Joining a golf club?

I wish he clubs in San Diego were that cheap lol. I asked on a thread here and it sounds like most clubs here are probably in the 50k-100k a year range.

WE kept our membership when our course went semi-private simply because my wife & I play too much to go by the day. Add in the fact 90% of our friends, as well as us, live on the course & both have our usual groups, it made sense to keep it.
$500/month ain't that bad for 2 courses and the fringe benefits of being a member at a club. It's only money, you'll make more tomorrow. You can either fly 1st class or your kids can, do it.

I didn't have a private membership from age 26 until I was 44. Family and work commitments didn't make the expense of a private membership make sense. Now a decade later it would tough for me to give up a private membership as I really love the faster pace of play and improved conditions of the course. The restaurant and social aspects of the club are not important and about once a year I don't even spend the monthly food minimum. I joined to be able to play fast golf at a quality track and because three of my longtime best friends are members. The value is there with 70+ rounds a year and my high school daughter playing another 30 rounds on my membership for free.

There are two 18 hole courses. Carts included. No dining minimums. Food has been up and down regarding quality. Drinks are cold. Some months will get less play than others. Definitely get in 4+ rounds a month. 5 Minutes from my house. Golf pro's instruction rate is reasonable too.

In my opinion, I think it is expensive - you would need to play 10 rounds a month to make it the equivalent of $50 per round and I know I wouldn't play that many rounds in a month so it wouldn't be worthwhile for me

If you can afford it, then give it a go, but I wouldn't pay that much personally

It's really more about the experience than the value. It's a whole other world from public courses. Good luck ~

I agree with this. It isn’t a straight financial decision. If you like the courses, practice facilities and it is convenient I would do it. I played far more when I was a member of a course due to the easy access to the course and a network of like minded golfers. I am not sure what a round of golf costs but if you play 6-8 full rounds a month and practice a few times during the week the math starts to make sense.

I was a member of a club for about 20 years and have been gone for about 8 due to being too busy with my kids to play much. Now my kids are in college and I am looking to join a club again.

I wish he clubs in San Diego were that cheap lol. I asked on a thread here and it sounds like most clubs here are probably in the 50k-100k a year range.

I have a friend considering a move to San Diego who has been looking and the club he is looking at is in the range of $20K initiation and $1100 a month. Not cheap but not $50K per year.

This is initiation of $2500 and $500 a month. I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. Lots of pluses especially living in the golf and resort community. Getting a quick 9 in after work is also possible once daylight savings time kicks in. Commute time is less than 5 minutes.

I just joined a local club this year - a 9 hole course, but it is the closest for me. I really like it that I can simply go when I want pretty much. If I want to play the most difficult holes, then I can. I walk and push a cart so that makes it nice. I only ride when playing with others really. I needed something that would allow me more time on the course to hone my skills.

So you did join the 9-hole that's near you? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts towards the end of summer on that decision. How much you ended up playing outside of it, specifically. Also how your view of the practice areas and range ball thing kind of evolves throughout. Hope it works out for you.

This is initiation of $2500 and $500 a month. I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. Lots of pluses especially living in the golf and resort community. Getting a quick 9 in after work is also possible once daylight savings time kicks in. Commute time is less than 5 minutes.

It is a pretty slim initiation. If you join and don’t like it there isn’t a ton of pain to leave. I would definitely do it.

So you did join the 9-hole that's near you? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts towards the end of summer on that decision. How much you ended up playing outside of it, specifically. Also how your view of the practice areas and range ball thing kind of evolves throughout. Hope it works out for you.
Yes, the course is about 15 minutes from me. Monthly fees are cheap enough at around 83.00. The only drawback was that I had to pay an initiation fee and buy a stock certificate which both totalled 500.00. I kept trying to get out of that but couldn't.

