Please, Please, Please, don't do or try this, or any other videos you see on YouTube ad hoc. You're already pushing off your left leg really hard, and odds are, you'll keep doing it the same way. And you don't want to be that far on your left side, but do what you want.

I guess I can only try a couple different changes and see if they help or hinder me? I do think straightening up at address is gonna help a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve started going back through my old Ben Hogan’s 5 steps book and trying to adjust everything from the start. But I know exactly what you mean about setting up different for the hook, I’ve been very guilty of that in the past! I think a lot of my hook actually came from too strong of a grip even after changing that it made a huge difference. I will give the feet pointing slightly left of the target and club straight a go and see what happens thanks for that tip!

I swear everytime I go to the range to work on my swing I’m telling myself in my head swing slow swing slow and then all of a sudden there is no slow hahaha!

Yep. Been there. Hurry up and kill it mode. Gets harder when you have pain as you want it to be over quicker.
Pro gave me the thought "180" cause I just wanted to KILL the driver. He said think like you're just trying to bunt it out there 180 and swing easy.
When you do, of course it goes way further than 180 without any effort and finally figured it out to try not to kill it SO badly. :ROFLMAO:
It's awesome to establish a baseline swing speed, and know what's still on tap if you need it.
One of the most fun drills you can do that people will look at you weird are like 1/4 or 1/2 swings with driver. Just engrains that couple feet before and after impact sensation and squaring the face and the weight transfer. If you can hit a 30 yard drive straight, you can hit one 300 straight too. (y)

When you do, of course it goes way further than 180 without any effort and finally figured it out to try not to kill it SO badly. :ROFLMAO:

I did this today. I posted in other threads about an issue with my AoA and getting too steep. I tried to slow and keep my back swing more compact and then made sure to get that weight back on my left leg, while swinging with modest effort. I was hitting them dead straight and still carrying 200. If I can slowly add just a bit of additional energy to it, I can work back towards mid-200s and be in the fairway more consistently.

Been a few months and some practice and swing adjustments! Thinking I’m improving off popping on the front foot and knee not as much smother slower swing. Thought I’d share for the ones that saw the original swing to access improvements and things to continue to improve on! Thanks

View attachment trim.FD9C252E-DDC9-4322-B54C-540DE2044E36.MOV

Attachments

• trim.21920C43-90DC-48B9-9DBF-4B511A1F75E2.MOV
    3.3 MB
You're too bent over at SetUp, then you don't get enough rotation on the way back and have the face open on the way down. Standing up and throwing your angles is how you square up the face.

You're too bent over at SetUp, then you don't get enough rotation on the way back and have the face open on the way down. Standing up and throwing your angles is how you square up the face.

Thanks mate, I tried straightening up a bit today was really uncomfortable but I’ll keep trying and see how I go!

Question for TrueMotionGolf- is he taking the club back using excessive hand/arm motion rather than using his turn? Appreciate your reply.

From today sorry bit dark sun was going down

View attachment 8973914
I'll throw in my 2 cents because I've fought a more mild case of early extension for some time and got rid of it after some experimentation and checking positions. A still-shot of your swing at impact shows a pull away, standing away from the ball, or EE.

What I found to end EE are two things. First, my shoulders would rotate back "on camera", but towards the last 1/3rd of the backswing my arms would finish to the top, thus my shoulders were more 70 degrees in turn, not near 90 degrees. What happens there is my shoulders have a "head start" on the down swing. Hence on the down swing my upper body is already facing the ball while the club head is still "back there". So the only option is to go from 0-100 on the down swing to catch-up to my shoulders before they rotate past the ball, if that makes sense.

Next check your hip turn on the back swing. From what I can tell your hips are nearly facing the ball at the top. Again, and like the shoulders, that means your hips have a considerable head start on the down swing and thus they must stop to wait for the club head, for which again you'll have to go 0-100 from the top to catch-up to your hips, thus your hips have to stop and wait. I hear guys say to themselves "finish your swing!" after a bad shot all the time. They can't because their body has to stop and wait. It was nearly impossible for me to get my hips turned more towards target line at impact until I ended the head-start of my shoulders and hips on the down swing.

I highly suggest getting an impact bag to practice / experiment with the positions and sequencing required to get into a more powerful impact position and most importantly, to also understand what causes you to early extend, like actually try to early extend to see what body movements are required so you know what not to do! :D

I'll throw in my 2 cents because I've fought a more mild case of early extension for some time and got rid of it after some experimentation and checking positions. A still-shot of your swing at impact shows a pull away, standing away from the ball, or EE.

What I found to end EE are two things. First, my shoulders would rotate back "on camera", but towards the last 1/3rd of the backswing my arms would finish to the top, thus my shoulders were more 70 degrees in turn, not near 90 degrees. What happens there is my shoulders have a "head start" on the down swing. Hence on the down swing my upper body is already facing the ball while the club head is still "back there". So the only option is to go from 0-100 on the down swing to catch-up to my shoulders before they rotate past the ball, if that makes sense.

