Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.4
I have never hit KBS shafts very well. Today, I went in to try the Cobra King CB irons at my local store and asked for an 85 to 100 gram graphite shaft for testing. They setup a 7 iron with the KBS PGI 85 S. It just worked, right from the first swing. The dispersion was crazy good, which surprised me because I hadn’t swung a golf club since early September, I don’t normally do as well with a shaft under 90 grams and the head was reportedly a skilled player’s profile (Cobra lists the profile player as Tour to 3 handicap). I just wasn’t expecting what I experienced.

I have now done quite a bit of online looking. I also watched THP’s review, done by @Canadan. I had seen it before, but it is a good watch.

So, here are my questions:

1. Who else had experience with this shaft and what are your thoughts?
2. The THP review and KBS’s own website lists these shafts as available in 10 gram increments, i.e., 60, 70, 80, 80 and 100. Nowhere do I see this available in 85 grams. Is this a shaft made special for Cobra? Is it new? What is the deal?

Weird. I just checked cobras site and see they list both TGI and PGI in 75, 85g etc…. I’ve never seen that either.

I have the 100g in my edison wedges and am very happy with them. Nice feeling shaft. Tough to say if they’ve been better or worse than other alternatives, but I have no desire to switch them out. Love the look.

Sorry, can’t help with the 2nd question.

I don't pay much attention to the details on the light stuff, just that it was PGI as the graphite option. I'm pretty certain I saw that 85g in the cart the other day here. Didn't think twice about it.

Sometimes a different in listed weights in the lighter stuff is the difference between tapered and parallel tip shafts in the model. Maybe that's it.

I don't pay much attention to the details on the light stuff, just that it was PGI as the graphite option. I'm pretty certain I saw that 85g in the cart the other day here. Didn't think twice about it.

Sometimes a different in listed weights in the lighter stuff is the difference between tapered and parallel tip shafts in the model. Maybe that's it.
I actually wondered if it might be exactly what you are suggesting, but KBS simply has never put up the other shafts on its website. All of the PGI shafts listed on the site are .370.

Last edited:
For those who haven’t tried the PGI shaft, you should. For some reason, I have never had my best, consistent numbers with KBS shafts, but this PGI shaft was pretty magical for me today. I could really feel the kick in the shaft right where I felt comfortable to come through the ball and release the club head. It felt easy and natural.

i tried it out at my CC fitting...i liked it but there was just something that didn't quite make me love it...that something was answered in the MMT90 but i really liked the look of the PGI/TGI

Just looked at my wife’s LTDx irons and the shafts she has are the kbs pgi 75r’s. For what it’s worth I tried her 8 iron on the sim and actually really liked the feel of the shaft. I would like to try the 85g version at some point

I have them in my LTDx's and have been really happy.
I had Recoils which were great. But these play more like my KBS shafts in my last steel iron shafts.
I haven't noticed the KBS PGI's to be more harsh on mishits I think both shafts do that pretty well.

I hit some hybrids today and the PGI did great for me. Hit Stealth 2, Ping 430, Callaway Paradym, and Cobra Aerojet. The combo of Aeroject and PGI did best for me. All they had was the 80 gram, but the 4 hybrid was going 215 to 220 for me.

Back