I do have access to the pool, grill, included in membership and the clubhouse at a reduced rate which I don't really need. This is a smalltime outfit and nothing like some of the area clubs - nothing fancy at all. It is a tough little course though. I live an rural county area and other courses are at least a half hour away or more.

The greens and bunkers are kept up nicely. The practice areas aren't all that great, but they do have a putting green and a range, but no bunker/chip practice area. I do short chip shots around the green, but it is very limited.

I already planned to keep playing some of the area courses to keep it mixed up as long as I am working and have the additional funds, so that will affect how much time I put in there. Once I retire I expect to play more there. I think the greatest value add for me this year will be stopping by there most any time I want and play. I know a guy that uses the course the same way. He will stop and play a variety of holes each evening until dark.

I probably will do a thread to track how it works out. That is a great idea to track the evolution.

I’m paying around $400 a month for a Junior family membership at Kingwood CC (ClubCorp outside of Houston). The plan includes carts and no food/bev minimums. I also can play at 8-9 other Houston courses for free, and at any ClubCorp property outside of Houston for a ~$20 cart fee. My son and I both play so it is well worth it. When DST is off we use their lighted range several days a week. During DST we play 9 holes most week days and get around 100 18 hole rounds worth a year.

I can’t ever see myself going back to public courses in this area. The halfway decent public courses are $60+ with a cart per person, more if you want range balls, and none are nicer than my clubs course. Only a handful of public courses are even close to being on par with our course conditions.

I'm not a member at my club yet but I plan to join as an associate member.

For Bermuda Dunes Country Club it's 622/month with a 600 F&B. The full Equity membership is 10,000 buy in and 1282/month.

If I still played a lot, say 70 or more rounds a year, I'd do it. Waaaay more enjoyable playing at a private club than at public courses.

I'm not a member at my club yet but I plan to join as an associate member.

For Bermuda Dunes Country Club it's 622/month with a 600 F&B. The full Equity membership is 10,000 buy in and 1282/month.
WOW - not for this tight on a budget country boy LOL

Exactly the right questions to ask. Advantages include being in a type of "Cheers" environment where everyone knows your name, easy to schedule lessons, find a game etc. If dining minimum is part of the deal, is the chef any good? ;)
I agree with you there were a part of a club in that and those are some of the same questionsWe had going in. Luckily several of my friends are at the same club so all worked out plenty of games easy scheduling, it’s a somewhat decent chef. But then again it wasn’tThose types of prices per month.

Considering what my dues were over 10 years ago ($450) at a challenging and well-maintained Pete Dye course, that sounds pretty reasonable as long as it is all inclusive. Where I belonged there was no food and beverage minimum but I did have to pay cart fees. Playing just on weekends for the most part my monthly bill was always approaching $800.

When I retired I couldn't continue that kind of monthly commitment financially. I've been fortunate to find more affordable public/daily fee courses. The one I belong to know offers an annual membership for a one time fee of about $2300 that includes unlimited golf weekdays, to include cart with GPS, golf on weekends and holidays for cart fee only, unlimited range balls seven days per week, half price draft beers, 40% discount on prepared food and pro shop discounts on "soft goods". We also have a 7-day advance window to book tee times, 2 days more than the general public, so getting our preferred tee time has never been an issue (there are only about 40 annual members many of whom play with each other).

Although my course is pretty well maintained it, in no way, can compare to a private course, especially one that has or continues to host professional events. The thing to really look into is can you or do you get back any of your initiation should you decide to leave. Most private course's terms for return of initiation are pretty tough, often with it tied to getting so many new members before an existing member can sell his. Sometimes it can take years, if ever, to get that money back.

I just got an anniversary special for 179.00 total for 3 years
I will be starting my second year of a deal like that this spring. It was $50 per year (plus tax and expenses) for a three year membership. Total costs were $189 for the three years. I also must rent a cart (just $15 for 18 holes) each time I play. It's just a playing membership. I can't join their leagues or play in their club championships, etc. It really came in handy this last summer when my regular course flooded a couple of times and was closed for about a month and a half. The first flood came at the beginning of the season and when the water wasn't going down in a couple of weeks I decided to not join for the year and just play the course with the three year deal and pay greens fees at 3-4 other courses. It was kind of nice playing different courses for a change. Right now I'm thinking of not joining my regular course again this year.

