Latest ridiculous statement about men vs women in golf

...The thing that gets me with the ladies, and I’m sure they sometimes 3 putt like everyone else, is their putting. Just eyeballing it, and I don’t know if stats would back this or not? But I’ve gotta imagine they’re better putters overall than the PGA men. If they don’t make it it’s almost always a tap-in. Guys seem to like more of a challenge. See a lot more barely missable putts for second putts. They make most of them but it’s a lot more stress than a 12” comeback...
I've never seen stats on it either, but I've often thought the same thing about their putting. It seems like they leave them a lot closer to the hole when they do miss.

I would absolutely love to see one of the LPGA players call that guy out and tell him to put his money where his mouth is. It would be fun to watch him get thrashed and humiliated on public television.

Here is the link to the USGA’s odds chart for players shooting a score below their handicap. Given the average LPGA round score of 67, I would guess a 4 hcp player would have to shoot 8 differential points below his handicap to even have a remote chance of winning. His odds of doing that in one round are approx 20,000:1. And now he has to do that 4 rounds in a row. Safe to assume dude has no idea what he is talking about.

The 4HC guy is as stupid as stupid gets

This was posted in response to that claim:

The good LPGA pros handicaps are typically in the +3 to +4 range, and can drop to +5 when playing well (these are male handicaps). I even looked at Ryann O'Toole who was 100th in average scoring last year on the LPGA tour, and her handicap for the year was typically between +1 to +2, and was generally closer to +2. This doesn't even take into account that most players handicaps are going to be higher without the luxury of playing the home course, playing when you feel like it, playing when its nice, and playing when there's nothing on the line. The gap between pro-athletes and amateurs is immense and almost always underestimated - golf is no exception.

Why is that?

Yeah, can't say that I agree there either.

6,600-6,700 yards plays fairly short for me and same for my buddies of similar index.

Our tips are 7,000 yards but the front from the back tees is only 3,400 yards. So, somewhat close to the 6,700 yard assertion.

I played them today for 9 and these were my approach yardages and hole yardages as listed on the card. So of course some played shorter, some longer than posted yardage, depending upon pin placement:

1. 94 to white pin (388)
2. 138 to blue (415)
3. 174 red (194)
4. 215 to white (527)
5. 128 to blue (379)
6. 88 to red (358)
7. 207 to white (205)
8. 255 to blue (536)
9. 135 to red (394)

(I bogeyed 8 & 9 in the rain to finish +2 ) Longest iron I pulled was 6-iron on par 5 #4 and par 3 #7 with a helping breeze for each shot. Longest club I pulled into a par 4 was a backed off 9-iron into the uphill #9 green.

I'm fairly long but really, some of similar index at my club are longer, many who aren't are within a club of me. Most who I've seen, are just fine at the 7,000 yard back tees, including the harder and longer back 9.

Stroke play no way. Match play, I’d say he has a chance. I only base this on my recent experience playing a +5 straight up and taking him to hole 13 before he finally closed out the match.

The good LPGA pros handicaps are typically in the +3 to +4 range, and can drop to +5 when playing well (these are male handicaps). I even looked at Ryann O'Toole who was 100th in average scoring last year on the LPGA tour, and her handicap for the year was typically between +1 to +2, and was generally closer to +2. This doesn't even take into account that most players handicaps are going to be higher without the luxury of playing the home course, playing when you feel like it, playing when its nice, and playing when there's nothing on the line. The gap between pro-athletes and amateurs is immense and almost always underestimated - golf is no exception.
...not to mention that the LPGA pros are playing courses that are in tournament conditions (faster/trickier greens, taller rough, etc.). There's a big difference between a 4 hcp playing friendly rounds with their buds on their home track that they know like the back of their hand, and the LPGA ladies playing courses they've played maybe a handful of times, in tournament conditions, with their livelihood on the line, galleries following and TV cameras on them.

