Least Favorite Type of Golf Course

I've never played a true links course, so can't really consider them. Other than links courses, if conditions are good, i like most types of courses. Two exceptions are condo lined courses and courses with ridiculous green undulations.

An expensive and/or well manicured course with no memorable holes

I intensely dislike target courses. Won't play them.
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

I intensely dislike target courses. Won't play them.
This. I hate courses that make me play a distance to a dog leg, or to lay up to a specific place. Nothing worse than having to play 4i 7i on a hole. Or having to play a par 5 going 7w, 5i, 9i (yes that’s a specific hole at a course near me)

Lots of Blind shots or lots of left to right holes

Goat tracks or extremely crowded courses are the only ones I hate. Otherwise I like them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Years ago i played the Nelson course (Falcon) at Wild Wing in Myrtle. It seemed like almost every hole was the same. Straight with mounds on both sides of fairway. Very monotonous. They paid Nelson to design that? Bad job Larry but hey he got paid LOL!

Links. I hate long grass.

parkland courses...i hate trees

Courses with a majority of holes that are near 90 degree doglegs. It gets monotonous.
Also don't like courses where nearly every green has a bunker near from edge of green. A couple of those near me, I don't bother with them any more.

Houses crowding the fairway are on the top of my hate list. One course I used to play on in a league had a dogleg I would hit the mini driver over the house right in the corner to land a little lob wedge from the green. I have seen that house hit innumerable times. Many other stupid holes there as well. I liked the guys on that league, but I hated the course so much I quit. Course would have been really nice but for the houses being 10 yards off the fairway., I often didn't try shots because them not turning properly would put them on a patio if they went straight........

I don’t like gimmicky holes on a course, you know the 350yd dog leg left/right but the driving distance before the dog leg is like 100-125yds w/flag in the middle of the fairway for a reference point… there is a course about 10mins from my home that has 4 on the course and 2 of which are imho so gimmicky it is actually shameful imho.

Poorly conditioned parkland.

I've played Nicklaus designed courses in video games and absolutely hated them.

My least favorite type of course has a lot of water and long forced carries involving water or ravines. I don't mind woods. I'm in the woods a lot and I got good at hitting out of them. Once the ball goes in the water it's gone, and you've lost $3 + you get a penalty stroke. If you miss the forced carry, you get stroke + distance + you lost $3. Sometimes there are snakes in the ravines. I don't like snakes.

Add one more....

Courses that have a couple of trees that they let one side of the tree grow over the fairway to purposely obstruct an approach. The other side of the tree is trimmed. I'm waiting for the tree to fall over. I want to come out one evening with a chainsaw and properly trim the tree so it doesn't split... which it will eventually do. Don't these people care about how the tree feels? Imagine if you were forced to lean over like you were playing a 33" putter and stay that way the entire day with no support. That's how that tree must feel.

And forced layups. If obstacle like water wasn't there, you could maybe try for the par 5 in two shots, but because there's water there, you have to hit an 8i for your second shot which leaves you a wedge shot over the water onto the green.

Back