Next check your hip turn on the back swing. From what I can tell your hips are nearly facing the ball at the top. Again, and like the shoulders, that means your hips have a considerable head start on the down swing and thus they must stop to wait for the club head, for which again you'll have to go 0-100 from the top to catch-up to your hips, thus your hips have to stop and wait. I hear guys say to themselves "finish your swing!" after a bad shot all the time. They can't because their body has to stop and wait. It was nearly impossible for me to get my hips turned more towards target line at impact until I ended the head-start of my shoulders and hips on the down swing.

I highly suggest getting an impact bag to practice / experiment with the positions and sequencing required to get into a more powerful impact position and most importantly, to also understand what causes you to early extend, like actually try to early extend to see what body movements are required so you know what not to do! :D

Awesome! Thanks a lot for that, I get what you mean after watching it back and reading though. I’ll try to implement some things to alter it and see how it goes. But thanks again for the detailed explanation much appreciated

Awesome! Thanks a lot for that, I get what you mean after watching it back and reading though. I’ll try to implement some things to alter it and see how it goes. But thanks again for the detailed explanation much appreciated

No problem! It will all make sense once you get an impact bag and run some trials. I can tell you this....I have had people hit my bag who cannot get into impact position at ALL....but when they hit the bag something weird happens and they get it instantly. I'm not BS'ing. Seriously. There's something about hitting the bag that elicits proper "whip action" movement.

From today sorry bit dark sun was going down

View attachment 8973914
Setup still needs a ton of work and you still aren’t rotating back enough. Then u pull the club down and stand up. It’s all a reaction to setup and your backswing depth.

The downswing will not change until u change the setup and backswing. It can’t if you want any chance of hitting the ball. You must standup to square it up. You could tilt back to the right on downswing too but then you’ll get hooks and blocks.

it’s winter soon...let’s rebuild it. 💪👍

Question for TrueMotionGolf- is he taking the club back using excessive hand/arm motion rather than using his turn? Appreciate your reply.
He can’t turn because he’s not in balance. He starts out pretty good, but his poor setup is restricting his turn. No depth and on his heels.Butt should be right of the left yellow line. Armpits on the right yellow line.

Attachments

• D2DD589C-9A65-4C05-801B-4F83553A7076.jpeg
    D2DD589C-9A65-4C05-801B-4F83553A7076.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 9
Stand tall is what my pro says. The longer the club the straighter I am. With driver, I have almost 0 knee bend. I make sure I stand tall through my back as well. I am relaxed not rigid though. When I concentrate on setting up this way I hit my longest and straightest drives. I think it is different for everybody to a certain degree though.

As already pointed out, your timing is off. Your hands are arriving before your hips which will make it go left. If hips arrive first it will go right. I am guessing you are not swinging your full normal speed too. I tend to do that when a control issue arises. That usually makes it worse because it throws off all your timing and you are no longer in sync.

This may sound funny but, try going to the range and start hitting drives with small swings. Like half swings or a little less to start. Get comfortable in your setup, don’t hold back but don’t try and kill it either just your normal speed. As they start straightening out, make your swing a little bigger. Keep doing that a little at a time until you work your way to a full swing. I am thinking you are mostly just out of sync.

He can’t turn because he’s not in balance. He starts out pretty good, but his poor setup is restricting his turn. No depth and on his heels.Butt should be right of the left yellow line. Armpits on the right yellow line.

This is really helpful, I was an athlete and a weight lifter so weight distribution is different for that and it’s really a big thing I have to adjust. Like for squatting you drive through your heels and balance your weight different. Such a struggle to swap back. Years ago I could go between the two but these days it seems it’s engrained even though I haven’t trained in 2 years and lost most of my extra size. I’ve also got a ridiculous laundry list of injuries so some rotations are just not possible, though I try to push these rotations as best I can. My left leg is 80% metal, blown out back and a lesion in my neck. Knees have been reco’d 2-4 times each knee. I’m willing to try to push movements but some I think I may never fully get back.

Stand tall is what my pro says. The longer the club the straighter I am. With driver, I have almost 0 knee bend. I make sure I stand tall through my back as well. I am relaxed not rigid though. When I concentrate on setting up this way I hit my longest and straightest drives. I think it is different for everybody to a certain degree though.

As already pointed out, your timing is off. Your hands are arriving before your hips which will make it go left. If hips arrive first it will go right. I am guessing you are not swinging your full normal speed too. I tend to do that when a control issue arises. That usually makes it worse because it throws off all your timing and you are no longer in sync.

This may sound funny but, try going to the range and start hitting drives with small swings. Like half swings or a little less to start. Get comfortable in your setup, don’t hold back but don’t try and kill it either just your normal speed. As they start straightening out, make your swing a little bigger. Keep doing that a little at a time until you work your way to a full swing. I am thinking you are mostly just out of sync.