I'm no 4 handicap by any stretch, but if I was standing on the tee box on a Friday afternoon knowing that I needed at least a birdie to make the cut, or standing over a slippery downhill 6-foot putt on Sunday afternoon with a couple hundred thousand dollars riding on the outcome, surrounded by a gallery and TV cameras all around me, I'd be shaking like a leaf and I'd probably puke all over the place right there in front of everybody. That's a lot more pressure than playing for a beer after the round, or a 20 dollar Nassau - or even playing your club championship for bragging rights and a cheap plastic trophy.

Just to get back to the offending statement, this poor knucklehead didn't say a 4 hcp could compete on the LPGA. He said a 4 hcp could regularly shoot mid-60's from the forward tees (I doubt it).
He also said there were "thousands of men" who could compete on the LPGA tour. FWIW, I think he's right on that second point. Could the 2001st world-ranked male golfer compete? I'd wager yes.

This is one of the most ridiculous, sexist statements that could be made related to sports. I have been a 3.8 index this year, so I fit the criterion. I started a thread last Friday about an experience I had that day playing with a fringe LPGA tour player. She could wipe the floor with me. She was every bit as long with driver and she told me that she was short on tour. That was just a friendly afternoon round at my home course. Add in the fact that they are battle tested under pressure and I wouldn’t bet a dime that I could compete.

This kind of b.s. gets old. Don’t know how else to say it.

I think a +2 who is competitive in state level tournaments could give an LPGA player a game if they stretched to 7K plus yards. From 6600 they would get beat handily. The only chance is to have length be a differentiator (is that a word?). There are a few LPGA pros that have length but on average they are shorter than a +2 mens am.

I am a 3.5 index right now and I have only broken par once (71) this year and that was from 6300 yards. As a 3.5 index my average score is around 78. I would get beaten like a drum.

This guy posits a 4 Hcp guy could beat the LPGA pros, I say NOPE. I don't see any 0 Hcp'ers who could either. What say you?
They are incredible with hybrids and a 4 stands a 1 in 10000 chance of beating them, if I were to guess.

Interesting thread here that sheds some light on the subject for anyone who's interested. Played the same course as the ladies in an invitational at Wilshire Country Club were they ladies play the Hugel Classic. Was set up a bit longer and tougher for us, but still a fun comparison. The thread is LONG, so take a deep breath if you're going to jump in! :)

Couple questions for you:

Do you play competitively?

Have you ever played with an LPGA Pro?

Interesting thread here that sheds some light on the subject for anyone who's interested. Played the same course as the ladies in an invitational at Wilshire Country Club were they ladies play the Hugel Classic. Was set up a bit longer and tougher for us, but still a fun comparison. The thread is LONG, so take a deep breath if you're going to jump in! :)

Egads, all the mathematical masturbation in that thread just about gave me a headache!

I commented earlier when I was 4.3 that it was ridiculous as consistency, as for most golfers, can be fleeting for a 4 HC. Highlighted that by saying that I had 5 birdies in a very recent round yet still only shot 74.

Well, today, err... yesterday, at now 3.5 I ALSO carded 5 birdies yet only managed a +1, 73.

Yeah, you pick the LPGA player. Give me the last on the list and she'll absolutely clean my clock.

Yeah, can't say that I agree there either.

6,600-6,700 yards plays fairly short for me and same for my buddies of similar index.

Our tips are 7,000 yards but the front from the back tees is only 3,400 yards. So, somewhat close to the 6,700 yard assertion.

I played them today for 9 and these were my approach yardages and hole yardages as listed on the card. So of course some played shorter, some longer than posted yardage, depending upon pin placement:

1. 94 to white pin (388)
2. 138 to blue (415)
3. 174 red (194)
4. 215 to white (527)
5. 128 to blue (379)
6. 88 to red (358)
7. 207 to white (205)
8. 255 to blue (536)
9. 135 to red (394)

(I bogeyed 8 & 9 in the rain to finish +2 ) Longest iron I pulled was 6-iron on par 5 #4 and par 3 #7 with a helping breeze for each shot. Longest club I pulled into a par 4 was a backed off 9-iron into the uphill #9 green.