Does your opinion change based on distance? What is the optimal distance. Trying to think about getting rounds in using practice facilities, and not complaining about distances.

Also if you got half off dues do you will jump on the offer?

I will be starting my second year of a deal like that this spring. It was $50 per year (plus tax and expenses) for a three year membership. Total costs were $189 for the three years. I also must rent a cart (just $15 for 18 holes) each time I play. It's just a playing membership. I can't join their leagues or play in their club championships, etc. It really came in handy this last summer when my regular course flooded a couple of times and was closed for about a month and a half. The first flood came at the beginning of the season and when the water wasn't going down in a couple of weeks I decided to not join for the year and just play the course with the three year deal and pay greens fees at 3-4 other courses. It was kind of nice playing different courses for a change. Right now I'm thinking of not joining my regular course again this year.
No cart add on. can walk no add on if i want a cart its a up charge. can play leagues for a fee, but not excluded from anything. full members get discounts at pro shop and food where i will not

Does your opinion change based on distance? What is the optimal distance. Trying to think about getting rounds in using practice facilities, and not complaining about distances.

Also if you got half off dues do you will jump on the offer?
Distance is a factor for sure. Closest practice facilities are about 20 to 30 minutes away if I go outside my community.

If you got a "club stipend" would you join a higher priced club or stretch it to make the club choice even cheaper...

I get half off initiation fees by being a resident of the community. The monthly dues get a $50 discount.

If you are at a actual private course, you are going to be hard pressed to ever make it pencil out unless you play an insane amount. If you have a whole family who golfs very regularly, you might make it pencil out. You are paying for convenience and a consistent level of service and facilities. it’s almost impossible in my opinion that anyone joins for any type of economic reason. Start adding in meals, events, cocktails, additional fees, camps etc and I find it almost impossible to not double what my monthly dues are. But, at the end of the day you have to decide if it’s worth it.
I won’t go back to not being able to always get on if I want to, to have good spacing between tee times and groups, to have great conditions etc if I don’t have to. You just have to decide if it is financially responsible for you and if you get the value for it that you are paying for.

I belonged to a country club over 10 yrs ago. I enjoyed it. Business travel conflicted with use of the club facilities.

Thinking of joining a golf club again. It is convenient to home (in a master planned community where I live). So, access to practice areas is super convenient. Access to 36 holes. Hosts an LPGA tournament. Monthly dues are around $500. So, kinda steep. But, the convenience is really hard to beat. Both courses are well maintained. Have until the end of the month to take advantage of reduced initiation dues.
That is less than half the price of any club in my area! They also have a monthly food minimum and a very substantial initiation fee. With that said a round is played in less than 4 hours vs the public courses which take as much as 6 hours on the weekend. And the social aspects such as events and holiday parties. It all depends on how much you are going to use it. ?‍♂️

I belonged to a country club over 10 yrs ago. I enjoyed it. Business travel conflicted with use of the club facilities.

Thinking of joining a golf club again. It is convenient to home (in a master planned community where I live). So, access to practice areas is super convenient. Access to 36 holes. Hosts an LPGA tournament. Monthly dues are around $500. So, kinda steep. But, the convenience is really hard to beat. Both courses are well maintained. Have until the end of the month to take advantage of reduced initiation dues.

Talking about Old American and the Tribute?

If so, think that would be fun.

Old American had a tendency to flood. I don't know if they resolved the drainage issue. But I suspect with the LPGA Tourney, they've made improvements since I was there 5 years ago.

Tribute is interesting. I think there's enough diversity, if those are the two, to make it worthwhile.

Back