Lessons learned...?

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
Bobby Jones was quoted as saying.... “One reason golf is such an exasperating game is that a thing learned is so easily forgotten, and we find ourselves struggling year after year with faults we had discovered and corrected time and again.” What is one of those things that you keep “struggling” with from time to time...???

I think one of mine is forgetting about my “miss.” I actually hit a lot of straight shots....but, my miss can be a fade - and sometimes a hard fade. I tell myself to watch out for that....but, then I get into a rythem where I’m hitting well....then, out of nowhere, here comes that miss that I didn’t allow for. Hmmmm...

Mine is the slice, it's a fine line between the fade I prefer to play and a big old banana split. 😔

Making sure I follow thru all the time. I have a habit of only going 3/4 way and bad things happen with the driver like that.

Making sure I follow thru all the time. I have a habit of only going 3/4 way and bad things happen with the driver like that.

That’s mine as well, but it extends to all the clubs. When I’m making myself follow through, I hit some good shots. When I’m cutting my swing off bad things happen.

I would certainly agree. It's always frustrating when on the 17th you remember the swing key you found last week that made you play well.

Letting myself get too far from the ball with it too far back in my stance. I need to feel like I'm on top of the ball with it positioned just inside my left heel on all shots.

Mine would be clear and effective decision making from a course management point of view. Sometimes I zone out without realising it and before I know it I’ve dropped a shot or more and can’t believe what I’ve just done “I should know better.”

You don't need to hit the flop shot, just get it on the green!

Don't flip, don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip,don't flip, don't flip !!!!

That stupid ****ing hook. Then I'll start holding onto the release which causes blocks. I want to change my stock shot to a fade.

I have to remember not to swipe at the ball, instead of a nice even tempo swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to put the ball too far forward in my stance. Exacerbates my left to right shots.

I tend to over swing getting completely out of rhythm. So now on every shot I remind myself " Slow is smooth, smooth Is fast". It helps but I still stink.

Cock and recock. So I've had a slice since the 80's and started taking lessons from a retired college coach and former club pro. He taught me this to change the timing on my release, which moves me from the slice category to between straight and a draw. This make me soooooo freaking happy. Hop i will always remember this.

I constantly have to re-learn the difference between "playing smart" and "playing scared".

Examples:

1) Faced with a narrow fairway. I will stupidly hit 5-wood or even 5-iron instead of driver, believing that "guarantees" I'll hit it straight. Then I hit it in the woods anyway.
2) On a bad day with my short game. I will stupidly putt from 20 yards off the green instead of chipping the ball. Then I scuff the putt and come up short of the green anyway.
3) Pitching wedge shot off a soft, wet fairway. I will be worried about hitting it fat so I try to "pick it clean" and blade it over the green.

Common thread is trying to think my way out of hitting a shot that makes me nervous instead of just stepping up and executing a normal, stock shot. One way or another, it's all about execution in the end. Not about being clever.

Soling the club too heavily which forces me to pick the club up abruptly on the take away. I catch myself doing it with every club in the bag.

The other thing is letting the ball get too far forward in my stance.

Oh yeah, reaching for the ball

Also, letting my left hand grip get "sloppy"

I'm sure there are more

My miss would be with my irons where I try to give it that little bit of extra oooomfp at impact and the result is it will go left. I just need to rely on a nice smooth consistent tempo from the top right through impact. That will result in better contact and tighter dispersion. Sometimes easier said, then done.

When you are learning a new move, ingrain it at 50% speed, and once you have your swing, relax and swing without thought.

Last edited:
Back