Kicked the 4 iron out of the bag

Brianbigoats

Reaction score
Handicap
After fighting to hit my 4i constantly over the course of the last few years i decide to boot it today i found a Adams LSP 23* which is 1* weaker than my RBladez tour 4i at the same length goes a few yards further. I decide to set aside my ego and help my game the one round i have played with it out of the bag i used it twice with good results. Has any one else come to a similar conclusion?

As far as I'm concerned they don't make irons below 28* loft. That's my 5i and I kicked anything below that to the curb a while ago.

I hear people suggest getting rid of their 3 and 4 irons, and with the quality of hybrids it probably makes sense, but I still love mine. Mostly because I can hit a low running hook off of the tees on short par 4's with my long irons and I can't seem to do that with hybrids. But from the fairways, I know the hybrid would be much easier to hit.

I still game a 4iron but am very close to kicking it out the bag and putting in another hybrid. Good on 'ya for making the move.

I'm one of the weird ones - I hit some of my best shots with my long irons and don't seem to hit hybrids all that well off the deck. The opposite seems to be true off a tee, though. I'm experimenting with some different clubs in that range to see what I can get comfortable with... but yesterday I hit two really pure 4i shots that were 210ish out and nestled inside of 15' on their respective greens. I can't see that one leaving my bag any time soon. I might end up gaming a 5w, 2h, and 3i.

I guess my point is that I don't really care what is manly or cool or supposed to be right for my handicap. I only care about what I feel comfortable with and have success with. It sounds like you're embracing that too, and IMO that is to be commended.

I have kicked the 3 iron out of the bag for a hybrid but I am still happy with the results of the 4 iron (most of the time). I remember when I used to be able to hit a 1 iron but that was when I was 20 and the balls spun so much more.

I only go up to a 5i now too, much neater look in the bag! :bananadance:

Benched mine a few years ago. Though thoughts of putting it back in and benching the hybrid do enter my mind quite often. Playing around with an old 7 wood to see if that will suffice as an alternative to both.

Haven't used a 4i since I started playing again. To be honest, I could probably do away with mg 5i.

Many people don't use longer irons and opt for hybrids instead. PGA pros included.

Always enjoyed my 4i - recently switched to the 4h & it's the right thing for me.

HOWEVER, the one shot I can't pull off with the hybrid is the low line drive punch out from under trees - used to play it behind the right foot & it wouldn't go more than 5 ft off the ground & roll out forever ... the 4i used to be great for that shot !!!!

I just started back playing a 4i with my latest set of clubs. I played a hybrid in the place of a 4i for several years.

I used to like hitting a 4 iron, but I see why many people prefer a hybrid. I am starting to have trouble with it.

I kicked out the 3 and 4 even though I still hit them fine, as I feel I can do more with the hybrids than I could with the irons. I play them like irons - center of the stance, hit down, take a divot - and putt with them from that ugly lie just off the fringe.

If I choke down on the 4h, it plays 10 yards longer than my 5i. If I play it full length, 20 yards further. The 3h has the same 20 yard gap from the 4h, which gives me real options off the tee. 3w is next and 30 yards longer than the 3h.

Yep, kicked the 5 iron out last year. There are times when I think about putting it back but the hybrids are so easy to hit.

I can hit my 4(which is a hybrid iron), so I shunned the 5w for an Adams SLS 3h (19 degrees) which I like a lot.

I'm doing the same. My 4i is actually the same loft as the 3i from my old set, which is harder to hit. So I'm going with a hybrid

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Replaced my 4i with a hybrid this season. Really hoping to see improved consistency by doing so!

I like the gap that my 4irons fills and really like it when I find myself under some trees and need a low line drive to get back in play. And from about 190 it is money on par 3s. Not sure the hybrid gives me as much versatility for my game.

I benched my 4 iron in October, and have been loving the results ever since. That being said, I might consider gaming a 4 iron in a more forgiving set - it would all depend oh how well I hit it compared to my outstanding X Hot 4 hybrid, which admittedly is a hell of a tough act to follow. I probably will never bench 5 iron though, although I am looking at getting a little more forgiveness in the 5 and 6 iron spots with a more GI iron for those off days.

I went this route more than a year ago and have loved the results. It wasn't that I didn't hit the 4i well, I just realized that I could easily adjust my hybrid swing to take distance off and I could be better served with another wedge. With so many aggressively lofted sets, taking out the long irons can be readily done.

Despite loving the results of my best shots with the 4-iron, the reality is that my mediocre shots with a 4i don't hold a candle to my mediocre shots with a 4-hybrid in terms of distance, consistency, and direction. Heck, I've even replaced my 5 iron, though it occasionally makes its way back into the bag (the wonders of loft-adjustable hybrids!)

I have tinkering the idea of doing this myself and change up the hybrid set up to accommodate the change. It will also allow for a a 58 to fit in my bag so it just makes sense

Yes, albeit reluctantly at first. I like the look of my 4i much better at address and also like the feel/trajectory better when struck solid; however, the reality was that I am way more consistent with the hybrid. After using the 4i all last season, I'm officially going 4h in 2014.

Back