Lifting head help

lopsta5

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Freddie

This might be a silly question but at the moment i going through a bit of head lifting just before contact and its hurting my scoring, blading wedges across the green and not making proper contact.

So just asking if you have any drills or anything i can do to train myself to keep my head down that fraction longer?

Thank you

Not Freddie by any means but I will fight this time to time also. What has helped me is when practicing my buddy has me count to 3 outloud on the range before I can lift my head up to see the shot. If I am getting quick on the course and lifting my head up I have counted before also. It seems to help me and maybe will help you too. Good luck sure Freddie has a much better answer.

I also am not Freddie, but one thing I was given in lessons as a tip was to look at the grass in front of the ball, and wait until I see a divot or the grass being brushed before I lift my head to see the ball flight. It's worked really well for me.

Lifting head help

My opinion is most golf shots have less to do with what your head does and more to do with where your weight is in relationship to the low point of your swing.

Do drills to practice keeping your weight (center of chest) in front of the ball. Do drills to practice using the bounce of the club. Both of those drills should alleviate any chipping woes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the answers guys.

Your head cannot go anywhere by itself. Lifting the head is a symptom; not a disease. Identify the cause. Pulling away is likely a necessary move...and there are a few reasons that could be so: swinging too aggressively, stopping your turn, etc...Generally speaking; a golfer doesn't come out of a shot because they forgot to remember not to...they come out of the shot because they have no other choice.

Lopsta, I am freddie and it's not your head that is lifting. Your head can move all over the place. It's your spine angle that is being compromised. And on chip shots there is zero reason for you to lose spine angle.

Once you are set with knee flex, weight forward and spine angle, the arms move freely back and through. The weight forward helps with a descending blow on the ball.

Does that mean im standing up to quickly just before contact? I need to stay bent over that bit extra longer?

By head lifting i meant looking up to see the ball before actually hitting it.

Lopsta, I am freddie and it's not your head that is lifting. Your head can move all over the place. It's your spine angle that is being compromised. And on chip shots there is zero reason for you to lose spine angle.

Once you are set with knee flex, weight forward and spine angle, the arms move freely back and through. The weight forward helps with a descending blow on the ball.

DING, DING, DING, DING! That's it! Lopsta, to your follow on question, you aren't supposed to stand up on your downswing. You asked for a drill or something, so here is a swing thought a lot of golfers find helpful. Do what Freddie said, but as you swing think about turning back and through around a stable spine. It's supposed to be a swing and the swing is around your body with the spine as the centerpoint.

Tied a chain around your head and connect it to your testicles. You'll stop that raising up in one stroke. I promise this works. Try it.

I stopped thinking about head movement but instead I concentrate on my shoulder turn and spine alignment thru the whole swing. In time, this will become automatic.

Back