marumanns were the best relative to spec I have ever owned.

Overall with JDM, it's like anything else -- go with what floats your boat. For me that is anything that I think will actually lower my score.

jdm titleist vg3's here, hit them against pxg, epon, honma, the numbers were best with titleist also have vg3 fairway and hybrids, they seem a little than the domestic models. oh and having forged vokeys in the bag always brings questions.

Hit the EPON AF-705 today during my round and I was not as thrilled with it off grass, the wide sole was bothersome to me. Might just be an adjustment thing, but for that price I want plug and play. Looking at Grindworks DP-2 now, smaller profile but still a dual cavity back with lots of help built in.

Back