Oh 100% this is like my telling myself to swing slow haha! I did actually try half swings for ages to get a rhythm and i think it definitely helped. I think your definitely right though I am probably throwing my timing off because of trying to swing slower to gain more control. I feel like my regular speed feels much more comfortable obviously but if I can get it right slower than I can start ramping it up. But maybe trying to to swing less and build that up is an option too!

But also my terrible swing that I have these days, actually mostly that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

Last edited:
While I understand some of the comments about his setup position, I personally don't see a problem. Some folks feel more balanced in different setup positions.

Look at Kevin Sutherland....Lunopapi looks like he's standing straight compared to KS. I realize KS's setup is not "traditional" but heck, he's on TV and I'm sitting here typing about his swing! :D

Attachments

• 2020-11-13_7-15-01.jpg
    2020-11-13_7-15-01.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 8
While I understand some of the comments about his setup position, I personally don't see a problem. Some folks feel more balanced in different setup positions.

Look at Kevin Sutherland....Lunopapi looks like he's standing straight compared to KS. I realize KS's setup is not "traditional" but heck, he's on TV and I'm sitting here typing about his swing! :D
He’s done that his whole life well. So he’s built compensations to be able to do it. DJ is same (on his toes) and is able to save it and not fall on his face.

We wouldn’t want someone to keep doing something if they weren’t successful at it. The OP said he’s struggling with shaft humping, why show him someone who does the same thing he’s doing and is a short hitter? That’s just crazy talk.

There is no anatomical or balanced way to stay in that posture and make consistent and powerful contact for most people. That is 100% fact.

He’s done that his whole life well. So he’s built compensations to be able to do it. DJ is same (on his toes) and is able to save it and not fall on his face.

We wouldn’t want someone to keep doing something if they weren’t successful at it. The OP said he’s struggling with shaft humping, why show him someone who does the same thing he’s doing and is a short hitter? That’s just crazy talk.

There is no anatomical or balanced way to stay in that posture and make consistent and powerful contact for most people. That is 100% fact.
Matt, KS is far more bent over than the OP. Besides, if setup position corelated to scratch golf we'd all be scratch golfers. I realize there's a "standard" to start from, but for every position someone says is "correct" there's many other positions that deviate on tour who are hall of fame golfers, and positions that deviate from setup to the top and even the downswing. Then we rationalize the deviations by saying they're unique, one-off's. But the problem is there's 1,000's of one-off's on tour over the past 70 years.

I wonder how many guys wouldn't have made it on tour if someone wanted them to swing a different way instead of how they perceive, feel, and execute the swing. I believe Trevino's golf coach told him he'd never make it on tour. Garcia's swing is something nobody would teach. Couple's lifts the club to the top. Daly's excessively long backswing. Furyk. The list goes on and on.

Matt, KS is far more bent over than the OP. Besides, if setup position corelated to scratch golf we'd all be scratch golfers. I realize there's a "standard" to start from, but for every position someone says is "correct" there's many other positions that deviate on tour who are hall of fame golfers, and positions that deviate from setup to the top and even the downswing. Then we rationalize the deviations by saying they're unique, one-off's. But the problem is there's 1,000's of one-off's on tour over the past 70 years.

I wonder how many guys wouldn't have made it on tour if someone wanted them to swing a different way instead of how they perceive, feel, and execute the swing. I believe Trevino's golf coach told him he'd never make it on tour. Garcia's swing is something nobody would teach. Couple's lifts the club to the top. Daly's excessively long backswing. Furyk. The list goes on and on.
Agreed if you’re really a good player and can hit the ball straight and far, why change? No reason.

But, if you are having issues, odds are; setting you up for success by giving you the best chance of staying in balance and moving properly is the way to go. Up then down, tall then look like KS. Plus from a health perspective it’s gonna save his already ailing back and left leg.

Following what KS is doing is gonna be like banging your head against a wall. I see it all the time!

Agreed if you’re really a good player and can hit the ball straight and far, why change? No reason.

But, if you are having issues, odds are; setting you up for success by giving you the best chance of staying in balance and moving properly is the way to go. Up then down, tall then look like KS. Plus from a health perspective it’s gonna save his already ailing back and left leg.

Following what KS is doing is gonna be like banging your head against a wall. I see it all the time!
Matt, I'm not arguing that your advice is flawed, but at the same time there are so many deviations between what's taught vs. what we see on tour that there's no real way to determine that any address position within reason is "bad". Plus, I didn't advise to follow KS...but then again nobody would say to follow DJ who is in the top 1% on tour, or many other tour pro's, so in reality there's no magic solution / position. The dynamics that occur during the swing are far more interesting to me than static address position because many things can go awry during the swing. I think we can agree on that point.

Back