I'm fairly long but really, some of similar index at my club are longer, many who aren't are within a club of me. Most who I've seen, are just fine at the 7,000 yard back tees, including the harder and longer back 9.
This is all fine and good, but what you provided is remarkably lacking for details to support your notion that a 4 or higher index should be playing 6700+ often. Sure, a course that allows you to hit driver on every single Par 4 and Par 5 is fine to play at a longer yardage, but a good course likely requires other clubs off the tee. Beyond that, if the course doesn't require you to hit other clubs off the tee, there is a good chance it is because the course is too big for you.

What's the course rating? Slope? Is it dry or do you only get a yard or two of roll?

On top of that, as a 5 index, one would not expect you to be even par through 7 particularly often, so you were likely hitting the ball well.

I've been in the gallery for a few LPGA tournaments, and can tell you that they hammer a ball. I saw Lexi Thompson hit a 3-wood off a tee that sounded like a rifle shot. I followed Mel Reid once at the Solheim Cup (only partially creeping), and she hit her irons a looooong way. I'm fairly sure an LPGA pro would win in 9 out of 10 rounds.

Lexi hits the ball a long way. She's as long as my long(ish) mid-am buddies for sure.

Egads, all the mathematical masturbation in that thread just about gave me a headache!
It's a lot of pages. What was the conclusion?

This guy posits a 4 Hcp guy could beat the LPGA pros, I say NOPE. I don't see any 0 Hcp'ers who could either. What say you?
I logged in just to respond. I am a mid-handicapper. I’ve been single digit but no longer. I’ve attended two majors: the US Open at Congressional and the PGA at Oakland Hills. I’ve attended the Buick Open. Last year the LPGA came to my town and played a team event at the Midland CC. I took a few employees to give them a half day off work on day # 2. I was hooked. I returned the next day and followed Paula Creamer for 18 holes and then went back and followed another group. I returned Sunday and followed Lily M He for 10 holes. I walked with her dad. It was the most awesome experience. The girls were amazing. I brought my laser range finder and the girls were bombing the ball. I can’t remember how far but I would say that they put it out there another 30-50 yards past me. I even found myself walking inside the ropes by mistake. It was so watchable you could enjoy it. I saw Paula chunk low iron shot after she drove a par 4 on the previous hole but that was the only bad shot I witnessed all week. They were incredible. I spoke with young ladies that volunteered who said they were going to sight up for golf lessons.

I enjoyed this experience more than any of the other golf events I attended in the past.
There wasn’t one girl out there that I could of beat on my best day.

I logged in just to respond. I am a mid-handicapper. I’ve been single digit but no longer. I’ve attended two majors: the US Open at Congressional and the PGA at Oakland Hills. I’ve attended the Buick Open. Last year the LPGA came to my town and played a team event at the Midland CC. I took a few employees to give them a half day off work on day # 2. I was hooked. I returned the next day and followed Paula Creamer for 18 holes and then went back and followed another group. I returned Sunday and followed Lily M He for 10 holes. I walked with her dad. It was the most awesome experience. The girls were amazing. I brought my laser range finder and the girls were bombing the ball. I can’t remember how far but I would say that they put it out there another 30-50 yards past me. I even found myself walking inside the ropes by mistake. It was so watchable you could enjoy it. I saw Paula chunk low iron shot after she drove a par 4 on the previous hole but that was the only bad shot I witnessed all week. They were incredible. I spoke with young ladies that volunteered who said they were going to sight up for golf lessons.

I enjoyed this experience more than any of the other golf events I attended in the past.
There wasn’t one girl out there that I could of beat on my best day.

Agreed. They are crazy good. Rarely out of position and they can putt lights out as a general group. I’d expect to be murdered on the course by the lowest ranking LPGA player from any distance on any course-on my best day.

Back