Lighter Shaft Weight in Irons

What’s the lightest weight and flex you would play?

• 121 + grams

• 105-120 grams

• 90-104 grams

• 75-89 grams

• 74 and less

• X-Stiff

• Stiff

• Regular

• Senior

• Ladies

Results are only viewable after voting.
After wasting an hour and a half at club champion this past weekend, I’m looking at getting a set of P790s with graphite shafts. Thing is, all the offerings and super light weight shafts in the 60g to 65g range. The last graphites I played were the recoil smacwrap shafts that I think were in the mid 70g range. They felt pretty light. I’m nervous about going to an even lighter shaft even though I’m a fairly smooth swinger that doesn’t generate a tonne of speed. Not sure my local golf mart even carries the graphite P790s to test either.

95, down from 105 ,in my irons and 65 in the driver. im really not sure what the lightest weight I’d play.

I'm in my 60's and if i play anything less than 90-100 I will get all armsy and loose my transition tempo.

I was surprised to hear bossman using 65g graphite. Interesting.

At 57, I went from AMT White S300 to 95g Fujikura Pro Iron. My body felt a lot better, but my game became wildly inconsistent, with many days of nothing but shanks. Prior to the AMT, I played 130g DG for the last 25+ years. I just play a lot better with heavier shafts.
Now that I just turned 60, I built a new set with AMT White X100 (SSx2), and have been hitting it better than I have in years.
I started working out to hopefully prevent fatigue.
If I need to move on, Dart V 120g will probably be my next shaft.

I went to 75g and found them a bit light. I tended to get a bit quick with them. I went to 95 and like them.

I’m playing 82 gram shafts in stiff now. That’s probably the lightest I should play. I’ll probably go back up in weight to a 105 class shaft in the future. I like a D4 to D6 swing weight and it’s easier to get there with heavier shafts.

I'm 62yo, and I was just fit by PXG into 60g MMT (65g) Senior. Option 2 was Accra i70 R.
I just got the PXG last week so the jury is still out.
Second guessing the shaft a bit already. I don't think I picked up any SS going that light, and they seem a little soft, and it's affecting ability to find the center of the face.
( I really like the heads, though )
Yesterdays round was hit and miss as far as my swing went, tight low back to start the morning. need a little more range and course time.
Range today and playing again tomorrow.
Last year I was fit by CC into SF i80 (85g) Reg.

Last edited:
Lowest i think i would go is 95g depending on the shaft. I am loving the 105 Darts i have now. Much better dispersion with the heavier shaft for me.

As light as I can get I think. Flex would be regular, senior, or even ladies. I'm not particular really I don't think. And there's no standard for flex anyway... whatever would be appropriate for a slow swing like mine would work.

I'm 62yo, and I was just fit by PXG into 60g MMT (65g) Senior. Option 2 was Accra i70 R.
I just got the PXG last week so the jury is still out.
Second guessing the shaft a bit already. I don't think I picked up any SS going that light, and they seem a little soft, and it's affecting ability to find the center of the face.
( I really like the heads, though )
Yesterdays round was hit and miss as far as my swing went, tight low back to start the morning. need a little more range and course time.
Range today and playing again tomorrow.
Last year I was fit by CC into SF i80 (85g) Reg.
After a couple of rounds I think these may be too light or too soft for me as I'm aving a little trouble finding the center of the face, which usually isn't an issue for me.
Gonna contact PXG fitter with some questions...

Back