Levers in a Golf Swing

I assume Malaska is talking about levers with his L to L drills . The cocking and uncocking of the wrists.
Wrist levers are probably some of the most used in the golf swing for many. I can cock my wrists and get some amazing, almost unbelievable speeds. We were experimenting a few times last year on the LM and my buddy simply could not believe the numbers I was producing over my regular numbers by using the wrist cock and uncock. An easy 5 to 10 mph SS increase by doing nothing but adding those excessive wrists movements.

I got up to 115 with the driver a few times during those experiments by the wrist "snap" and most would say that is impossible, but you can make the wrist almost slingshot the club just before and right at the point of contact. But as I told him my wrists are way too weak and it isn't long before I start having bad pain. I have to keep my wrists way more rigid in the golf swing or I would not be playing golf long.

I can attest that my left wrist still hurts some months after the experiment which now I am wondering why I even attempted it. I do know one golfer in our weekly seniors group that does the wrist snap (cock/uncock) and that is how he plays all the time. He has developed it and it looks weird when you watch him play. People often comment about his swing. He is consistent with the wrists, but his game is not consistent.

It sort of just happened and he has played that way for years and years now and would be very difficult for him to change. IMO I would tend to shy away from a lot of wrists action in the golf swing as I feel it would cause problems later on in life, unless your wrists are one of your strong body points then you could build on it.

Probably not an issue on slower swings, but at my age, I am not even entertaining it cause the last thing I need is more pain in my levers :ROFLMAO:

It is impossible to discuss the correct golf swing without discussing - levers . The correct golf swing is nothing but leverage ! The human body is a complex lever !

My wrists are weak so I've never tried to take a divot , maybe just try and pinch the ball off the turf.

Long arc creates speed without having to swing fast, if that makes sense. Long arc is a great way to just keep it simple and let the work happen all on its own.
I only understand simple. To me, long arc makes sense.

The humans ** wrist ** are joints on the ends of it’s arms that allow its ** dominant hands ** to rotate in many different directions . Without * wrist * joints the human could not perform the many complicated task it does . The ** wrist ** are entirely subservient to it’s dominant HANDS ! They move in the directions their boss instructs them just as the arms do also .
If the ** wrist ** are used to hit , throw or release or allowed to intentionally uncock at any time during the DS *** Conservation of Angular Momentum *** is destroyed.

The humans ** wrist ** are joints on the ends of it’s arms that allow its ** dominant hands ** to rotate in many different directions . Without * wrist * joints the human could not perform the many complicated task it does . The ** wrist ** are entirely subservient to it’s dominant HANDS ! They move in the directions their boss instructs them just as the arms do also .
If the ** wrist ** are used to hit , throw or release or allowed to intentionally uncock at any time during the DS *** Conservation of Angular Momentum *** is destroyed.
Using a flexible piece of rope to illustrate and improve a golf swing is - totally opposite the correct method for a golf swing and is extremely detrimental to learning the correct swing !

It is impossible to discuss the correct golf swing without discussing - levers . The correct golf swing is nothing but leverage ! The human body is a complex lever !
Thats simply not true, but you have made it clear it is impossible for YOU to discuss the golf swing without the term levers or dominant hands. Over and over and over and over and over...Regardless of the thread.

Thats simply not true, but you have made it clear it is impossible for YOU to discuss the golf swing without the term levers or dominant hands. Over and over and over and over and over...Regardless of the thread.
OK - please explain to me - why the human is not a system of levers? That the hundreds of muscles in our body don’t pull on our 206 bones to form - levers? That the golf shaft is nit used as a lever when we attach it to our hands?

OK - please explain to me - why the human is not a system of levers? That the hundreds of muscles in our body don’t pull on our 206 bones to form - levers? That the golf shaft is nit used as a lever when we attach it to our hands?
Oh good lord, the fact that you got that out of my post says everything it needs to, to everybody on this forum.
Nobody said otherwise. You said it was not possible to discuss the correct golf swing without discussing levers. Like a lot of what you have shared, that is just completely false. I have had the privilege of spending time with many of the best players in the world talking golf swing, and it can absolutely be discussed without even mentioning the word.

Doesn't mean the body doesn't have them, that its not happening or anything else.

Oh good lord, the fact that you got that out of my post says everything it needs to, to everybody on this forum.
Nobody said otherwise. You said it was not possible to discuss the correct golf swing without discussing levers. Like a lot of what you have shared, that is just completely false. I have had the privilege of spending time with many of the best players in the world talking golf swing, and it can absolutely be discussed without even mentioning the word.

Doesn't mean the body doesn't have them, that its not happening or anything else.

Well - I guess I just see things differently than others. If the hands are the most dominant part of the body and they are the only connection between the player and shaft aren’t they used to form levers?

Using a flexible piece of rope to illustrate and improve a golf swing is - totally opposite the correct method for a golf swing and is extremely detrimental to learning the correct swing !
I post this more for others than for you, however I disagree with you and of course many, many, top pros disagree with you on this. The rope drill is one of the best drills a person can do especially if they are having pathing issues and it is the type of drill that most can do in their home if adequate space. It also teaches rhythm and finesse because you have to lay the rope on your body softly, or you will know it.

Just this past week we were working with a couple golfers and it was amazing after working with the rope drill how much difference it made. Of course it is something you have to do correctly, or it, like many other drills is a waste of time. The kettle bell is nice too for training better pelvic rotation.

The rope drill was one of the best I have ever started doing. I wished that I had done it several years ago. Since I have been doing the rope drill the last live rounds were amazing with the number of fairways I hit at full bore whereas I normally have to reserve my swing. My buddies were amazed as well.

Another benefit for me was I could even hit more on demand directional shots. The rope drill may not be for everyone because we are all different in our needs, but no doubt for many it is a lifesaver, reasonably cheap, and it is so easy to practice too.

Back