Legal question regarding a Calcutta

bogeybrain

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Posting from my phone and no idea which it's in.

We have a charity tournament here every year that helps kids tremendously. We get players from Florida to North Carolina . It's a 3 day tournament that is flighted in the final round. In the past they have tried a Calcutta and cops literally came to the elks lodge and confiscated the money. Is there any way that you can legally bet or have a Calcutta.

For those who don't know what a Calcutta is it is an auction where you can bid on who is going to win.

I'm not sure about the legal or illegal aspect of it, but if cops are busting it up, then there probably isn't a way to get around it unless you greatly reduce the amount of money involved... I feel like this is some sort of gambling situation that is large enough for the city to not want in existence...

Also, for all those that play in this, it goes against the rules to participate as an amateur... But that's probably not very important here hah.

Invite the Mayor and some judges to participate!

From my experience with fishing tournaments, calcuttas are pretty much illegal. There might be ways around it but it's gambling nontheless, not that I have a problem with gambling.

Edit to say that I am not a lawyer and have no legal background, just speaking from my experience.

Call it a "lottery" instead of a Calcutta.

Hmmm ... Lottery ? I wonder if that would work .. Probably not but you never know . Any lawyers on this site? I'm sure there has to be

Back